Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-16-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
special_k_828

Drives: 2006 Yaris CE 2-Door Hatchback
Shifter linkage bushing stuck!

Hey guys,

Trying to install the "easiest" DIY mod, the NST short shift kit but ran into a problem. The shifter bushing is stuck onto where it mounts on to the original spot. Can't get it off. The cotter pin, washer and linkage are off but the stupid bushing is anchored on there. I have blasted it with liquid wrench and am just waiting right now. It's on there GOOD. I've been prying at it with a screwdriver and applying quite a bit of force but it ain't budging.

help!?
special_k_828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
try switching gears...

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
special_k_828

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
try switching gears...
Thanks Marcus.. tried that but no luck. I took off the airbox so I could have more leverage but still, can't get it off. It's really seized on there! Has this ever happened to anybody?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
any lube lying around ?
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Mine will probably be stuck, when I installed it I had to use a wooden dowel(think plunger handle) and a rubber mallet to pursued it the last 1/3 of the way. I'll be removing mine tonight for a prototype install, if I have the same problem we'll get it worked out in short order.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
special_k_828

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Mine will probably be stuck, when I installed it I had to use a wooden dowel(think plunger handle) and a rubber mallet to pursued it the last 1/3 of the way. I'll be removing mine tonight for a prototype install, if I have the same problem we'll get it worked out in short order.
Let me know if you come up with any solutions mazilla. I might have to take a drill to mine. haha..
Old 05-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
special_k_828

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
any lube lying around ?
Yeah I drenched it in Liquid Wrench but it's not budging.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
you sure switching gear wont do.. coz i had the same issue but i think i just moved it to reverse and it came off quick. try all the gears.. thats a moving parts it shouldnt get seized.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by special_k_828 View Post
Thanks Marcus.. tried that but no luck. I took off the airbox so I could have more leverage but still, can't get it off. It's really seized on there! Has this ever happened to anybody?
I ave the same issue. Mine is literally completely seized onto it. I just gave up.

EDIT: the problem with the design of it, is that if the thign in question gets seized, the whole thing can still pivot inside the rubber in which the linkage sits. The more it seizes, the more it tends to turn inside the rubber instead of on the pivot, which in turn allows for the bushing to seize more by placing less force on it. Vicious cycle.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by special_k_828 View Post
Hey guys,

Trying to install the "easiest" DIY mod, the NST short shift kit but ran into a problem. The shifter bushing is stuck onto where it mounts on to the original spot. Can't get it off. The cotter pin, washer and linkage are off but the stupid bushing is anchored on there. I have blasted it with liquid wrench and am just waiting right now. It's on there GOOD. I've been prying at it with a screwdriver and applying quite a bit of force but it ain't budging.

help!?
Get yourself some PB Blaster.... That'll get it loosened with no problems...
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #11
special_k_828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betrivent View Post
I ave the same issue. Mine is literally completely seized onto it. I just gave up.

EDIT: the problem with the design of it, is that if the thign in question gets seized, the whole thing can still pivot inside the rubber in which the linkage sits. The more it seizes, the more it tends to turn inside the rubber instead of on the pivot, which in turn allows for the bushing to seize more by placing less force on it. Vicious cycle.
This is exactly what happened. I'm in the process of trying to cut through the bushing. I'll just try to find a junkyard one or something (if it comes off).
Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

let me know how that goes, I'd like to get mine working properly as well.. heh
Old 05-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
special_k_828

Quote:
let me know how that goes, I'd like to get mine working properly as well.. heh
Well finally got everything all installed. Would not say it was smooth at ALL. Ended up having to partially cut a piece of the bushing off. The tool that finally got the brass piece off was a pair of short blade clipper/pliers. I grabbed the two sides of the bushing and used the other piece of the linkage as leverage. That, and having been soaked in liquid wrench for a while, finally freed it.

I then discovered the NST SSK hole was not big enough to slip over the linkage piece with the cotter pin so I had to bore it out a bit with my drill. I put the rubber bushing back into place (so it's actually several pieces at the moment until I have time to go to the junkyard and find another one) and placed it over the SSK piece. Shifts nice. Not that much shorter of a throw though but noticeable.

Here is a pic from a Corolla linkage with the same piece stuck! That brass piece is glued to the rubber bushing. I ended up ripping some of it off so I could get to the brass piece.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 AM   #14
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Oh wow. Did you document it with pictures? So from what it sounds like you had to cut the rubber piece off? I dunno if I'm willing to do that.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #15
special_k_828

Quote:
Oh wow. Did you document it with pictures? So from what it sounds like you had to cut the rubber piece off? I dunno if I'm willing to do that.
No pictures. It's definitely not something I'm proud of. I got it done but by no means was it clean

Yeah, the rubber had started to come off anyways because I was working at it so much.

In retrospect, I think the clippers/pliers pictured below paired with the Liquid Wrench could have gotten it done without destroying the rubber bushing. Try to get underneath the brass part, if not, clip right onto it, use the linkage as leverage and pry upwards.