Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Industry biased towards Honda?

Is it just me, or anyone else getting seriously pissed of that every sport compact magazine is doing their own version of the goddammed Honda fucking Fit? You can't even get a decent 4-2-1 header(the overpriced TRD model withstanding) for the Yaris and and all the magazines are already fabricating or modifying things on their own version of the Fit which looks like a glorified micro minivan anyway. Sorry about the language but I've really had it, I finally get a japanese built car and of course it turns out to be one that nobody in this country wants to make aftermarket performance parts for!!! I get a really bad feeling that any of the really cool stuff you're going to have no choice but import from japan which will cost a bloody fortune or figure out how to fabricate it yourself ... Please tell me I'm not alone in my frustration!!!!!
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Rags will publish the articles from who ever pushes the most $$$ at them.
Honda is the leader in imports and spends a fortune getting their name out there...
Honda sponsored shops and suppliers also follow suit and needless to say it pays off and has kept them #1 for YEARS.

Kinda like amsoil and Mobil 1
Mobil spends billions a year in advertizing at every major race event and TV adds etc, Amsoil sits back and lets their sales come from user testaments and race results. Both ways work for drumming up great business, but the company that spends the most $$$ in advertizing makes the most $$$ in the long run with sales and often at a cost of quality control.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
YarisBueller
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladesmith6
Is it just me, or anyone else getting seriously pissed of that every sport compact magazine is doing their own version of the goddammed Honda fucking Fit? You can't even get a decent 4-2-1 header(the overpriced TRD model withstanding) for the Yaris and and all the magazines are already fabricating or modifying things on their own version of the Fit which looks like a glorified micro minivan anyway. Sorry about the language but I've really had it, I finally get a japanese built car and of course it turns out to be one that nobody in this country wants to make aftermarket performance parts for!!! I get a really bad feeling that any of the really cool stuff you're going to have no choice but import from japan which will cost a bloody fortune or figure out how to fabricate it yourself ... Please tell me I'm not alone in my frustration!!!!!
Agreed with you completly. The fit is really a joke in my mind, older car/platform, uglier, etc etc. But the mags/etc have gotten used to honda's as being the main tuner mobile and toyota as reliable standard-booring transportation. THe good news is as far as I can tell ppl are starting to waken up to the yaris here in the states.
YarisBueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
I actually prefer the fact that parts are more rare for the Yaris, keeping it more exclusive, so not everyone on my street will choose the same car because of the ease of tuning...
Cheers

i think the reason why they chose the Fit is that you can do an engine swap with I think is an f20c motor or civic si motor. There is a vid where you can see the Nobelesse Fit breezing through the racetrack passing s2000's. I think the reason why they chose it is because of a powerful engine and very light weight, thus the almost perfect power to weight ratio.
sam07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Has anyone actually driven the Fit? It's nothing to snear about. Granted, It's somewhat over-rated when compared to the Yaris Liftback, but it's got a nice interior and a sharp steering response, that has all the Auto-writer following the same drum-beat. I think one of the biggest reason why the Yaris is getting such a bad rap, is to do with Toyota's marketing, not Honda. In the States, Toyota has been championing the Sedan version of the Yaris, which has a different size wheelbase and is more suited for cruising (true to it's purpose). Needless to say, it has been consistantly clobbered by the Fit in the sporting arena. I think most of these auto journalist are old farts and it seems that the older crowds don't have an issue with the Fit's boxy look (and fugly without the skirts, which explains the reason for only comparing the Sport model vs Yaris).

Now, if Toyota had introduced the 5dr Yaris liftback into the States (instead of trying to make room for the xA), then we would see a different kind of comparison in a more even playing field. To me, it seems as if the Toyota types caused it, and they're getting what they sowed.

