Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
dinoman

Drives: '07 Yaris LB
Cannot fill gas at a pump

Hi all. Before I get into the issue, I am sorry if this post is too long. I have been having this fuel filling problem with my '07 Yaris liftback.
I can't remember exactly when it happened, but one day my Yaris started to have difficulties filling the tank at gas stations. The gas nozzle will click off when the tank is filled fast. Even if the tank is filled very very slowly, it will click off every 50 cents or so. It takes me about 10 minutes to get $10 worth of gas. Finally I got too annoyed with the issue as in New Jersey we cannot pump our own gas due to state law (attendant will walk away and sometimes won't continue to pump my gas for very long time)

Initially I tried to fill at different stations thinking it may be due to some particular pumps, but I have the same issue at all gas stations. I have googled some possible causes and decided to investigate if my evap/charcoal canister is blocked. Since my car also had rough idle when stopping, I figured that the canister is faulty and also not alllowing fuel vapor to pass to the purge valve. I checked this by blowing air into the canister and the air did not freely blow out of the other 2 openings. Strangely, there was no check engine light (CEL) on even with this potential canister issue. I replaced the canister and the rough idling seems to have been fixed, but I am still having issues at the pump. Still the CEL is NOT on.

Thinking it may be the vent hose blockage, I disconnected the vent line hose from the canister filter (a smaller black container near the charcoal canister) and tried to fill the tank. The nozzle still clicks off and could not be filled easily. I also took off the air inlet line hose (i believe this connects the fuel tank and the canister) and tried to see if the blockage is somehow still at the canister. The nozzle stilll clicks off often and could not refuel easily. Does this mean the blockage is at the actual filler neck? Is there any other mechanism that controls the air venting to the canister?

I am sort of lost what could be the issue and will greatly appreciate any advices and inputs. One attendant at the pump has mentioned to me that he could swear that other Yaris had a metal "flap" at the fuel filler door where the pump nozzle goes in. Since in New Jersey I am not allowed to pump the gas myself, I actually do not know if there is supposed to be a metal flap. I would appreciate if anyone can check if their Yaris has a metal flap that covers the hole where the gas nozzle goes in.

Again, sorry for the long post.
dinoman is offline   Reply With Quote