Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
JDJanitor

Drives: 2016 yaris
Disable ac on defrost setting

Is there a simple way to disable the AC on defrost mode? I have a 2016 5 door
I don't want to pull the fuse, or permanently disable ac. I want to be able to turn it on here and there to keep it working. I just can't stand that it makes my ac kick on and off.
In understand the reasoning behind it, but many times it's the outside that needs to be heated. If humidity inside is an issue I want to hit the ac button, I don't want the car to do it for me.
I read online some older crvs allow you to program this auto ac mode off. I hope the Yaris has a secret program.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
JDJanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The fact that you can’t control the AC used to drive me nuts too. There was a way to do it if you search for it hopefully somebody will chime in. But I’m come to prescient the fact that it defogs the windows very quickly And efficiently as it is.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
On a 07-12, it is a physical switch on the rotary knob. Just like the older echo.

And, if it's the outside that need to be heated, you might want to step outside to scrape the ice off.

The button is actually a defog button, not defrost 🤣
More expensive cars have heated windshield that actually defrost.....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJanitor View Post
I just can't stand that it makes my ac kick on and off.
This at least ensures that the a/c does see periodic use. Nothing worse than experiencing something failing due to lack of use.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
A/C w/ defrost/defog

On an 07, does the A/C come on like this only on the full clockwise position of the control knob?
(defrost defog)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
JDJanitor

When I leave for work some mornings my windshield is cold, and condenses on the outside, and the wiper wipes it away, when the defog, defrost is on it will warm it up enough to stop it from happening.
I just want to be able to leave the vent on the mode that blows on windshield without the AC running. Ac kills gas mileage, and it is not always needed.
I just want to choose when the compressor kicks on and off 🤪

Old 06-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
On an 07, does the A/C come on like this only on the full clockwise position of the control knob?
(defrost defog)
It does come on when set to windshield+foot.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDJanitor View Post
When I leave for work some mornings my windshield is cold, and condenses on the outside, and the wiper wipes it away, when the defog, defrost is on it will warm it up enough to stop it from happening.
I just want to be able to leave the vent on the mode that blows on windshield without the AC running. Ac kills gas mileage, and it is not always needed.
I just want to choose when the compressor kicks on and off ��

Looks like you’ll have to try searching for it. There is a way to do it but I don’t remember what it is.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:11 PM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Simple search 'disable a/c'

One of the threads found is a D.I.Y.

However, the procedure is for a Gen2.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:41 PM   #10
JDJanitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Simple search 'disable a/c'

One of the threads found is a D.I.Y.

However, the procedure is for a Gen2.

I was reading that last night, mine is a later model.
I was hoping there was a trick without having to use a soldering iron for newer cars

Old 08-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #11
sunsanvil

Drives: 2018 LE 5DR A4
When we got our 2007 I worried/obsessed about this. Not wanting to mod the car in any way, I did nothing. I keep immaculate records though and honestly, the mileage in winter was in no notable way worse than our 00 Echo which had no A/C at all.

My understanding is that when it starts to get too cold out for the A/C to be able to cool the incoming air temp, the control circuit will get a low pressure reading from the A/C system (in combination with a crap load of other sensor data) and effectively turn if off anyway (even if you manually turn A/C on). In other words, the system is not stupid: it probably isn't trying to cool -40C air. :)

This is totally anecdotal on my part but after 12 years in Atlantic Canada, that 07's A/C worked as well as the day it rolled off the line, whereas I have many many memories of olders cars (without the A/C-Defroster relationship) which all seem to have A/C issues after 5 or 6 years.
sunsanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #12
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
I've A/C-deleted all my prior cars when they quit blowing cold. But do love this Yaris A/C and get the impression it uses very little extra fuel.

Last edited by dogsridewith; 08-27-2018 at 11:39 AM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
IllusionX

I almost never switch to front defrost during the winter, or anytime at all and my AC has never quit in 12years.

The Yaris still blows some air to the windshield with the setting to the feet only.

And I'm pretty sure the compressor still works at -30°C, but the thing acts more like a dehumidifier than AC.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #14
sunsanvil

Drives: 2018 LE 5DR A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
And I'm pretty sure the compressor still works at -30°C, but the thing acts more like a dehumidifier than AC.
I'd be surprised. Looking at the service manual for the 2007, it shows the evaporator coming before the heater core (and/or PTC), so its not as though the air is heated, then cooled (and thereby dehumidified). Rather it is cooled first which means that when its -30C outside, the A/C would have to achieve a temp at the evaporator of less than -30C to have any effect at all.
sunsanvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #15
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsanvil View Post
I'd be surprised. Looking at the service manual for the 2007, it shows the evaporator coming before the heater core (and/or PTC), so its not as though the air is heated, then cooled (and thereby dehumidified). Rather it is cooled first which means that when its -30C outside, the A/C would have to achieve a temp at the evaporator of less than -30C to have any effect at all.
Part of the air is recirculated under the glovebox and yes even in fresh air mode, so that sends ambient air through the evaporator, I'm sure that's effective enough to dry the moisture in the air.