Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
michaelhay

Drives: 2010 5-door hatchback
Question Repair a deep scratch on bumper?

Hi Yaris-driving friends!

I just noticed a deep scratch (about 5 inches long) at the bottom of my Yaris' front bumber. It removed all the paint thru to the black-colored plastic (my Yri is greenish silver I think it's called something like "aqua").
Any idea what the best way to go about repairing this?

I looked for a touch-up tube at Kragen's - there were some Toyota colors but not mine ("silver" was the closest I saw there). Can I get the original color anywhere?

Thanks

Michael
michaelhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
crOaker

Drives: 09 Yaris_Red LB
Try fix-up.com. They make colors based on paint code and VIN number. Does an awesome job on our absolutely red!
crOaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
You should be able to get a vile from the dealer for only about $8. Your paint code I believe is 777 (Jade Sea Metallic) according to this: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22582

Also, since the plastic is exposed, I would very lightly sand it first with 500 grit so that the touch-up paint doesn't flake later and you have to do this again.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
michaelhay

Croaker, SilverBack, THANKS so much for your valuable help. I will look at both fix-up.com and ask the dealer. What is a vile?
Thx
Old 09-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
SilverBack
Joey

The touch-up vile is a little 1/2 oz. container of paint about the size of a fat crayon. They usually come with a pen and brush built into the cap. It should be more than enough to cover a 5-inch long paint gash. Hope this helps.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
michaelhay

Vile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
The touch-up vile is a little 1/2 oz. container of paint about the size of a fat crayon. They usually come with a pen and brush built into the cap. It should be more than enough to cover a 5-inch long paint gash. Hope this helps.
Super. Yes, thanks it helps a lot - now I know what to ask for and what to expect when they give it to me

Thank you
Old 09-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #7
michaelhay

I checked the right codes thru the great references you guys provided (again, THANKS for those helpful responses and links).
I found on this ToyotaReference web site and by going back to "buy new car" web sites (like autos on Overstock.com) that my Yaris' color actually is "Meteorite" metallic. Not sure where I got the "jade" thing in my mind.
Anyway, I got my color code: 1FB (it's a 5-dr hatchback).
Thanks to your help I am making great progress towards repairing this scratch!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #8
SilverBack
Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhay View Post
my Yaris' color actually is "Meteorite" metallic. Not sure where I got the "jade" thing in my mind.
Anyway, I got my color code: 1F8 (it's a 5-dr hatchback).
Thanks to your help I am making great progress towards repairing this scratch!
Fixed. I have the same exact touch-up vile. And yes I've been asked also if my color is a light green (jade) or a light blue, so I can see how sky tones can cause confusion . Good luck with the fix.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
Tell you the truth, doing a touch up is realy hard cause I did mine and the touch up paint look darker,rough and dull/couldy

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
michaelhay

OK, so I got the touch-up tube. I repainted over the scratch. The color matches well but it's not flat and smooth, you can still see the scrtatch, it's just the same color as the rest of the bumber.
Should I sand it first before retouching? Any instructions or video on how to do it?
Thanks

Michael
Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
What you should do is get a injection type needle. Like the kind at hospitals. Then draw a small amount from the bottle and fill in the scratch. That way you only get paint in the scratch. Once it drys add some more to build up the layer till its even with the surrounding paint. Then use something like meguires ultimate compound on the scratch and area around it to blend it in. Using the brush in the bottle just makes a ugly blob and usually makes the scratch more noticeable.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #12
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
You should be able to get a vile from the dealer for only about $8.
michaelhay, if you get real lucky, or bought the car from the dealership, you might be able to get it pro bono. When I bought my wife's car, I asked for a vial touch up paint and got it.

Hoping that I'd luck out when I noticed a few chips on my bumper, I talked to my dealer and he just ordered one for me from the parts department. Just have to pick it up from the dealership when I'm there next.

Maybe if you ask real nice you can get hooked up too!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumper scratch repair