Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #19
screenprintr

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris
Park further away and add a wireless camera.
screenprintr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #20
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
That's down to the urethane, well past the primer. Likely impact damage or bike rack perhaps???

Quote:
Originally Posted by yariSB86 View Post
so if ive scratched my paint down to what looks like primer on the rear bumper whats the best way to do "touch ups" ???

edit:

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #21
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
My wife works at a school and has driven my Yaris to work several times this past year.
So much for my years of defensive parking. Cars a mess now.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #22
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Very late yesterday afternoon I parked my Yaris 'correctly' (at the angle the space was designed to accommodate) at a local Wal-Mart. People are usually courteous re parking in this lot, and the area = very low crime. I returned to my car after making my purchase. A different car was in the space next to mine, and the person had turned back into the space the wrong way (diagonal space meant for a person traveling the other direction in the isle. The car was a fairly new 4-door Dodge R/T. I was pinned into the space. I had to try to 're-angle' my Yaris to get out. I thought I had done this and started to back out. I heard a sound. I thought someone had put a cart behind my Yaris. I got out and the cart return receptacle on the other side of my Yaris had caught the side of my Yaris....BIG scrapes .

I immediately headed of to an AutoZone that was nearby. The rep there recommended Turtle Wax Polishing Compound & Scratch Remover. I followed his advice. With the pad I bought, it was under $8.00. The rep cautioned me that I really needed to rub hard during application. I tried it in the parking lot , and then drove a few blocks to my favorite self serve car wash and washed my Yaris. I drove a few miles, and then pulled into a lot to check. The scratches had returned, so I did the application again...and I improved the area so much that you have to get your eyes within 2-3 inches to be able to tell where any scratches were located. I noticed this morning that the area remained in that same improved state. My Yaris did have spots on the windows though. I decided to throw my 3 big 'car towels' in the back to use later. I later took my Yaris to the same car wash and washed it again and used 2 of the towels for drying...result = no spots this time.

I have an 'old' scrape that I've mentioned on another thread. I decided to use the Turtle Wax Polishing Compound & Scratch remover on that stratch to see what would happen and....voila, it did the trick...that scrape is history!

Just wanted to let everyone know about my experience with this product (worked well for me!), as the knowledge could help someone else.

FYI, my Yaris is Bayou Blue (no room left in my details area to add that back in).
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:56 AM   #23
peewee1
PEEWEE1

Drives: 2009 yaris s sedan
scratches

Thanks for the info. I also have a blue 2009 sedan that has a few scratches on it that I'll be removing. I watched 2 videos on you-tube about scratch removal and they showed different methods. First guy went in circular motion with the compound and second guy went in straight lines(back and forth method). Which do you recommend? I plan on using a rubbing compound then a wax.
peewee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #24
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee1 View Post
Thanks for the info. I also have a blue 2009 sedan that has a few scratches on it that I'll be removing. I watched 2 videos on you-tube about scratch removal and they showed different methods. First guy went in circular motion with the compound and second guy went in straight lines(back and forth method). Which do you recommend? I plan on using a rubbing compound then a wax.
Straight lines worked for me. After that I got a new, much smaller, but similar type scrape on the other side of the car that I haven't had a chance to apply the compound to yet. Also, I was first in line to pull out onto the main road (out of my subdivision) this afternoon and the guy who HAD BEEN STOPPED behind me rear ended me. His front plate frame caused a little divot in the bumper cover, but it was around a cluster of divots from my garage door hitting the cover once on the way down, and once on the way up on a different day. I had to eyeball it inside one foot to even distinguish the 'newness' from the other divots, so I declined his apologetic offer to swap information. I'm just going to leave those little divots there (the garage door ones and the one from today). They aren't very noticeable, and I'm afraid if I got them repaired and the bumper cover repainted, that the paint wouldn't match and that would be more noticeable than the little divots.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #25
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
You can do plenty of touch up paint and make it almost unnoticeable. Just a matter of how much time your willing to put into it.

By hand will work for very small stuff. But anything with any kind of depth requires LOTS of elbow grease or a decent machine.
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #26
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmongoose26 View Post
You can do plenty of touch up paint and make it almost unnoticeable. Just a matter of how much time your willing to put into it.

By hand will work for very small stuff. But anything with any kind of depth requires LOTS of elbow grease or a decent machine.
^^^^^ Yeah, even my scrapes required lots of elbow grease. By big, I meant more the surface area that they covered rather than the depth. There are other places (not too many though) on my Yaris where there are small but deep chips. I think those would fall more into what you are referring to. My big (in area) scrapes weren't THAT deep.