Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
redlegs75

Drives: red hatchback
Toyota Yaris vs Prius C

Hello guys,

I am going to start shopping for either a new Yaris or a new Prius C. I understand that the Prius C gets better gas mileage and I currently own a 2008 Yaris with 200,000 miles on it. I will probably be trading it in. What are your thoughts on the Yaris vs Prius C. From my research the difference in pricing between the 2 will be that the Prius C is about $4000 higher. I have been very happy with my 08 Yaris.

Thanks
redlegs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #2
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
do you have goodies on your yaris? You would have to start over (things that dont transfer over) modding.

You could use this to see how much you would save choosing either car. Looks like you put ALOT of miles on your car. so it maybe worth it. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/savemoney.shtml

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Financially the Prius C compared to the Yaris is a losing proposition. The money you save on gas will never make up the difference in the price. Unless gas goes to $8 a gallon or something like that.

On the other hand...

You will be using less gas if that means something to you. If I was rich I would probably buy one!

The cheapest most cost effective solution is to fix your current car and keep it as long as possible! Spend your money on something you really want!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Financially the Prius C compared to the Yaris is a losing proposition. The money you save on gas will never make up the difference in the price. Unless gas goes to $8 a gallon or something like that.

On the other hand...

You will be using less gas if that means something to you. If I was rich I would probably buy one!

The cheapest most cost effective solution is to fix your current car and keep it as long as possible! Spend your money on something you really want!
unless of course the nicer car is something he wants...

And $4 grand isn't that wide of a gap, it isn't like the $10 grand difference it used to be.

I've seen a few decent deals on Prius C's around, but I don't really know what they come with. Try both cars out, see who will give you the best deal, and go from there.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
the PriusC also only comes with a CVT transmission. Something to think about before purchasing.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
The C.V.T. hasn't been that much of an an issue for the PRIUS . There's 1st and 2nd generation PRIUS with 200,000+ miles with same battery and tranny . We've seen Cs' from $16,500 ( C1 ) to $18,000 ( C2 ) .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 PM   #7
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
when you can get 40 MPG out of a yaris......also, Maintenance has GOT TO BE cheaper with the yaris. Insurance might be less too.

Prius C is a nice car but not 4000 dollars nice.
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #8
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlegs75 View Post
Hello guys,

I am going to start shopping for either a new Yaris or a new Prius C. I understand that the Prius C gets better gas mileage and I currently own a 2008 Yaris with 200,000 miles on it. I will probably be trading it in. What are your thoughts on the Yaris vs Prius C. From my research the difference in pricing between the 2 will be that the Prius C is about $4000 higher. I have been very happy with my 08 Yaris.

Thanks
If you were happy with your Yaris just buy another one
Prius probably ok car but all the extra expense wouldnt be worth it in my opinion, theres also a weird political aspect to the Prius that i'd rather not deal with..
Old 07-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I made the same calculus myself when I was deciding on a new car. The Prius is a nice car but after coming from VW I wanted something very simple mechanically. I chose the Yaris. The Prius has shown good reliability but to me the added complexity adds uncertainty. Yaris = Simple.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
You're already going to suffer a significant mileage penalty on your trade in. Unless you think your Yaris will soon need lots of maintenance/repairs, why not try to drive your per mile cost to run it as low as possible. If you get many more trouble free miles, that could definitely outweigh additional depreciation.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
You're already going to suffer a significant mileage penalty on your trade in. Unless you think your Yaris will soon need lots of maintenance/repairs, why not try to drive your per mile cost to run it as low as possible. If you get many more trouble free miles, that could definitely outweigh additional depreciation.
some people want a new car just because they can.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #12
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
if you want it badly, and you can afford it, go ahead. it still has the Toyota badge hence the reliability should still be good.

