Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Reinforce Jack points?

I change my tires often and with a regular 2 ton garage jack and jack stands but the metal rail on the underbody is starting to bend. Is anyone else having this problem?

I have considered welding in some reinforcement along the rail or maybe getting rubber pads for the jack, but if its just me then maybe I'll take it to the dealer and complain. I know cheap car, cheap materials but just throwing it out there...
Old 10-23-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I use 3/4 pine plywood between any of jack stands and jack. It absorbs the pressure and does not damage the frame.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
Morgan

Considering welding in some reinforcements... I'll keep this thread updated, but school is busy this time of year so possibly over thanksgiving or winter break I can get something done - thanks!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Try this...Take a hockey puck, and on a table saw, and cut a grove down the middle.. works great!..

I use it for the jack and also with jack stands.. For the jack stand, you will need the flat top style, not axle stands..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I change my tires often and with a regular 2 ton garage jack and jack stands but the metal rail on the underbody is starting to bend. Is anyone else having this problem?

I have considered welding in some reinforcement along the rail or maybe getting rubber pads for the jack, but if its just me then maybe I'll take it to the dealer and complain. I know cheap car, cheap materials but just throwing it out there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2876642231_c9e4ed1f52.jpg (84.0 KB, 1336 views)
File Type: jpg 2876640079_983e2cda02.jpg (91.6 KB, 1286 views)
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Great Idea
Old 10-23-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Are these jack point new to the 09? This is from my owners manual:

CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:33 PM   #7
Morgan

The hockey puck is awesome, would have never thought of that...

for some reason something like this being bolted in each of the jack points came to mind earlier.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i just use a piece of leftover 2x4 i have kicking around my garage...disperses the load evenly enough...
Old 10-24-2008, 07:08 AM   #9
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Your link does not seem to be working.. Can you try again?

thanks

Quote:
The hockey puck is awesome, would have never thought of that...

for some reason something like this being bolted in each of the jack points came to mind earlier.
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

Has anyone seen diagrams like this for the sedan? The ones in the manual are of no help to me for finding the rear jack point.

That hockey puck idea is ingenious. Great thinking.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Has anyone seen diagrams like this for the sedan? The ones in the manual are of no help to me for finding the rear jack point.

That hockey puck idea is ingenious. Great thinking.
The hockey puck is a great idea for jacking by the body lift points. Those lift points really are designed for extremely occasional road-side emergency tire changes though.

The reason I posted the manual page above is that I noticed that it didn't seem to be included in prior year manuals (or a least the 07 one that I had). All vehicles have better lift points for maintenance than the body points intended for use with the oem jack.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Considering welding in some reinforcements... I'll keep this thread updated, but school is busy this time of year so possibly over thanksgiving or winter break I can get something done - thanks!
Sorry but that's a rediculous idea....I've had my 2007 for nearly two years, and I use s 2-ton jack too...just make sure the split metal on the jack are worked over the body seam designated for jacking up the car. My seams are not bent, and are in perfect condition, and I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles...presently I have 44,000 miles, and still no issues. Welding on or near body parts can change the temperance of the metal, and remove the integrity that the factory wants for those parts....in addition, doing this could void your warranty....just be more careful about how you place the jack under the car and you too will have no worries....
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
hockey puck!!! sweet idea

you can probably buy these at any convenience store in toronto... but i may have to mail order

about those central jack points... i may be mistaken but i don't think my 07 has the rear point. on the front one i can't get the floor jack under my lowered car to access that point, unless i first drive up on a board or something.
I am going to buy a new floor jack, as my current one won't fit under my Yaris either. I have problems at both ends of the spectrum - The yaris is too low and My Xterra needs two chunks of 4x4 to get it off the ground. I am looking at an Arcan one that will go from 3 1/2" to 21 3/8", which would work for both of my vehicles.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5429_200345429
Old 10-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #14
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post

I know the rear mount has always been there, but I don't recall the front mount being mentioned in my 2007 manual (I could be wrong, though).

I hove the hockey puck idea -- I'll pick one up!
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #15
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Yes, the 2006+ Yaris LB has central jack points, front and rear. If you're lowered, good luck getting to them. If not, you're golden.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #16
pinoypizzaboy

Drives: 08 toyota yaris LB
how do you guys jack it when its lowered?
pinoypizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 PM   #17
thepoche

Drives: Toyota Yaris CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoypizzaboy View Post
how do you guys jack it when its lowered?
I just drive on 2x6 blocks. This lift you an extra 2"
thepoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #18
Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
Sorry but that's a rediculous idea....I've had my 2007 for nearly two years, and I use s 2-ton jack too...just make sure the split metal on the jack are worked over the body seam designated for jacking up the car. My seams are not bent, and are in perfect condition, and I rotate my tires every 5,000 miles...presently I have 44,000 miles, and still no issues. Welding on or near body parts can change the temperance of the metal, and remove the integrity that the factory wants for those parts....in addition, doing this could void your warranty....just be more careful about how you place the jack under the car and you too will have no worries....
I lif the car almost every weekend, tires, oil changes, positions for rear mount... Almost to the point where I can just about visualize the under body more than I can the actual body, I'll try and post some pictures of what I'm talking about -

As for the link, http://rmgsupply.com/products/RUBBER...1-1233-52.html

maybe not that exact item but something similar, the military base I used to go to had these rubber pads on the ends of their jacks sort of like these