Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #19
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
a much longer trip for any reason at all and you will want the Yaris.
He's already done that, and as a result, we had a big thread about whether or not he should drive the Yaris or rent a car for the trip.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #20
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
He's already done that, and as a result, we had a big thread about whether or not he should drive the Yaris or rent a car for the trip.
Yup.

The rental turned out to be worth it; inexpensive and roomy. Could I have saved money with my own? A few bucks.

I had no idea I would get the job. Also didn't know I'd be thinking of dumping the car; that my needs would change so drastically.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #21
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Keep it, and after 20 years in storage you'll have a classic.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #22
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
Keep it, it sounds like it is in great condition.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:42 PM   #23
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
sell it. buy a nice bicycle... and tons of bus passes...
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #24
chocolab

Drives: bmw
If it's a black or gray MT, sell it to me.
chocolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:15 PM   #25
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Still mulling it over ?
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:51 PM   #26
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
Dude, if you bought the beater truck, then you already know. What's the point of keeping something in storage? Sell her, trade her in, do whatever and invest on keeping the truck in working order. And get used to working on the truck yourself. When I had my beater, I wrenched it all the time because the age was showing.

Personally though, I would have just kept the Yaris and beat the living shit out of it. You know that it has sound, reliable mechanical components and bodywork is the least of your worries if you are driving and working in an industrial area. My 2012 lives in a similar environment and it keeps chugging like a champ. Eventually I'll give her a wash and get rid of those dings....
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #27
timothyone

Drives: 2014 l standard 3 door
If your life changes again, and it will, you will have a difficult time finding a car that's as good and as certain to be what it's suppose to be. It is much easier for lots to change odometers today, and rebuilders can often hide a cars history. You won't know what you're getting unless you buy new. I'd find a really good cover and let it sit most of the time. I wish I had the years left to let a great car sit and wait for me to need it someday. You also don't seem to need the money too much as you didn't make much mention of that aspect.
timothyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #28
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Still mulling it over ?
It's up for sale this week.

Two trips from my old home to my new, decided it for me. The truck was roomier, of course; going east, empty, I saved hotel money by setting up my Kamp-Rite cot/tent in the back at rest areas.

Coming back: Towing my 700-lb motorcycle trailer (total weight of the towed unit) the Yaris bogged down. Had to run it it "3" and the gas mileage was about 22. Not a good trip; watching speed and hoping nothing overheated (didn't).

Pulling a much-larger U-Haul with the Tacoma ALSO got me 22 mpg. Easier trip and took a lot more on the second trip, of course.

At my new home: trip to work is four miles; so gas mileage isn't critical. Avoiding depreciation is much more attractive.

Yup, it's for sale.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #29
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
It's up for sale this week.

Two trips from my old home to my new, decided it for me. The truck was roomier, of course; going east, empty, I saved hotel money by setting up my Kamp-Rite cot/tent in the back at rest areas.

Coming back: Towing my 700-lb motorcycle trailer (total weight of the towed unit) the Yaris bogged down. Had to run it it "3" and the gas mileage was about 22. Not a good trip; watching speed and hoping nothing overheated (didn't).

Pulling a much-larger U-Haul with the Tacoma ALSO got me 22 mpg. Easier trip and took a lot more on the second trip, of course.

At my new home: trip to work is four miles; so gas mileage isn't critical. Avoiding depreciation is much more attractive.

Yup, it's for sale.
. I think I'm getting used to having two vehicles again (first time since 2001 or so). It will be interesting having two different generations of the same car. When my blue Yaris gives out, I could see complimenting my 2014 Yaris with a previously owned Tacoma (your purchase sounds like a good one ....as does tooter's), or a second generation Prius (see the Prius RV blog......and IIRC, she doesn't have the 'hatch tent' that is made for the Prius...I'd definitely add that) if I could find one in good condition and had also depreciated quite a bit....that task might = .....
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote