Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
JustPassinThru

Drives: No more Yaris
KEEP or SELL: 2012 Yaris hatch

Keep it or dump it?

My whole circumstances have changed with a move...where I lived in a medium-size city, I'm now living in a largish college-town. With a bus line.

Where I used to drive 35 miles to work, now I'm three miles away.

Where I used to have shaded parking, now I park in a dusty industrial area.

I needed a beater; I found a rust-free Tacoma pickup, a 1999. Not nearly as good on gas; but with a two-mile drive to work (with work duffle; can't walk it) there's scarcely any difference.

I don't like starting up a good car to just drive a couple of miles. So the beater fits well.

I could keep the Yaris...in the future I might need it. But right now, it's just sitting in a storage unit.

Keep or sell? I have an idea what's gonna happen with gas. But the truck is actually cheaper all-around...
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:44 AM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
so are you looking for someone to talk you out of selling it because you seem to have your mind made up.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
so are you looking for someone to talk you out of selling it because you seem to have your mind made up.
No.

I don't wanna sell; but I can't really think of a logical reason to keep. The best reason I have for hanging on, is that depreciation would hit me hardest here...from where I bought it, new, to now.

It's got 25,000 miles on it.

It probably will have some future use, either as a distance-travel machine (reliable and relatively new) or should I eventually move out of town. But in the interim it's costing me monthly storage. I could park it outside, but it would be at work - dusty and industrial; and the hot mountain sun would burn the paint and damage the interior.

So I just don't know. Don't have to do anything quickly; it's paid for.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

are you the type that drives at all for the joy of it?

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:44 AM   #5
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Did you buy the truck already?
If your car is paid in full, then keep it.
Crisis in Iraq is already driving gas prices up...

or sell it and get a bicycle!
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Did you buy the truck already?
If your car is paid in full, then keep it.
Crisis in Iraq is already driving gas prices up...

or sell it and get a bicycle!
Yeah.

Truck's paid for. It's a beater...solid; but looks like a fleet rig. So it was cheap.

It's not necessarily either/or.

The Middle East situation is worrisome. But with it, there's those crazies in Washingtoon who want to force us to use TWENTY PERCENT ethanol gas.

Toyota won't sign on with that; they have said, rightly, that it will damage their cars and most other cars. If I'm going to ruin a car with bad/improper fuel, I'd rather it was a cheap car. And if I can't get the proper fuel for a car, a (relatively) expensive car...what good is it to me?
Old 06-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #7
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
are you the type that drives at all for the joy of it?
Don't have the time now.

Frankly...no. I'm older and driving (a car) for the hell of it is a lost pleasure.

I also have a BMW motorcycle, for joyrides. Don't have time for THAT, either, anymore.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Interesting situation.

A truck is a handy thing to have regardless of the circumstances. Although my Yaris does haul almost everything I need to still there will be times it wont.

If it were me I would keep the Yaris. Youre taking a hit when you sell it. Buying a truck is another hit. The Yaris is just the best thing out there period. Im sure your situation will change again in its lifetime.

Physical appearance is financially meaningless.

Just my opinions!
Old 06-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #9
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Physical appearance is financially meaningless.
Not true in today's truck market; where fashion is nine-tenths of it all. A vast majority of truck buyers have only limited need for 4wd; yet that's the rage. Someone who's buying a crew-cab truck (the more-common new style now) is really better off with just a CAR.

But it is what it is.

I bought this Tacoma from a Toyota dealer; it was priced BELOW KBB prices. It's 2wd, which is a market liability here; it's painted an oxidized white...as I said, looks like a city-DPW truck, even though it never was.

So I got it, cheap. And it's cheap transport to the gritty yard where I work; and it'll be cheap to move furniture and crap in.

I could take it "home" (my old residence) where 4wd is much-less in demand, and sell it for a $1000 profit. But there's no need for that. I did okay and I'm happy.

I'm leaning towards keeping the Yaris...I just keep asking myself, "What for?"
Old 06-28-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Sell the yaris.

But if it was me, I'd keep the yaris and beat it up and never have bought a truck.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Sell the yaris.

But if it was me, I'd keep the yaris and beat it up and never have bought a truck.
That would be you.

The Yaris is like-new; been garaged all the time I've owned it. No point tearing up a good car.

The first week on the job, someone splattered a mortar-water mix on the passenger-side door. Cost me $50 to get that buffed out.

With time; with the sun and the grit and the abuse a car gets in that lot...I'll lose a lot more in value on that car than the $3000 I spent on that old Toyota truck.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #12
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Not true in today's truck market; where fashion is nine-tenths of it all. A vast majority of truck buyers have only limited need for 4wd; yet that's the rage.
Oh if you want to include the public anything goes.

4WD also a waste of money. Also non differential front and rear wheels gonna cause problems!

I understand Chevy is selling Silverados for $65,000. Well, some of them.

Pretty crazy.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:34 AM   #13
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
I'm leaning towards keeping the Yaris...I just keep asking myself, "What for?"
You, and only you, can truly answer your own question.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #14
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
That would be you.

The Yaris is like-new; been garaged all the time I've owned it. No point tearing up a good car.

The first week on the job, someone splattered a mortar-water mix on the passenger-side door. Cost me $50 to get that buffed out.

With time; with the sun and the grit and the abuse a car gets in that lot...I'll lose a lot more in value on that car than the $3000 I spent on that old Toyota truck.

Perhaps. But if the intention is to keep is a long time, I don't see a problem. That's what is happening with my 07. It's 8 years old this year and despite trying to keep it clean/babied, it's showing its abuse now.

I gotta say that your workplace is intense against cars. Lol
Old 06-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
Keep it or dump it?

I could keep the Yaris...in the future I might need it. But right now, it's just sitting in a storage unit.

Keep or sell? I have an idea what's gonna happen with gas. But the truck is actually cheaper all-around...
This whole thread is pointless. OP obviously already made the decision while typing this post to begin with. 9 out of 10 reply's say OP should keep the yaris, yet OP still has a defense on why the truck is better.

I don't get understand the reasoning behind this thread.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #16
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
This whole thread is pointless. OP obviously already made the decision while typing this post to begin with. 9 out of 10 reply's say OP should keep the yaris, yet OP still has a defense on why the truck is better.

At this point I say sell all the vehicles and pock up a Segway then

Old 06-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #17
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post

Thought I was the only one who noticed that.
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #18
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Because people are bored, curious, and have nothing else to do.

I honestly don't care what my car looks like, as long as there is no rust and the mechanical bits are in good working order, everything is fine.

But if you own the car outright, and don't think you will live where you do forever, or plan on driving anywhere but work, you should keep the Yaris. A 2 mile commute is one thing, a much longer trip for any reason at all and you will want the Yaris.