Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #1
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Camry backed into me

Yesterday, while parked on a slight incline and a 2012 Camry backs into it violently. I had direct line of sight on the car, just 40 feet away and when i heard the loud crunch I looked over and saw my car rocked by the driver moving away from the crash. Ran over and committed the plates to memory and got up to the driver side window. Whether or not the driver had any intention of fleeing doesnt matter, she moved forward entire car length.

What she said happened was she forgot she was still in reverse and because her car was rolling backwards (could attribute to the incline in the road) she gassed it, and slammed into my car. I could understand if she thought she was in Drive but was in Neutral, but....

Whats remarkable is that there were no parked cars in front of me, she had all the room in the world to park.

All that is pushed in 2 inches.

There goes my JDM crash beam. Toyota makes JDM one soft and more crumple zone than the USDM one.

Thats the damage to her car... yes that is my license plate screw.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Common mistake, accelerating in reverse/forward when you think the trans is in the opposite gear.

Lucky she didnt hit someone.

Of course if she had a rearview camera she wouldnt have done it!
Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Now I bet she's going to try and sue Toyota as it's clearly their fault the car accelerated backward as she hit her brakes! Or the gas pedal stuck and and is a another case of unintended acceleration!
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Sad. Why do you have a JDM crash beam?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
ezhacker1

for reasons i no longer remember, i had the jdm beam for when i had a replica RS bumper. Never put that bumper on, because fitment was terrible. I left the jdm beam there, probably out of laziness.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #6
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I'm glad you caught her so she didn't have the chance to drive away. I hate stupid people.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I'm glad you caught her so she didn't have the chance to drive away. I hate stupid people.
i hate all people, but going forward a car length doesn't mean a person is going to run. Probably was just trying to figure out what the hell just happened.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:25 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Wow how fast was she moving in reverse ....that's crazy , her insurance should cover it .

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
What is it with Camry drivers ? (I was rear ended by a woman driving a Camry in January...and similarly 'barely a scratch' as on the Camry in your accident).

Back when my Yaris was much 'younger' I was sitting in my Yaris in the parking lot of a branch of my health club (branch in Fremont, CA) after a late afternoon workout. I was reading a newspaper. A few spaces away, a guy was having a bit of trouble getting a beater (a compact or subcompact) to start. He finally got it started and gunned it quite a bit. He turned his head and torso so he could clearly see behind him. He gave the car a lot of gas. I can only imagine that he thought he was going to have to peel out of the space in reverse in order to keep the car idling. The only problem was...as you have probably guessed ...he was in drive rather than reverse. The car lurched over the curb, through a few feet of planting, and through a plate glass window...nudging treadmills in its wake. FORTUNATELY, there was some sort of interior repair/maintenance in progress in that section of the club, so those treadmills had been roped off and were unoccupied. The driver was a bit shaken, but wasn't injured.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #10
ezhacker1

Well I got the car towed to a body iv used before. Preliminary shows $2828 before tax and $2922 after. Im going to bring in an aftermarket bumper for sure.

So either replica of

C-One

or
INGS

I like the C-One look more, the INGS looks like duck face, HAHA.

The shop estimate using a reconditioned 09 bumper cover for $161. So id pay little under $200 difference for the above bumpers, if it fits outright, if not extra labor.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
I just noticed your location. One time, I was sitting (with my girlfriend) at a LONG red light at a T-intersection in the Western Addition area of SF. . In front of us, a drunk guy in a SUV was hitting the car in front of him an the car behind him while getting out of a space on the street. He pulled out just as the light turned green. We followed him and called 911, but he lost us...and we never got a live person on the 911 line . Over the years I've had friends and family who have lived all over the city, and I HATE trying to park there with a passion. Also, many of the drivers are selfish and act as if they are in their own little worlds .
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Love your LP frame. Definitely a keeper. GO GIANTS !!!!!

edit....Just noticed the person who hit you has the Giants LP frame . Can't be a COMPLETELY rotten person if she's a Giants fan .
Old 04-21-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
ezhacker1

I found it funny that she had Autobot logos, and I have Decepticon theme. The war is never ending between the two factions. LOL.

I commute to Western Addition frequently. Buchanan and Hayes is plagued with cars not fully stopping on Hayes when you are on Buchanan Street. I have a dash cam video of nearly being side swiped by a huge SUV a few months back, cuz it didnt even do a rolling stop left turn.

Are you still in SF?

Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 AM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
I found it funny that she had Autobot logos, and I have Decepticon theme. The war is never ending between the two factions. LOL.

I commute to Western Addition frequently. Buchanan and Hayes is plagued with cars not fully stopping on Hayes when you are on Buchanan Street. I have a dash cam video of nearly being side swiped by a huge SUV a few months back, cuz it didnt even do a rolling stop left turn.

Are you still in SF?
No. I'm a 5th generation Bay Area native, and well over 50% of my family members (on both sides) are still Bay Area residents. I'm in Texas most of the time. I do though, still have about half the contents of a house in storage in the Bay Area. I'm planning to get out there long enough to take care of that sometime later this year.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Wow , that's sad . Hope all goes smooth with insurance , etc.. Like the Silver .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #16
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Careful with aftermarkt bumper. The prep work that is required to make it fit right may cost a bit more. Its not just ready for primer and paint out the box like the oem stuff you get when ordering stock bumpers. There are a lof pin holes and fitment issues in it that the body shop will have to sand out to make it look perfect. ESP, if its the white fiberglass one like I got. A good bit of trimming and refiber glass work to make it fit correctly.

I would recommend asking them to reinforce the high stress area's to prevent cracking if this is your daily driver. The left and right side where it meets the fender is very thin. Mine started cracking after a month.

Just trying to share my experience with this same thing you went thru.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #17
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Check out my thread on page 2 is where I hit a deer and did the same thing you did

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthr...t=32516&page=2
Old 04-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #18
ezhacker1

^ yeah, I saw your thread after I already bought it. the ship that is fixing my car did a good job with the replica RS bumperwhichwas later lost in a crash 6 months in. I'm sure it can't be any worse fitment lol *fingers crossed*

My rental car: 2 hour commute, got 45 hwy with tires at 45PSI.

Last edited by ezhacker1; 04-24-2014 at 05:23 PM.