Last edited by Pars; 09-03-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #6
Andrew Chalmers

Drives: NA
I'll rather see the folks who love to modify their cars and the young crowd steer towards the Honda Fit. Keeps my insurance rates down & reduces the number of idiots with loud noisy irritating cars running on the road in a Yaris.
Andrew Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
Pars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Chalmers
I'll rather see the folks who love to modify their cars and the young crowd steer towards the Honda Fit. Keeps my insurance rates down & reduces the number of idiots with loud noisy irritating cars running on the road in a Yaris.
True, currently, my 07 Yaris is costing the same amount to insure as my old 98 Civic Hatchback.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
riceboy

Drives: icebox
I'm agreed,... you need to spend money to make money... the marketing machine is paramount.. I have nothing against the fit.. we'll see how things pan out in the future.... i'd like to see a k20 fit vs. 2zz yaris....
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #9
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I totally agree, a lot of magazines favor the FIT...cause its "sporty" which apparently that's why people buy entry level cars? Don't get me wrong, its nice to have a car that is sort of fun or doesn't sacrifice ride even if its an entry level car but I find it funny that the first thing magazines are concerned about is 0-60 times and quarter mile times and is it the fastest, c'mon people! Its barely breaking 100bhp, what do you expect! Yes it is legit (especially in the U.S.) for your car to have some get up and go or you would be in trouble but still...And of course the Yaris sedan is "boring" while the Honda FIT is sporty and fun! Obviously there is no absolutes and its a matter of perception and preference in whether or not you see your car as fun, but fun doesn't necissarly be how fast it goes, maybe its the handling or driving. And of course the Yaris will lose points cause of that dreaded gauge clauster in the middle! Oh no! The world is coming to an end! Enough of my rant, the magazines can say what they want, we'll just look at the Yarii sales and how they are increasing, that says a lot more than some magazine.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
hhcchen
stop staring my star perv

Drives: 97 tercel
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
I actually prefer the fact that parts are more rare for the Yaris, keeping it more exclusive, so not everyone on my street will choose the same car because of the ease of tuning...
Cheers
that's a nice cute looking cartoony avatar you got over there...

sorry for hijacking...

my opinion on this...

why we never see liftback yaris review anywhere???
(usdm yaris wise)
hhcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #11
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
So much anti Honda sentiment on this board.

You guys seriously think Honda is throwing cash so that the Fit, a relatively low volume seller, can be featured in import tuning magazines?
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #12
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
Don't sweat it. I bought the yaris for the gas mileage. Any real power mods will ruin that.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:12 PM   #13
田中秀樹

Drives: SW20
from what i've noticed in terms of 'marketing' i have seen Toyota more actively promoting the Yaris than Honda with their Fit. while tuning magazines may be focusing on the Fit, they are, as always, just a niche market and are not really the ones raking the money in for Honda and/or Toyota.

but i concur with the general consensus. you don't let the aftermarket dictate your needs. and while these magazines focus on comparing the yaris w/ the Fit as it is both their entry level vehicles. i feel the Fit's main competition (the main reason they brought these here) was the success of the Scion xA and xB (toyota's entry-level line).
田中秀樹 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:11 PM   #14
Pars

I think Honda brought over the Fit, not primairly because of the Scion, but because they were one of the companies that Pioneered the sporty-hatchback (7 generations of Civic Hatchbacks) in North American, And suddenly, they completely dropped the Hatchback line-up (seemed like suicide to me, but I'm not the bean counter). So, something had to be thrown into the works to recapture all those loyal fans, who were going to jump ship.

I don't know about the States, but here in Toronto, there's about 2.5 Yaris for every Fit and the word is just starting to get out. Honda's going to have to drastically cut into their profit margin in their next release of the Fit in order to counter all the cool new entry level Hatchs. And to think, they already had that market, but decided to give it away.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:44 PM   #15
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i can't figure out why honda decided to enlarge the civic and also not offer the hatch version here in n.america

http://www.honda.co.uk/civic/

do they honestly think that this car won't sell in n.america? it looks incredible.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote