Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
joeljcruz86
Little Eggy

Drives: Toyota Yaris Liftback 3DR 2009
Send a message via AIM to joeljcruz86
LED TURN SIGNAL PROBLEMS

So I just received my front LED turn signals in the mail with my Flasher Relay. Installed the Flasher relay, which i'm assuming works fine because my rear blinkers works and blinks normal. But as soon as I installed my new front LED bulbs, they won't turn on at all. I bought it from some company called LED option and their policy states that they pre-test their products before the ship them out. So i'm not sure why they don't work.

They're the stock 7507 bulb size so I can't really turn them 180 for the probable cause of it being "polarized." They only fit one way. I've tried everything, including of considering the fact that the normal bulbs are interfering. So i took the rears out but it just made my side blinkers blink faster and the front LEDs still won't light up.

I e-mailed the company addressing my issue. BUT IF ANYBODY KNOWS IF I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG OR MISSING SOMETHING. PLEEEASE LET ME KNOW, IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED SINCE THIS DIY IS NOT SUPPOSE TO BE DIFFICULT.
joeljcruz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
do you have a couple pieces of wire that you can test the bulb directly to the battery? Also compare the LED bulb to the original to make sure the nipple at the end is the at the same length.

Or with everything turned off, try and bend the little tab at the bottom of the socket up a bit. Maybe it isn't making contact.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
you dont need the flasher relay just tap the leds on your turn signal wires.. had mine for years with no issues.. led is low wattage never did cause and speed blinkin,.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeljcruz86 View Post
So I just received my front LED turn signals in the mail with my Flasher Relay. Installed the Flasher relay, which i'm assuming works fine because my rear blinkers works and blinks normal. But as soon as I installed my new front LED bulbs, they won't turn on at all. I bought it from some company called LED option and their policy states that they pre-test their products before the ship them out. So i'm not sure why they don't work.

They're the stock 7507 bulb size so I can't really turn them 180 for the probable cause of it being "polarized." They only fit one way. I've tried everything, including of considering the fact that the normal bulbs are interfering. So i took the rears out but it just made my side blinkers blink faster and the front LEDs still won't light up.

I e-mailed the company addressing my issue. BUT IF ANYBODY KNOWS IF I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG OR MISSING SOMETHING. PLEEEASE LET ME KNOW, IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED SINCE THIS DIY IS NOT SUPPOSE TO BE DIFFICULT.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
joeljcruz86
Little Eggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
do you have a couple pieces of wire that you can test the bulb directly to the battery? Also compare the LED bulb to the original to make sure the nipple at the end is the at the same length.

Or with everything turned off, try and bend the little tab at the bottom of the socket up a bit. Maybe it isn't making contact.
The nipple is the same length, and it is definitely making contact with the metal tab. I thought of actually doing the testing of the bulb to the battery. But as dumb as it sounds, i'm not quite sure where to put the positive and negative wire on the bulb exactly.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
joeljcruz86
Little Eggy

Quote:
The nipple is the same length, and it is definitely making contact with the metal tab. I thought of actually doing the testing of the bulb to the battery. But as dumb as it sounds, i'm not quite sure where to put the positive and negative wire on the bulb exactly.
**CORRECTION** I just tested the bulbs with a battery, and the LEDS are fully functional. So i really don't know the problem... Should i tap the wires with the resistors even though I have the flasher relay for LEDS plugged in???
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
ZippoYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 5-Door HB
I say ditch the relay you bought too. It should work.
ZippoYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:21 AM   #7
joeljcruz86
Little Eggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippoYaris View Post
I say ditch the relay you bought too. It should work.
Well when I tested my LED flashers in my rear tail lights ( they're aftermarket by the way).. without the relay and with the stock ones, they do the rapid flashing. But I ordered already the load resistors for the front ones, So we'll see if they will work. I'm just confused why my rear aftermarket tail lights works for those LED flashers but not for the front with my stock headlights.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
The problem is not with the relay, it is the New Led Bulb's you are trying to use
LED are polarity postive the normal front turn signal bulbs are not .
Simple solution change the wires around on the front bulbs and plug your LEd's in and they will work fine .
Oh and you must use a LEd relay to stop hyper blink
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
joeljcruz86
Little Eggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
The problem is not with the relay, it is the New Led Bulb's you are trying to use
LED are polarity postive the normal front turn signal bulbs are not .
Simple solution change the wires around on the front bulbs and plug your LEd's in and they will work fine .
Oh and you must use a LEd relay to stop hyper blink
Well the end of the bulbs are the same as the new LED bulbs. Its a solid with the "nipple" at the end. so there isn't any visible wires like the wedge bulbs.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Well the end of the bulbs are the same as the new LED bulbs. Its a solid with the "nipple" at the end. so there isn't any visible wires like the wedge bulbs.
reverse the wires on the bulb holder ie swap them around , that is what i had to do
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 12:39 AM   #11
joeljcruz86
Little Eggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
reverse the wires on the bulb holder ie swap them around , that is what i had to do

Yes they work! Unfortunately I have now the pair of Load Resistors that aren't being used. I e-mailed the company seeing if I could get a refund and return them. They're only $12
Old 10-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #12
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
I'd just keep em, save yourself the trouble and keep them to remind yourself of a lesson learned :)
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blinkers, flashers, led, turn signals