Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2009, 01:39 AM   #37
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Two thumbs up for the Meguires 3 Step Process
this was my truck the day I sold it...
7 years old and 270,000km later... the body looked flawless. the dealership I sold it two thought it was a NEW truck....

Old 05-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #38
Benggolf2

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS 4-Door LB
Awesome results. Wow!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:04 PM   #39
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
Are you using th NXT liquid or paste?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:01 PM   #40
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
i prefer liquid
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #41
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
do you use any type of motorized buffer or device during this process or is it all by hand? anyone can recommend a device that will assist in detailing the exterior of a car, maybe something that would hook to an existing battery operated drill?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #42
yarhead

Drives: 07 hatch
ohok, these are great tips.. the only bad part about it and is missing is a complete communication process. you convey and we understand and voula! communications.. ha ha ha. ok, enough having fun here. i get most of what you have written and since am dont know nothing about detailing i dont have the foggiest ideat of what products to use. you see, am not the only one who would love to have a shinny car like you. please, set up a list of products with names and what it is used for and where to get them. for example:

for a dirty car who usually park out off a garage.
1. claybar-product-store- name-how to apply
2. paint cleaner- p..name- how to
..and so on..

garaged car
1.. so on and so on..

that would be the best way to get your point across to those who want to be like you but needs to be up to speed.

thank you for reading and i hope to see a nice list, products with names, and quick how to notes.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #43
toyota
SRacer

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via Yahoo to toyota
your car looks great?
how did you find out about this?

Learn The Truth about Six Pack Fast!
toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:31 AM   #44
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Excellent work YarisSedan!

Don't forget to clay bar your windows too! I did basically the same process last September as YarisSedan (nice color choice by the way - Flint Metallic Mica FTW ). I could hardly believe how much crud came off on the clay bar! I use a Porter Cable random orbital buffer, sure does save the arms!

After I was all done (pic before eyelids):

And for Yarhead, products I use, purchased from a local auto parts store:
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:09 PM   #45
red_rims
Black Yaris

Drives: Black Yaris
Hey so does the claybar get the water stains off the window???? I need to know because its been hard drviving during sunset time. You did a good job man.
red_rims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:52 AM   #46
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIPNGAS View Post
THAT looks FABULOUS!! If I had a garage, I'd be doing that...
Yeah, if you don't have a garage the results only last a few days and it hardly seems worth the effort.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:58 AM   #47
YarisSedan

Yeah i been looking to get a porter cable but endeded getting a cordless polisher instead. Good for when your on the go or when im doing mobile detailing.

The results last more than few days. My shine last for about 2 months. And i can boost it whenever i want with quick detail or spray wax. The main purpose of this is to protect the paint and to remove contaminants. So that your car will stay looking new longer than have a higher resale value when you are ready to sell it.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #48
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_rims View Post
Hey so does the claybar get the water stains off the window???? I need to know because its been hard drviving during sunset time. You did a good job man.
Possibly (I used the clay bar in conjunction with the Quick Detailer), or you may have to go with something more aggressive. In the past I've used a powdered cleaner (like Comet - the no scratch kind) with a 'no scratch' Scotch Brite pad and water on the windows, then followed it up a glass polish product. If you have a buffer for the final step, it's much easier to do! Don't forget to clean the inside of your windows with a high quality glass cleaner. I use old newspaper as it does not leave any lint or residue behind. <Thanks!>

YarisSedan - totally agree! -> "The results last more than few days. My shine last for about 2 months. And i can boost it whenever i want with quick detail or spray wax. The main purpose of this is to protect the paint and to remove contaminants. So that your car will stay looking new longer than have a higher resale value when you are ready to sell it." Also the car cleans up much easier when it needs to be washed again.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #49
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
I wanted my car to look all purdy for this WE meet up in Marin County

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20964

so I washed it and dried it, and then applied the Meguiars cleaner wax. (I did that because I bought my car used 6 months ago, and I don't know what kind of wax they put on it befpre, I know I should probably have clayed it but I'm not ready to do the whole thing just yet) Anyway. That was step 1. It took me a long time, maybe 2 1/2 hours to do it by hand, so I didn't have time to do anything else to the car the same day.

So if I understand correctly, my next step is to wash the car again (since I'm driving it now) dry it with microfibers towels, and then apply the Meguiars deep crystal product on the picture, then let that dry for a while, then apply the NXT meguiars wax on top? Is that it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post

Final step make sure you get a rubber and plastic polish and detail all the black trim like around the wiper blades and the tire rubber. Also clean inside and outside of glass with stoners invisible glass.

I actually have special micofiber clothes ones for interior, exterior, and glass. Also 3 seperate wax applicators for each step. And drying towels.
I was wondering about that. What do yo use on the outside vinyl / rubber parts?
Also, what do you use to clean the headlights with? (plastic cleaner? or will Stoners be OK on there?)

When you're done, do you wash all the towels together with laundry soap, or do you separate them (wax towels = 1 load, everything else = a different load? Do you use laundry soap or nothing at all on your microfibers towels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_rims View Post
I'm having the same problem. My Yaris has water stains which Stoner's invisible glass cleaner couldnt get out, at least not this time. Clay? Vinegar? Try Stoner's again with newspaper and more elbow grease? ;)

BTW, My car is a 2007, with almost 60K miles already. Just got it used a few months ago, and I want to keep it in the best possible shape inside out, but it's not like I'm working with a new car, you know, and it does sit outside all day, and of course, I don't know how they cleaned it before I got it but the dealership had it really shiny when I bought it.

PS. I will post pictures of my products and my car being washed in a day or so.

Last edited by tomato; 08-24-2009 at 04:45 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #50
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
By the way, Yarissedan, can you make the Marin County meet Saturday?

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20964
Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #51
YarisSedan

Megires makes a product that treats all the rubber plastic parts. For protecting the window moldings etc. I mainly wash my glass cleaner clothes seperate for what i use to clean wax with. But lately i been putting it all together since when i detail several cars in a day i have a huge load. I throw it all in a 5 gallon bucket dump about 7 scoops of oxyclean and a scoop of laundry detergent. Then poor in super ultra hot water. And let it all soak for about 5 hours. Then dump out most of the water and throw it in the washing machine.

When you dry them if you use a dryer make sure you dont use fabric softner.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #52
YarisSedan

Sorry i wont be able to meet i have work that day. My shop is in the process of a lot of changes right now. Were moving racks around and putting a wall up to sublease half of the shop. Today i found out that PB blaster which is pretty much WD 40 when sprayed on the shop floor you can push a rack with 2 people across it to move it form one spot to another LOL. Didnt have to dissasemble it at all. It did though take 5 cans worth to move one single rack. But afterwards we had fun runing from one side of the shop and then sliding 20 feet across to the other lol. What a way to end the day.