Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2012, 01:16 AM   #1
DARKSCOPE001

Drives: 2011 Yaris sedan
New to car detailing

Hello all I just got my (new to me) toyota yaris. 2011 with less than 20k miles on it. I have never had a car this new or nice. So I kind of want to keep it nice.

So here goes, Back when I used to do some road cycling and I would ocasionally wash my car I had some "wax" and wash. The wax I had (popular with the cycling world because it left no residue and was easy to apply on a bicycle) was turtle Ice, the liquidy stuff that looks like water not the paste.

I have a jug of G-wash http://www.getg.com/otherProducts/hdhCarWash.php Mostly because im a dirt warshipping tree hugger,

So here is my newbie question, I know there are a million threads about Turtle Ice and blah blah blah. My question is What is a good "wax" <forgive me im a newbie That is easy for the idiot to apply and give good results. I dont really know the difference between a "sealant" "wax" ect.

Also is Ice ok to use on these cars. Does it "protect" and does anyone have experience with G- wash? Would I be doing my car a favor by using this stuff? or would I be better just putting it in the back of the garage and saving it for the bike?

Thanks
Sean Scott
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Those are a lot of questions, and I'm too lazy to write a long answer. It requires too long and too detailed an explanation. I really educated myself on how to wash and wax a car properly using Auto Geek's tutorials. You can read everything you ever wanted to know about taking care of the exterior of your car here: http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html . This includes an explanation of sealants versus waxes. I can't comment on Turtle Wax or G-Wash, though, since I never used the stuff. In terms of wax, I've used products from a company called Optimum (you can buy it on Auto Geek). I use their sealant and their liquid wax, and it stays on the car for a good solid five months, from my experience. I hear the Meguire's is great, too, but I've personally never used it.

P.S. I have a co-worker who lives in the Fairfield County part of Pickerington.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote