Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #37
coheed

Drives: 08 BB LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekqmb View Post
They actually make tires that are made to pretty much be stretched and are used for negative camber. Alot of VW owners use them....
Actually these tire are tried and true stretchers. Some pros use them in D1GP so idk why anyone would feel unsafe using them on the street.

toyo t1-s
dunlop sp9000
dunlop sp8080e
falken fk451
Old 01-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #38
jekqmb
Local Sh*t Disturber

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by coheed View Post
Actually these tire are tried and true stretchers. Some pros use them in D1GP so idk why anyone would feel unsafe using them on the street.

toyo t1-s
dunlop sp9000
dunlop sp8080e
falken fk451
Thank you sir!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:39 PM   #39
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
enough of the bickering... when are you getting your wheels? I want to see these bad boys on your car
Old 01-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #40
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
+1.

phxdemon, state your source for all the claims in post #28 -- then we can have a real, informed discussion on the matter.
How about you find one tire manufacturer that recommends putting a 205 tire on a 9 inch rim, and then we can have a discussion. Or Racerfreak can put up a link of a "pro drifter" using some ridiculous stretch. I'm not talking 5-10% out of specs, I'm talking a 205 on a 9 inch rim
Old 01-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #41
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

do some reading cuz it'll take me too long to find a pic of a pro drift car streched considering they are pics of them drifting.

http://www.drifting.com/forums/tech-...hind-them.html

I'm not gonna lie I'd rather put a 215 on a 9" but it could be a 195
Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #42
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
do some reading cuz it'll take me too long to find a pic of a pro drift car streched considering they are pics of them drifting.

http://www.drifting.com/forums/tech-...hind-them.html

I'm not gonna lie I'd rather put a 215 on a 9" but it could be a 195
Post 1 from your link:

Ive heard that hey give you better grip, but ive also heard that its more for show and a lot more stuff.

Post 2 from your link:

but in all honesty, if i can stretch a 245 on a rim designed for a 275, id run the 275.

Thanks! Even wannabe drifters disagree with you.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #43
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Post 1 from your link:

Ive heard that hey give you better grip, but ive also heard that its more for show and a lot more stuff.

Post 2 from your link:

but in all honesty, if i can stretch a 245 on a rim designed for a 275, id run the 275.

Thanks! Even wannabe drifters disagree with you.

I love subjective reading ... I'm not saying stretch is better but saying it serves a purpose and is not bad. I would never run a major stretch on car for grip but then again your not gonna fit a 245 on a 9" wide wheel on a yaris.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #44
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I think stretched tires look pretty cool, I'm not gonna lie. However, if it were advantageous to stretch your tires for performance, don't you think most racecars (not just D1 drivers) would do it?

Stretching, from what I understood, came from the need to pass inspection in Germany/Belgium. The inspection required that the tire's tread be completely under/inline with the fender. This, of course, didn't allow for very wide wheels or low offsets. So, people started to stretch the tires—tread was still in the fender, but the sidewalls and whatnot poked out a bit.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #45
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

well small stretching actually eliminates side wall flex... that's about all it does for grip racing. It helps create a smoother drift but most people just get bigger wheels to cut down on side wall flex. I still give the op lots of credit for stretching the wheels on the little yaris.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #46
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
How about you find one tire manufacturer that recommends putting a 205 tire on a 9 inch rim, and then we can have a discussion.
Why wouldn't you call for phxdemon to state his source also, as I requested? He stated an opinion; I did not. I asked for information. Something wrong with that?

I'm sure Toyota doesn't recommend half the crap we do to our cars, but they in point of fact run better and/or make more power -- so what's your point about manufacturers?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #47
supmet
Banned

Quote:
Why wouldn't you call for phxdemon to state his source also, as I requested? He stated an opinion; I did not. I asked for information. Something wrong with that?
Because 99.9% of people don't stretch their tires, and its widely accepted as bad for the tire, and the rest of the car.

Quote:
I'm sure Toyota doesn't recommend half the crap we do to our cars, but they in point of fact run better and/or make more power -- so what's your point about manufacturers?
It doesn't offer performance gains, find me an auto crosser running a ridiculous stretch and placing.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #48
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Because 99.9% of people don't stretch their tires, and its widely accepted as bad for the tire, and the rest of the car.
gains, find me an auto crosser running a ridiculous stretch and placing.
Useless argument....99.9% of the population doesn't modify their car or even know what "tire stretching" is given this frame of context.

OBVIOUSLY....autcrossing is totally different than being on a track or on the street. It's night and day....
Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #49
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i've come to the conclusion that arguing with boneheads who want to do what they want to do, regardless of other data out there, is a giant waste of time. therefore i'm leaving one last thought.

to each their own.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #50
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
I say let the man do whatever he wants to do. YOur style or not just let him do it.

And DerFlosser, it seems like all you do is get in arguments.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #51
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
how did autocrossing become the point, supmet? Irrelevant to a guy with a street car running stretched tires. Hey Walter and other stretched-tire-guys, how many flats or tires coming off the rims have you ever had? THAT is real data, which is all I keep asking for.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #52
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Got enough complaints gonna close this till everyone settles down.
Closed Thread