Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2009, 02:07 AM   #19
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfiend View Post
The car looks great, dont get me wrong, but to properly do the 3 step, should take more then 2 1/2 hours. Exp if by hand. Thats basically just putting it on, and wiping it off, no working it in and correcting anything in the paint.
Just to properly polish a car with a DA i can and do spend 2+ hours, and thats just doing polish, no wash, no paint clean, and no wax. Especially when waxing should be a minimum 30 minute process.
And if thats all you did, you basically cleaned the paint, and waxed it. And most freshly washed and waxed cars will look that good, especially in none direct sunlight, seems to be a bit cloudy.

I'm really not trying to be an jerk, but I dont want people to get the wrong impression about what the 3 step can achieve in that sort of time.
I have been detailing cars for years so have it down to a system. Anyone else would expect to probally take another 30min to a hour longer than i did so say 3-3.5 hours. The cleaner wax you can allow it to haze but the polish you are supose to work a panel at a time and do not allow it to dry.

The final coat of wax does need to allowed to be haze which believe it or not if its a hot and sunny day can take as little as 30 seconds if not a couple of minutes. You are putting on a very THIN coat. Not heavy. My bottle of wax has lasted me over 2 years and i have done several cars.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #20
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlnblkdrs View Post
ok so wait, u washed the car, then did cleaner wax, then step 2 polish, then nxt then carnuba?????

im detailing my car next sun for the torc show here on the 9th, so just trying to take notes from the master
You got it right. You want to let the nxt cure for atleast 12 hours before the carnuba.

Final step make sure you get a rubber and plastic polish and detail all the black trim like around the wiper blades and the tire rubber. Also clean inside and outside of glass with stoners invisible glass.

I actually have special micofiber clothes ones for interior, exterior, and glass. Also 3 seperate wax applicators for each step. And drying towels.

Make sure not to mix your microfiber cloths for removing wax with the ones that you use to clean your windows when you was them or you may get wax residue on your inside glass which you will find out later at night.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:12 AM   #21
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
very cool.. see, i would never think to use more than one type of wax or even more than 1 coat at a time.. my car is beyond dirty at this point.. will be great fun to do before and after.. lol

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 02:15 AM   #22
YarisSedan

If its that bad make sure you claybar your car first then. That way you will remove all dirt to give you the best depth and clarity when you put on the final coat.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:18 AM   #23
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

absolutely.. that was definitely in the plan.. all you clean car fanatics(especially KL) will cringe at the pix of the current stage of my car.. but thanks to this plan u got laid out here, he will be a glossy beast indeed.. which is good since i have to wash my car almost a week before the show due to having no time off(work training totally killed the day off before the show i had planned to wash the car.. )

Old 04-28-2009, 02:21 AM   #24
YarisSedan

Make sure to keep a bottle of spray detailer in your car so you can touch up the day of the show
Old 04-28-2009, 02:26 AM   #25
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

indeed.. got a nice big bottle all ready to go

Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #26
counterfiend
Banned

Drives: 2005 Ford Focus
But your saying your just putting the polish on the car. Polish does NOTHING unless you work it. You cant put it on like a wax or a cleaner, you have to physically work it to do any kind of paint correction, otherwise its a wasted step.
And using a DA (random orbital buffer) still takes 1.5-2.0 hours to do a while car (even the size of the yaris). Because i'm properly working the polish to correct flaws in the paint, rather then just wiping it on and off. And if your doing it by hand, it shoudl take even longer, cause your working it at a far slower pace.
counterfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #27
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfiend View Post
But your saying your just putting the polish on the car. Polish does NOTHING unless you work it. You cant put it on like a wax or a cleaner, you have to physically work it to do any kind of paint correction, otherwise its a wasted step.
And using a DA (random orbital buffer) still takes 1.5-2.0 hours to do a while car (even the size of the yaris). Because i'm properly working the polish to correct flaws in the paint, rather then just wiping it on and off. And if your doing it by hand, it shoudl take even longer, cause your working it at a far slower pace.

I did work it. Which is why im wearing a elbow brace today lol. Trying to recover from the detail i did yesterday. I didnt have to work some areas that hard since some were not as bad as others.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #28
YarisSedan

Okay had a chance to pull it out and snap some pics before the sun went down. You can kinda see a little better how much it shines. Hopefully tomorrow is really sunny and will have a chance to put on another coat.

Hopefully will finish the third final coat and then can put on my top layer of carnuba wax for the final result but so far its looking good.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:02 PM   #29
tristan
it's been a while

Drives: 2009 liftback
very nice!!
i got them all, paint cleaner, polish and nxt wax but haven't had time to do it all
tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #30
YarisSedan

LOL im glad i inspired someone.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #31
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
so you can put on the layers even tho you drive it around between the coats?
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:01 AM   #32
YarisSedan

i left it in the garage for 24 hours and didnt drive it between the coats and just drove my other car. Otherwise you would ahve to wash it between each coat or atleast quickdetail it.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #33
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
You can use QD between coats. Its actually the best thing to do. You can even use it after buffing to get the shine just right. NXT is great stuff. Two coats and then wax it if you want. Meg's #26 work great on top. QD to keep it up and you're good to go.
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 PM   #34
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
props on your dedication to keeping your car cleeeeeeean. especially with that color, it's a must to do!
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #35
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
all I can say is I vouch for the quick detailer liquid......wife had a 92 corolla in 'every '92 corolla' white, and the clear coat (or integrated clear coat) was gone and oxidation of the paint was occurring. the only thing I used on that paint was QD, and it sheened the paint and actually caused water to bead and roll off completely when it rained...
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:15 AM   #36
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
All I can say is... wow.

Thanks for the pictures and all the information. I will definitely be trying this soon. Actually I am going to repaint the entire car first. Hail damaged a lot of the top last summer, and I rather have everything repainted then just the hood/roof/trunk. And then I will do this process(probably minus step 1 since it will be new paint?)
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote