Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Spark Doing Quite Well According To NY Times

The tiny Chevrolet Spark from General Motors is about as bare bones as cars come these days, with hand-crank windows, no floor mats and one of the smallest engines of any car. Air-conditioning is optional. But to the surprise of even G.M. itself, which has traditionally struggled to sell small cars, the Spark has become an unlikely hit as many American buyers warm to a car that is cheap to buy and to operate.

Multimedia
Graphic Sizing Up Small Cars.Enlarge This Image
Chevrolet
American buyers have warmed to the Spark, with a low price tag and affordable operating costs. It is made in South Korea.
The Spark, made in South Korea, seats four, has room for groceries — and starts at $12,170, significantly less than the Fiat 500’s starting price of $16,100. It’s also inexpensive to run, getting about 35 miles to the gallon.

In July, sales of the Spark increased 163 percent over the previous year, its introductory month, to a record 3,847, showing that a stripped-down minicar can succeed in a market crowded with costlier rivals like the Fiat 500 that have more features and technology. Its July sales outpaced the Fiat 500’s 2,821, which was a 24 percent decline from a year earlier. Through July this year, Spark sales were 21,435, behind only the Fiat 500’s 23,892 among minicars.

“To me, it’s an appliance,” said William Wortman of Ohio City near Cleveland, who in April bought a Spark with manual transmission for his weekly 250-mile commute to his job as a toolmaker. The Spark’s 1.2-liter, four-cylinder engine makes it the smallest in the Chevrolet lineup.

“It gets me back and forth,” he said. “All I wanted was a radio.”

Even G.M. did not expect it would resonate this way with consumers. “We’re very surprised with how well the vehicle has been selling,” said Cristi Landy, Chevrolet marketing director.

Beyond its cost, what separates the Spark, buyers say, is that it’s the only minicar sold in the United States with four doors.

“The ability to get four adults in a minicar like that is what sells the vehicle,” said Andy Lilienthal, of Portland, Ore., who has run a blog on small cars, called Subcompact Culture, since 2008.

G.M.’s decision to market a minicar like the Spark was a logical one, analysts said. With gasoline routinely topping $4 a gallon, many Americans are seeking better mileage. But automakers also need to make their fleets more efficient to meet strict new federal fuel economy standards that take effect in 2016, said Michelle Krebs, a senior analyst for Edmunds.com.

“Everybody’s going in that direction,” Ms. Krebs said, “but no one expected G.M. to do it as well as they have.”

More broadly, minicars and subcompacts, which like the Chevrolet Sonic are slightly bigger, now make up 5.9 percent of overall vehicle sales, according to Edmunds.com. That is compared with 3.1 percent in 2007.

For the automakers, smaller cars have become a profitable niche in an area where they have often been outdone against foreign competition.

“There was skepticism in general that Detroit could not make small cars and compete with the Japanese market, but we’re over that,” Ms. Krebs said.

Beyond better fuel economy and cost savings, the styling and technology are helping change the perception of cars like the Spark, known as “penalty boxes” in the 1980s, implying that the driver was being punished for not affording a larger car. In the 1980s and ’90s, junkyards across America quickly became littered with duds like the Yugo GV, Daihatsu Charade and Geo Metro.

“You were basically buying these slow, underpowered vehicles with the only advantage being that they were cheap,” Mr. Lilienthal said.

The Spark and its competitors, including the best-selling Nissan Versa subcompact and No. 2 Kia Soul — which are slightly bigger and have four doors but cost about the same — come with features that were never included in subcompact cars, from air conditioning and power locks to Bluetooth and smartphone navigation.

Now, buyers ask themselves, “Do I need to buy a full-size sedan, or can I get away with a Nissan Versa?” Mr. Lilienthal said.

Automakers have also taken a different tack in marketing the cars, promoting them as fun to drive and easy to maneuver around the city, as well as the cost advantage.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Andy quote!
I'm noticing a pattern......
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
I think it's a nice offering from Chevy but there's many more reasons not to buy than to buy it.

I think purchasing it makes most sense if you are simply a big fan of mini cars. If so, this is the most practical one.

The problems?

It starts cheap, but actually not as one might expect. The much larger Nissan Versa starts lower.

It's gas mileage is very good - 31/39. But again, some bigger, more powerful cars out there do as well or better.

Why do the headlights have to be so awkwardly large? They run the entire length of the hood. That kills the design for me.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
bronsin

All true.

But if you hope for smaller, practical, fuel efficient cars that dont cost a lot its encouraging!

In the past when reviewing small cars the NY Times didnt give them any respect at all. That there are people who want a small car in and if itself didnt seem to occur to them.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
with hand-crank windows

Quote:
no floor mats
I've long resented this thrown on as an option from the fac.tory on some cars...always overpriced

Quote:
Air-conditioning is optional
I tried this once (in the SF Bay Area). Never again.

Quote:
that is cheap to buy and to operate
Cheap to operate remains to be seen

Quote:
starts at $12,170, significantly less than the Fiat 500’s starting price of $16,100. It’s also inexpensive to run, getting about 35 miles to the gallon
I think SailDesign is beating this, but probably not by enough to make up for the cost difference until the car is 'high mileage'.

Quote:
bought a Spark with manual transmission

Quote:
what separates the Spark, buyers say, is that it’s the only minicar sold in the United States with four doors
4 door version of the Mini Cooper not considered a minicar? (I know, it doesn't compete with the Spark on price )

Quote:
“The ability to get four adults in a minicar like that is what sells the vehicle,” said Andy Lilienthal, of Portland, Ore., who has run a blog on small cars, called Subcompact Culture, since 2008
"like that" = inexpensive?