otherwise, i'll echo what was said already, the prius C is nice, but not $4000 nice. besides if you trade yours in, im sure you will not be only $4000 poorer (trade in price you'll get yours for).
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 PM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Don't be too sure on the money difference. If you drive a lot, you can really save money. Even if you get 40 mpg in the Yaris and 50 in the C, driving 10,000 miles saves $200 a year.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #14
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Don't be too sure on the money difference. If you drive a lot, you can really save money. Even if you get 40 mpg in the Yaris and 50 in the C, driving 10,000 miles saves $200 a year.
In 20 years you will have made up that $4000 difference...after that, its pure profit!
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
some people want a new car just because they can.
You're probably right. Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm certain there are many things that I do that don't make sense to other people .
Old 07-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

In late January of 2014, I was rear ended by a woman in a Camry. I had a 3rd Gen LE 5-door (only available with an automatic) as the rental during the repair. After that 3-day stint, I realized that I wasn't ready to give up driving a manual. Before that, I was leaning toward a Prius C rather than another Yaris (when I get a new car). I read MANY posts on Prius Chat. I noticed that many people who have the Prius C One wish they had ponied up the extra dollars and purchased the Prius C Two. Many reasons were given, but I think the most often mentioned item was the seats. Given this, I think a realistic gap with the Yaris would be greater than $4,000 USD.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:07 AM   #17
94toy22re

Drives: 2012 Yaris L hatch 5spd
I have a 2012 L 5spd my dad has a 2013 Prius c2. Power is no comparison the yaris feels much more peppy, handling is pretty even but you can tell the C is more front heavy, the C seems to be slightly quieter on the highway, the C gets around 10mpg better in equal condition. Can't go wrong with either one.
94toy22re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:08 AM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
In 20 years you will have made up that $4000 difference...after that, its pure profit!
Yea, because most people who drive a Yaris get near 40 mpg and only drive 10,00 miles a year, oh wait, almost no one does that.

You start getting more into actual real world figures, and the gap becomes obvious. 13,476 miles = 374 gallons per year @ 36 mpg. At $3.70 a gallon that is $1384. 13,476 miles = 270 gallons per year @ 50 mpg. At $3.70 a gallon that is $999 a year. Supposedly 13,476 is the average mileage an American drives a year. That is $385 a year. So if you drive that little, it isn't worth it unless you want the luxuries. Or if your Yaris cannot get 36 mpg. Or if you plan to keep it over 10 years. Etc. If you drive 20,000 mile a year, 36 mpg = 556 & 2057. Or 400 & 1480. That is 577. That is only 7 years to make up the difference. Since the average car fleet is over 12 years old now, that is real world math people should do before they make the second biggest purchase they ever will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
In late January of 2014, I was rear ended by a woman in a Camry. I had a 3rd Gen LE 5-door (only available with an automatic) as the rental during the repair. After that 3-day stint, I realized that I wasn't ready to give up driving a manual. Before that, I was leaning toward a Prius C rather than another Yaris (when I get a new car). I read MANY posts on Prius Chat. I noticed that many people who have the Prius C One wish they had ponied up the extra dollars and purchased the Prius C Two. Many reasons were given, but I think the most often mentioned item was the seats. Given this, I think a realistic gap with the Yaris would be greater than $4,000 USD.
And then the deal they get and how good they are at negotiating comes in as well. And the options they want and if they are even available on the Yaris.

There are times I love not having a manual. Part of that is my car and I want to eek out every bit of gas, so I am not willing to stab the throttle like everyone else does, so I stall.

But looking at vehicles today, most seem to have the autos and CVT's getting better gas mileage than the manuals. I assume the computers and sensors are getting better finally.

Driving my mother's Murano, or my father's Jag convertible, I can see the appeal of not having a manual. Plus, the writing is on the wall. If they can start getting significant better gas mileage with autos, manufacturers will not make manuals because they need to hit the cafe targets. It is coming from both sides, with most Supercars not even having a manual option any more, and most commuters not wanting to bother.

Now they just need to focus on gas mileage more. If they spent as much money on tech to getter better gas mileage as they did tech to get more hp, cars would easily hit the coming cafe standards.