Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Question What electrical polisher do you use?

Did a search, and couldn't find a discussion about just electrical polishers in here.

I waxed my Yaris by hand last Sunday, and boy, I can still feel my arms and shoulders! And to think I still have to apply 2 more coats of wax to complete the project, sigh, IDK if I have the courage to do it all by hand

What electrical polisher do you all use /and or recommend? Prices, links, pictures, even, and/or any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by tomato; 08-27-2009 at 09:18 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

anyone?

Should I have posted this in the general section instead?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
you should apply wax by hand, and not use a buffer. But use it after you you take off the wax. No slinging of wax, and not clogging of pads if you remove by hand.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
A Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbital polisher. Used it for almost 4 years now. I have to disagree with Ezhacker1. I use it (with the proper pad) to apply the cleaner, polish and wax. There is no way I could achieve the same results by hand. If you use the correct amount of product, there is no slinging of the wax nor clogging of the pads. More is not better in this case. Wax on, wax off with the Porter Cable.

Oh yeah, clay bar the paint after washing using a quick detailer as the lube, then use a cleaner, polish, then wax. It will take you a good half day to do all the steps, but with a P.C, you will still be able to brush your teeth at the end of the day.

Here's what I use:

End results, super slick paint.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
There others but if you want quality, look for a PorterCable like Herbicidal meantioned. I've been meaning to save up for one.

Herbicidal, Is Roseville norcal?...I would pay you to do my car if you were down here.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #6
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rningonfumes View Post
There others but if you want quality, look for a PorterCable like Herbicidal meantioned. I've been meaning to save up for one.

Herbicidal, Is Roseville norcal?...I would pay you to do my car if you were down here.
Yes - just north of Sacramento. Thanks for the compliment/offer!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 AM   #7
tomato
Super Moderator

Herbicidal, I remember your great posts about claying the car.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9983

I know I'm gonna look at it again when the time comes for me to clay my car, probably after the winter season.

Thanks for responding. The Porter Cable you have is, i believe, the most recommended. I imagine there is a bit of a learning curve to know how to use that tool properly, no?

Thanks for the responses, everybody. Please keep them coming.

Last edited by tomato; 08-31-2009 at 01:37 AM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
The Porter Cable is by far the most popular dual action polisher out there.

Dual action polishers are pretty goof-proof and sell well as a result. Dual action movement is such that it's pretty difficult (if not impossible) to burn through the paint, unlike more conventional straight-cut buffers. As I've mentioned before elsewhere, I consider a dual action polisher to be more of an applicator than a buffer/polisher (not that this is a bad thing). A dual action allows you to lay down an even thin coat of product over a large area without killing your arms; just don't expect the application process to abrade serious paint defects. If your car is relatively new with decent paint, a dual action polisher will be all the "polisher" that you need.

As Herbicidal mentioned, you don't need much product when using a polisher. Work on individual sections of your car (apply/let dry/remove). Be sure the pads are clean.

I forgot to mention - watch that power cord if you use a polisher! Use plenty of slack and drape the cord over your shoulder.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Herbicidal, I remember your great posts about claying the car.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9983

I know I'm gonna look at it again when the time comes for me to clay my car, probably after the winter season.

Thanks for responding. The Porter Cable you have is, i believe, the most recommended. I imagine there is a bit of a learning curve to know how to use that tool properly, no?

Thanks for the responses, everybody. Please keep them coming.
You're welcome. There is a little learning curve, but it's not too steep and you really can't go wrong. Just start on an easy place first, like the hood to get a feel for the tool. You don't need to use added pressure either, the weight of the unit is enough to do the job. I would suggest 'claying' your car even if you don't have the P.C. It should take less than an hour using a quick detailer as the lube. AND, the junk on your paint won't sit there for another 6 months or more. You won't believe how slick the paint will feel afterward.

Goose - good tip about the power cable over the shoulder, that's exactly what I do.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose View Post
The Porter Cable is by far the most popular dual action polisher out there.

Dual action polishers are pretty goof-proof and sell well as a result. Dual action movement is such that it's pretty difficult (if not impossible) to burn through the paint, unlike more conventional straight-cut buffers. As I've mentioned before elsewhere, I consider a dual action polisher to be more of an applicator than a buffer/polisher (not that this is a bad thing). A dual action allows you to lay down an even thin coat of product over a large area without killing your arms; just don't expect the application process to abrade serious paint defects. If your car is relatively new with decent paint, a dual action polisher will be all the "polisher" that you need.

As Herbicidal mentioned, you don't need much product when using a polisher. Work on individual sections of your car (apply/let dry/remove). Be sure the pads are clean.

I forgot to mention - watch that power cord if you use a polisher! Use plenty of slack and drape the cord over your shoulder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
You're welcome. There is a little learning curve, but it's not too steep and you really can't go wrong. Just start on an easy place first, like the hood to get a feel for the tool. You don't need to use added pressure either, the weight of the unit is enough to do the job. I would suggest 'claying' your car even if you don't have the P.C. It should take less than an hour using a quick detailer as the lube. AND, the junk on your paint won't sit there for another 6 months or more. You won't believe how slick the paint will feel afterward.

Goose - good tip about the power cable over the shoulder, that's exactly what I do.

Thanks a lot, both of you for the advice. Much appreciated!

I still have a little time before deciding to get the tool or continue to do it by hand. I will probably get it if it saves a lot of time, because it'll get me waxing my car more often.

As to the clay kit, its true, my roof could probably use a bit of help right now, I noticed when I was waxing it that it no longer feels smooth when you run your fingers. The paint is in decent shape for a Yaris that age, but it can use all the protection it can get to stay that way.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 PM   #11
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
I will probably get it if it saves a lot of time, because it'll get me waxing my car more often.
Oh it will save you alot of time alright!
Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #12
tomato
Super Moderator

sounds like it's worth it! I'll check into it then, thanks :) Maybe for Xmas