Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
theb

Drives: yaris
Time for a maintenance

Yaris 07 HB, automatic 106,xxx km. Until now things that were replaced are battery, coolant, cabin and air filters and of course oil and filter every 4K.
Now I need to replace front brake pads because they are pretty worn. After replacing them, will this affect brake fluid in any way? I’ll just disconnect the calliper on one side and won’t touch the other side and just hang it with a wire until I replace the pads and put everything back. I won’t be touching brake lines. I want to make sure as this is my first time doing it.
Also is it really necccessary to resurface the rotors?

Thanks all.

Last edited by theb; 04-12-2014 at 01:34 PM.
theb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
You gone need new rotors and pads also clean out the sliders and slider pins/ booties use silicone base grease on sliders and pins ...less is more , u will need 17 and a 14 size wrench and also channel locks to push in the piston back in order for the new pads to fit also make sure the dust ring around piston is pushed back with it..get air out or it will rip, also air out of the booties on the sliding pins. Plus remove the rubber insert on lower pin cos it nothing but a problem lol
Make sure u clean off any rust build up on calliper sliders under the shims too and ur good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
if you take the rotors off, mark their position in relations to the hub as to be sure they go back on the way they came off and prevent any possible issues with the mating surfaces.

Resurfacing the rotors depends on the condition, given that you went 106k on them probably means that they could use some fleshing up as long as they are not too wore down to be resurfaced. if the rotors are have waves or rings on them, then resurface.

As long as you don't open a line in the brake system, you should be fine, the fluid in the caliper will go back into the system when you press the piston back into it.

If after you drive the brakes pulsate and you didn't resurface the rotors then the rotors need to be put on the brake lathe and corrected for wobble.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

More cost efficient to replace rotors I find that having them machined ...and yes if u do remove old rotor to be re used mark hub or best is to clean both the inside of rotor and the hub with die grinder and buffing pads .. I have notice that Yaris likes to eat the inner pads a lot if not maintain

Old 04-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
More cost efficient to replace rotors I find that having them machined ...and yes if u do remove old rotor to be re used mark hub or best is to clean both the inside of rotor and the hub with die grinder and buffing pads .. I have notice that Yaris likes to eat the inner pads a lot if not maintain

I agree!! Besides, the cost to turn the rotors can be 50% of the cost to replace them with new!!!

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:58 PM   #6
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
The problem I have with most cheapie replacement rotors is the quality of the steel/iron, they start rusting & pitting too soon.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

By Toyota rotors they are really not much more and last a long time with rotors as old as urs ur best to replace also u can paint the centre with rust paint ...I find key to long lasting brakes is maintenance , keep it clean also drive the car don't be to easy on them ....I have put around 50,000km on mine with new pads and they still look new pads wear even that is do to maintenance specially after winter ...worse thing u can do is have sleazed pads riding ur rotor .

Old 04-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
theb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
You gone need new rotors and pads also clean out the sliders and slider pins/ booties use silicone base grease on sliders and pins ...less is more , u will need 17 and a 14 size wrench and also channel locks to push in the piston back in order for the new pads to fit also make sure the dust ring around piston is pushed back with it..get air out or it will rip, also air out of the booties on the sliding pins. Plus remove the rubber insert on lower pin cos it nothing but a problem lol
Make sure u clean off any rust build up on calliper sliders under the shims too and ur good to go.

What do you mean by “get air out or it will rip”, how do I do that? Somebody suggested that it’s ok just to push the piston slowly as the fluid will travel back?

Also how important is to use a torque wrench? Will it be ok just to tighten it the normal way?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #9
theb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
if you take the rotors off, mark their position in relations to the hub as to be sure they go back on the way they came off and prevent any possible issues with the mating surfaces.

Resurfacing the rotors depends on the condition, given that you went 106k on them probably means that they could use some fleshing up as long as they are not too wore down to be resurfaced. if the rotors are have waves or rings on them, then resurface.

As long as you don't open a line in the brake system, you should be fine, the fluid in the caliper will go back into the system when you press the piston back into it.

If after you drive the brakes pulsate and you didn't resurface the rotors then the rotors need to be put on the brake lathe and corrected for wobble.
Allot of them have suggested to bleed the brake fluid in order to prevent any damages. Is this really necessary or I should be fine with your advise?

I’m going to put new rotors, do I need to clean or maybe put any lubricants on the surface where new rotor will be sitting at?

When putting new rotor how important is to centre those 4 bolts that go inside the rotor’s holes? If i just slide the rotors on will they be rotating ok?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
Exiwolfman

I'm talking about the slider pon boots and the seal around piston when u push it back in some times the dust seal will have air trapped and if u place ur pads back in and against it will rip ...as for bleeding breakers u can but not necessary but always a good idea also make sure u adjust the rear pads will make for a sold pedal feel

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #11
Exiwolfman

Pin boots*

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk