Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-01-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
thepaidtraveler

Drives: Blazing Blue 3 Door
Yaris Diesel!

Did anyone else get to read this? Or am I posting an old topic?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...70-a-5586.html
thepaidtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
ahhh the car that the US will never see.. 1.4L torque monster :(
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
invol

Drives: '09 S 3dr. 5spd. Meteorite
This is one of the main reasons I'm choosing a Yaris to buy. After 3 years the warranty will expire, and I will get a half-cut of a Yaris diesel and do an engine swap / conversion. By that time, the half-cuts should be reasonably priced. Screw the politics BS, I'll build my own Yaris diesel, ftw.
invol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
thepaidtraveler

Sounds like a winner there!
Old 12-04-2008, 04:01 AM   #5
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
Diesel prices are sickening considering it's a byproduct of gasoline production.
It makes sense in a big truck,but haven't seen many diesel automobile's that get the longevity of large diesel engines.
It would take a while to recoup the extra costs of the vehicle through the fuel mpg savings, if diesel keeps their prices ahead of regular gasoline.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
One thing I do know for sure is that chevy does know how to make a diesel engine.
I had over 340,000 miles on my duramax before it needed rebuilt.
I would guess Toyota probably does better with their diesel motors.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
thepaidtraveler

It would be a worth while investment if you know of a few friends or have access to used oil from a fry-o-lator and then can render the waste veggie oil into Bio-diesel and then run around town like that.

Not that I personally do it though. (would if I could) But I know a few people (relatives) that have been running on used oil for a couple of years. And my my can you see the smile on their faces.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #8
Bredayaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 vvti cvt
Lucky us Dutchies the diesel prices here are lower than petrol prices.
But car taxes here for diesel are way higher than petrol.

I have to make many km/miles to go to work so it's great value for money though.

The next Yaris comes with a 6 speed manual transmission for both versions (petrol/diesel).
The 1.33 l petrol engine is going to have 101 hp and comes with a optional start/stop system wich reduces it's mileage too!
I think the mileage is going to be 5.1 l/100km or 46 MPG (US) for the start/stop version.
Bredayaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Diesel in the US is a dead duck. Right now gas is $1.50 per gallon here in NJ while diesel is selling for $2.60. That more than makes up for any increase in diesel efficiency. I was so bummed when I bought my ECHO in 2000 that there wasnt a diesel option. But it turned out good for yours truely in the long run!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #10
invol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bredayaris View Post
The next Yaris comes with a 6 speed manual transmission for both versions (petrol/diesel).
Please tell me this will happen here as well. I know it's hopeless to wish for the diesel to be brought over, but a standard 6-speed would be a nice consolation.

And by "next Yaris", what model year are you referring to? 2010 or farther down the road?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #11
invol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepaidtraveler View Post
It would be a worth while investment if you know of a few friends or have access to used oil from a fry-o-lator and then can render the waste veggie oil into Bio-diesel and then run around town like that.

Not that I personally do it though. (would if I could) But I know a few people (relatives) that have been running on used oil for a couple of years. And my my can you see the smile on their faces.
^This.

Also, I currently have a diesel that has 256,xxx miles on it and it still hauls @$$. Diesel longevity has much to do with the diesel being a light-oil lubricant, while petrol is a drying solvent. I know diesel prices are stupidly inflated here in the states (1.69 petrol vs. 2.49 diesel = WTF), but given the lesser cost of maintenance, engine longevity, and getting 50MPG, I think it comes out ahead, IMHO.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:02 AM   #12
Bredayaris

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 vvti cvt
Quote:
Originally Posted by invol View Post
Please tell me this will happen here as well. I know it's hopeless to wish for the diesel to be brought over, but a standard 6-speed would be a nice consolation.

And by "next Yaris", what model year are you referring to? 2010 or farther down the road?
The '09 Yaris i'm referring to.
The automatic gearbox will be available as a cvt configuration.
Bredayaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:45 AM   #13
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydisrock View Post
Diesel prices are sickening considering it's a byproduct of gasoline production.
It makes sense in a big truck,but haven't seen many diesel automobile's that get the longevity of large diesel engines.
It would take a while to recoup the extra costs of the vehicle through the fuel mpg savings, if diesel keeps their prices ahead of regular gasoline.
There was a time where diesel was cheaper than gas. However with the epa guidelines to reduce the sulfer from diesel the cost has never been equal. There is more BTU's in a gallon of diesel than a galon of gas.