Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
Lightbulb DIY: $0 fix for LED hyper-blinkin' turn signal flasher

Hi, I've installed LED turn signal bulbs on my Yaris for quite some time.

Naturally, the flasher does hyper-blink but I lived with it.

However, I've refrained from installing the inline load resistors, as that would defeat the purpose of using LED bulbs -- lower power consumption.

While considering replacing resistors on the flasher relay module
(and of course, to finally found and unplugged it -- my Yaris is RHD so it was located up and away behind the steering column. REAL PITA ),
I found this:

http://v-ledsblog.com/2010/12/02/how...k-with-v-leds/

Man, it works! I had to grind down the resistor shunt for more than indicated though, to the point it was razor-blade thin and about 2mm in width,
(You just have to grind down at one point to make a narrow passage. I did the top of the hoop.)
because I use all LEDs on my 4 corners. If you use only a pair of LEDs, either front or back, then you wouldn't have to grind down as much.

In short: it increases the value of reference resistance in the flasher circuit.
As LED bulbs (well, they're not actually bulbs) have higher resistance than standard filament bulbs.
And by grinding off the resistor shunt -- a passage for current, the narrower = the more resistance.
So this method will increase the threshold where the bulb-out hyper-blinking mode will kick in.
Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blinkers, flasher, led