Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #19
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
Just my unsolicited advice:

While working at Toyota's corporate call center a couple of years ago, we saw that a lot of people were getting check engine lights. After an investigation was done, it was found that this was occurring when people "top off" their tanks. The reason is quite simple: For emission purposes, there is a canister connected to the fuel tank which is filled with charcoal. This "charcoal canister" (as it is technically called) filters out fuel vapors that the fuel tank emits. Well, when you top off the tank with fuel, gasoline over-flows into the charcoal canister and dissolves the charcoal in the canister and triggers the CE light. Then, the customer would take the car to the Toyota Dealer to find out why the CE light is on and this is what they would tell them and seeing as how it is the car owner's fault, the car owner has to buy a new charcoal cannister which can range in price but is usually $200-600 (or somewhere around there, including installation).

The "top off"- a seemingly harmless move that may end up costing you hundreds :)
Old 12-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #20
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
When I fill it I wait for the auto shut-off to stop the flow of gas from the pump to the car, then top off the car manually past that...

Cheers! M2

There is that little written note inside by the fuel cap that does not recommend topping off the tank past when the pump shuts off. It says the check engine light might come on.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:31 PM   #21
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Good way to fry your fuel pump.

Running it dry or severly low will kill it. The pump actually gets "cooled" by the fuel in the tank and running thru it.

There have been a few owners that found this out the hard way, and had their cars flatbedded to their friendly Toyota dealers.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #22
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Good way to fry your fuel pump.

Running it dry or severly low will kill it. The pump actually gets "cooled" by the fuel in the tank and running thru it.

There have been a few owners that found this out the hard way, and had their cars flatbedded to their friendly Toyota dealers.
Please see previous post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Just to debunk some myths, it will not hurt your car to run out of gas (other than the lack of forward motion). There is no layer of sludge or particles on the bottom of your gas tank that will get sucked into your engine, nor will the fuel pump overheat. And the tank is sealed, so condensation is not an issue. What little water vapor that may occur should clear itself out; and if not, a gas additive every once and a while will sort it out.

No, when you run out of gas you simply run out of gas, and have to walk to get some more. It is an inconvenience, but not detrimental to the vehicle.

And as always, b_hickman11 has the numbers right, according to the manual. You have 1.6 gallons left when the last bar starts to blink, and 1.1. gallons when it starts to blink twice as fast.

And by the way, the other day I put 11.6 gallons in my 11.1 gallon Yaris gas tank!

Cheers! M2
Max- Can you site your source? Where did you get this info??
Old 12-10-2008, 04:52 PM   #23
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
wow i really can't believe there can be THIS much discussion about such an elementary topic...

i've owned toyotas my whole life, run them down to the last drop and have NEVER destroyed a fuel pump..
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #24
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
wow i really can't believe there can be THIS much discussion about such an elementary topic...

i've owned toyotas my whole life, run them down to the last drop and have NEVER destroyed a fuel pump..
Congratulations!!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:56 PM   #25
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat38 View Post
Please see previous post:
I'm willing to bet those that had to replace their pumps after saying they ran their Yari dry, will beg to differ.

I could care less whos right or wrong, Im simply just repeating what was already discuessed.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #26
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
I'm willing to bet those that had to replace their pumps after saying they ran their Yari dry, will beg to differ.

I could care less whos right or wrong, Im simply just repeating what was already discuessed.

so basically you're saying you're repeating what has already been said? multiple times?

NEWS FLASH!!!!

the yaris is not special or unique, it still has a 4cycle engine, still uses petrol to operate, still has ABS (or not in many cases) that should not be tampered with, still has seats, a steering wheel, and pedals...

there are soo many threads that ask generic questions that refer to EVERY CAR on earth.. what happens when you run out of gas? hmmmmm maybe your car stops driving.. but only because it's a yaris... yarii are unique to that feature....

Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:18 PM   #27
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
so basically you're saying you're repeating what has already been said? multiple times?

NEWS FLASH!!!!

the yaris is not special or unique, it still has a 4cycle engine, still uses petrol to operate, still has ABS (or not in many cases) that should not be tampered with, still has seats, a steering wheel, and pedals...

there are soo many threads that ask generic questions that refer to EVERY CAR on earth.. what happens when you run out of gas? hmmmmm maybe your car stops driving.. but only because it's a yaris... yarii are unique to that feature....

Correct. I added my 0.02 from what im guessing is long gone, from before the "site hack."

Im not defending their posts about their experience, just repeating them for those that might have missed it.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #28
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtWt View Post
Obviously, it is very important to be kind to charcoal!

Be Safe, Have Fun!

LtWt
I'm cyber-diagnosing LtWt with autism or asberger's syndrome
Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #29
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoguy View Post
Hi talnlnky,

I always thought it was to keep the fuel pump cool..... as it is a submerged pump and if the fuel level gets to low it can overheat as there is no fuel to conduct the heat away hence, will not last as long.
The fuel keeps the pump cool, but it is the fuel flowing through the pump doing the cooling, not the fact that the pump may (or may not) be submerged. And running out of gas will not overheat the pump, because fuel always flows as long as the engine runs (needless to say). The car's computer will shut off the pump as soon as the engine stops. Therefore, the pump will never run "dry".
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #30
songa

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan (Black)
Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreat38 View Post
I'm cyber-diagnosing LtWt with autism or asberger's syndrome
HAHAHAHAH LtWt has some funy ass posts.

well i dont know how much runnig dry hurts your car, but i did find out what the experience is like the hard way a couple days ago....the gas became less responsive, and after a few seconds the engine just shut off. luckily aaa came to the rescue and got me a free gallon or 2. for all new drivers you MUST get AAA service!!

just wanted to comment on mad max's post earlier...i never top off my tank, i always fill it until the pump automatically stops. i never manually add more gas to the tank after that. one time tho, the pump didnt stop until 11.8 gallons, on my 11.1 tank. not sure why as ididnt top it off at all.
songa is offline   Reply With Quote