Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
Thanks! I'll look into it. But first, I need to find out if the Toyota dealerships around where I live offer the undercoating. When I bought my Yaris in 2009, I remember the salesman trying to push me into buying the paint and upholstery protection thing. I declined, since I knew it was BS. I cannot recall if he tried to sell the the undercoating. Looks like I'll need to call the dealership.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
Try to find out who does the undercoating for the dealerships and go directly to them. Then you won't have to pay the huge dealer markup. You can try the yellow pages or google in your local area then go talk to the people and ask if they do dealership protection. I found out the place my dealership takes their cars to and it is less than half price. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
Thanks! I'll look into it. But first, I need to find out if the Toyota dealerships around where I live offer the undercoating. When I bought my Yaris in 2009, I remember the salesman trying to push me into buying the paint and upholstery protection thing. I declined, since I knew it was BS. I cannot recall if he tried to sell the the undercoating. Looks like I'll need to call the dealership.
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #21
Hamster

That's really good advice. I'll have to pull out the phone book and call around. There's gotta be a business or two in my area that does this sort of thing for dealerships. After all, they salt the roads here, so there's gotta be some demand for uncoating service.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #22
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
Just got back from a couple thousand mile trip through the Rockies. Noticed the road noise from the rear of the car was better. Not as high pitched a sound as when not undercoated. I`m not sure if this is due to the tires being slightly broken in or if it is directlt due to undercaoting the car.
I notice the worst road noise comes from the front of the car. The aerodynamics of the front pilar or windshield area is not as good as the Echo for quietness. You can feel a definite 3/8 inch ridge on the a pillar.
Car rode well at 36psi, without excessive pounding to to higher tire pressure.
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #23
Hamster

Great to hear that there was a noticeable improvement. I agree, the road noise on this car is significant, but I guess that's the difference between an entry level and a luxury car.