Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
a/c compressor relay unit??

issue with a/c compressor clutch not activating...

i got power on the a/c button but no power being fed on the ac compressor ..fuse is ok but it seems like there might be a relay in between which toyota cant find...

anyone has a a/c diagram for our cars..??? thanks a million

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #2
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
ive seen this issue before on other cars. the clutch activating is after it checks sensors.

make sure you ac system is charged as in a discharged system will not allow the cluch to activate.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
As I mentioned in your other thread - There is no relay! The AC ECU drives the compressor clutch via a FET within the AC ECU.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
As I mentioned in your other thread - There is no relay! The AC ECU drives the compressor clutch via a FET within the AC ECU.
so me not getting power on the compressor maybe sensor issue then.. 3 guys in toyota cant figure it out but they did check the ac fluid was full cant do compression check without the compressor spinning...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 10-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
so me not getting power on the compressor maybe sensor issue then.. 3 guys in toyota cant figure it out but they did check the ac fluid was full cant do compression check without the compressor spinning...
Did they actually plug the TechStream tool in and see what the AC ECU has to say?
Old 10-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Did they actually plug the TechStream tool in and see what the AC ECU has to say?
they wont do it unless the a/c button is blinking..which is not. would an obd reader give me a code i think my frind has one..

Old 10-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
they wont do it unless the a/c button is blinking..which is not. would an obd reader give me a code i think my frind has one..
Only a TechStream will communicate with it. A regular OBDII scan tool doesn't have the protocol info for the Toyota specific diags.

There is no flashing error light mode for the AC. I know first hand, as I have and AC ECU running on my test bench that I talk to with my TechStream tool and my YarGauge. It has about 6 DTCs logged, since it has power and CAN comm connections and the only sensor connected is the ambient temp sensor.

Do you have another dealer you can work with, since it seems like the service people at this one don't have a clue as to what they are doing.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Only a TechStream will communicate with it. A regular OBDII scan tool doesn't have the protocol info for the Toyota specific diags.

There is no flashing error light mode for the AC. I know first hand, as I have and AC ECU running on my test bench that I talk to with my TechStream tool and my YarGauge. It has about 6 DTCs logged, since it has power and CAN comm connections and the only sensor connected is the ambient temp sensor.

Do you have another dealer you can work with, since it seems like the service people at this one don't have a clue as to what they are doing.
ok ill try that......thanks

Old 10-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

And to double confirm that - Crashy has no AC compressor, but has everything else hooked up and her's doesn't flash either.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
did u try reading the ac clutch wires to see if voltage is getting to the clutch?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
did u try reading the ac clutch wires to see if voltage is getting to the clutch?
no power running so i need to trace that wire since fuse is ok.. it could be sensor good thing its already cold....we shall see

Old 10-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I beleive there is a pressure sensor that detects if the refridgerant is low it will not allow the a/c compressor to engage.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Per the service manual, it could be any of the below, which is why he really needs to have someone plug in a TechStream tool to narrow it down:

A/C Fuse
Refrigerant pressure
Compressor and pulley
Air conditioning pressure sensor
Evaporator temperature sensor
Air conditioning amplifier
ECM
CAN communication
Old 03-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
marcus
toyota

hey ctscott..im barrowing a techstrem next week incase we cant figure out how to test my a/c issue ...any tips?? thanks im actually betting its the ambient temp sensor but we shall see..

Quote:
Per the service manual, it could be any of the below, which is why he really needs to have someone plug in a TechStream tool to narrow it down:

A/C Fuse
Refrigerant pressure
Compressor and pulley
Air conditioning pressure sensor
Evaporator temperature sensor
Air conditioning amplifier
ECM
CAN communication

Old 03-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
hey ctscott..im barrowing a techstrem next week incase we cant figure out how to test my a/c issue ...any tips?? thanks im actually betting its the ambient temp sensor but we shall see..
Just hook it up and see what it says. Checked the stored DTCs first (which it will display as soon as you go into the AC section).
Old 03-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
marcus
toyota

do i hook it up then start the engine or just turn the key on on acc mode...?? thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
do i hook it up then start the engine or just turn the key on on acc mode...?? thanks
You can hook it up and switch the key to "ON" to start with. You don't have to have the engine running to read the DTCs. Once you see what the codes are, then you can start the engine and attempt to engage the AC, while watching the "data" from the AC ECU.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #18
marcus
toyota

got it thanks!!!