Quote:
cars like the Spark, known as “penalty boxes” in the 1980s, implying that the driver was being punished for not affording a larger car
LOL. Never heard this term before. Also, the notion that someone would drive an inexpensive car primarily/largely because that is all they can afford is foreign to me. I guess I just know a fair number of cheap well situated people who don't feel a 'car judgement' is very important.

Quote:
slow, underpowered vehicles
Just fine by some people (Including me).

Quote:
with the only advantage being that they were cheap
If you hate parting with a dollar (on principle), then this is a big advantage

Quote:
Now, buyers ask themselves, “Do I need to buy a full-size sedan, or can I get away with a Nissan Versa?” Mr. Lilienthal said.

Quote:
Automakers have also taken a different tack in marketing the cars, promoting them as fun to drive and easy to maneuver around the city, as well as the cost advantage.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post

4 door version of the Mini Cooper not considered a minicar? (I know, it doesn't compete with the Spark on price )
Have you seen one up close? It's a veritable land barge compared to a Spark. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration. However, the Countryman is 17" longer than a Spark, has nearly nine inches of wheel base on the Chevy, and weighs nearly 700 lbs. more.

Quote:
"like that" = inexpensive?
The price is great. However, a Smart ForTwo Pure starts at $12,490. The price is only part of it. The Spark is infinately more practical than a ForTwo, ForExample.

By the way, I totally dig the Spark. I think it's a cool little vehicle in both gas and EV-powered iterations.

- Andy
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Have you seen one up close? It's a veritable land barge compared to a Spark. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration. However, the Countryman is 17" longer than a Spark, has nearly nine inches of wheel base on the Chevy, and weighs nearly 700 lbs. more.

The price is great. However, a Smart ForTwo Pure starts at $12,490. The price is only part of it. The Spark is infinately more practical than a ForTwo, ForExample.

By the way, I totally dig the Spark. I think it's a cool little vehicle in both gas and EV-powered iterations.

- Andy
I like a number of things about the Spark, I just wonder about the long term reliability and what real world MPG owners are getting. I agree it is more practical (and far better) than a Smart ForTwo.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
bronsin

The SMART just might be the cheapest car you can actually see and buy at a dealer though. At least in NJ. Every Spark I saw at my local dealer was $16,000+!

The SMART suspension is stiff like a Corvettes.

If I had a SMART I would take out the passenger seat to store things like groceries for the trip home.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
I like a number of things about the Spark, I just wonder about the long term reliability and what real world MPG owners are getting. I agree it is more practical (and far better) than a Smart ForTwo.
I had the Spark for a few days and was easily able to get 36 MPG out of it in mixed driving conditions. Granted, that's just over a few days. I, too, will look forward to seeing how these do in the long term. My guess is the'll do quite well overall.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I had the Spark for a few days and was easily able to get 36 MPG out of it in mixed driving conditions. Granted, that's just over a few days. I, too, will look forward to seeing how these do in the long term. My guess is the'll do quite well overall.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The SMART just might be the cheapest car you can actually see and buy at a dealer though. At least in NJ. Every Spark I saw at my local dealer was $16,000+!

The SMART suspension is stiff like a Corvettes.

If I had a SMART I would take out the passenger seat to store things like groceries for the trip home.
Parts of your state are quite beautiful, and I enjoy spending time there. However, trying to get a question answered by a government entity and putting up with the costs re bloated bureaucracies (even if you aren't a resident) leaves a sane person shaking his or her head. It doesn't surprise me that you aren't seeing any sub 16K examples of the Spark. I agree with you re the room and action re the seat for the Smart ForTwo. That alone would nix that choice in my book. I got a similar feeling when I sat in the IQ at an auto show.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #12
bronsin

I drove an iQ and its soft riding. After half an hour in it it feels like a much larger car inside!

I think they made the iQ to go one better on the SMART. Its got a lot more interior space and can sit 3 or 4 people/kids.

It was too luxo for my taste however. Or maybe faux luxo!

In my book the all time small car champ is the ECHO!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
That car scared me to death when I drove it.
We only have hills in Texas, No big mountains right?
Yet this car was like going backwards on everything... and it was automatic.
It also seemed to lack the "Zip" my Yaris has.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #14
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Why do the headlights have to be so awkwardly large? They run the entire length of the hood. That kills the design for me.
It looks like a baby dragon to me for some reason.
I think I need to lay off the anime for a while. LOL!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septembersrain View Post
It looks like a baby dragon to me for some reason.
I think I need to lay off the anime for a while. LOL!!!
LOL. The only thing about the looks that I really dislike is the way the color/paint comes inside the car and 'frames' the doors, etc. I don't recall ever seeing that on any car before the Spark. Perhaps the Spark is not the only one...but the only one to combine that with loud colors ? For some reason, that really bugs me.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
LOL. The only thing about the looks that I really dislike is the way the color/paint comes inside the car and 'frames' the doors, etc. I don't recall ever seeing that on any car before the Spark. Perhaps the Spark is not the only one...but the only one to combine that with loud colors ? For some reason, that really bugs me.
Yeah, I never understood why automakers relate small affordable cars with playful "young" themes. As if children are buying the cars. Small economy cars should be as maturely designed as any other segment. It's a fact that a majority of these cars designed for young people are actually bought by older people.

Remember the PT Cruiser had body colored dash panels. Although it stopped there. None on the doors like the Spark.

Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
It's a fact that a majority of these cars designed for young people are actually bought by older people.
Really!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
Thirty-Nine

I don't think the interior is "immature," if you will. I do think it pushes design boundaries, and I think that's a good thing. Personally, I love the look of the Spark's interior, but that's just my two cents.