Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
liquid wax vs paint sealant???

i really havent detailed my ride but now im running into paint sealant or liquid waxes... do i use both or one or the other?? anyone..

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Wax does not last as long as sealant. Recommend a good wash, clay, and polish to prep surface and then choose which you want. Duragloss makes a great sealant and is available at most CarQuest places at a very reasonable price. Is what I use except for the wheels and for those I just use NXT2.0 which is also a sealant.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
yaris 2sz
www.yarisclub.gr

Drives: yaris 1.3 2sz - 1.33 1nr
wash
polish
wax
sealant
yaris 2sz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
bobolinko
Bob

Drives: Yaris and Scion XD 5 spd BSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris 2sz View Post
wash
polish
wax
sealant
Sorry....

I've learnt it as Wash, Seal, Wax.... Works Really Great for me.
I Seal every 6 months. otherwise it's wash, wax... enjoy the looks!

Wax only lasts a short while but sealant lasts longer, so why would you want the base to fail before the topping? Just my 2 cents....
bobolinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

i thought its

wash
clay
seal
wax....

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
Old 07-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
seal
wash
wax
clay
sand
primer
sand
paint
sand
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Got this off Autogeek.net They sell quite a variety of products, i've actually ordered a porter cable variable speed polisher from these guys, and a few other products.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
marcus
toyota

ahhh forget it im going back to just washing the car.......lol

Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
sg11

Drives: 2010 Liftback
I just use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer. I use two buckets, one for clean water and one for dirty. I use Meguiars Deep Crystal car wash and a soft microfiber towel to wash with. I use two soft waffle weave microfiber towels to dry with and I use the Quik Detailer while Im drying so I dont mar the finish. Wash and dry in the shade. I do this every once in a while, it takes me a very short time, I dont have any swirls,the pearl in my paint pops,water beads for a long time and I dont worry about which glaze, sealant, polish or wax to use or in which step to use them which gives me more time to enjoy my car and other things. Oh and I wash my towels with All Free Clear and dry them on low heat with no fabric softner. Hope this helps.

Last edited by sg11; 07-16-2011 at 07:23 PM.
sg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg11 View Post
I just use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer. I use two buckets, one for clean water and one for dirty. I use Meguiars Deep Crystal car wash and a soft microfiber towel to wash with. I use two soft waffle weave microfiber towels to dry with and I use the Quik Detailer while Im drying so I dont mar the finish. Wash and dry in the shade. I do this every once in a while, it takes me a very short time, I dont have any swirls,the pearl in my paint pops,water beads for a long time and I dont worry about which glaze, sealant, polish or wax to use or in which step to use them which gives me more time to enjoy my car and other things. Oh and I wash my towels with All Free Clear and dry them on low heat with no fabric softner. Hope this helps.
ok im back in.....lol

Old 07-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Just wanted to share one of my videos. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OEcsZSFU3s
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

That was the only time I ever polished my car, aside from that, it's just washing and waxing with the occasional clay bar. No swirls on my paint and I've had the car since October 2006.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:32 PM   #13
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Just wanted to share one of my videos. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OEcsZSFU3s
so whats your steps... and how long did it last??

Old 07-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Some pics of the condition of my paint (pics go from 04-16-10 to 06-15-11)

First coat of wax from the video I posted:

Old 07-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
marcus
toyota

nice ..very clean,,,,,

Old 07-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
so whats your steps... and how long did it last??
My steps are:

-Wash (I used only Meguiar's stuff, either Gold Class wash, Ultimate Wash & Wax, or their NXT Wash). I wash a panel at a time, and wash my wash mitt in between (so think of it like the two bucket system, but only I have more pressure to blast off any dirt, which I like better than the two bucket system) and keep the entire car wet in between panels to prevent hard water spots.
-Water dry
-Dry with the Absorber (dedicated one for the body and one for the rims). I use Ultimate Quik Detail if I'm just doing a simple wash and/or wax detail. Otherwise, proceed to the next step
-Clay bar if I feel the need to. Meguiar's clay bar kit.
-Wax. Applied with Meguiar's foam applicator pad using Gold Class Wax (NXT 2.0 [more of a sealant]) doesn't look nice on my paint color). Removed with a microfiber. If applying more than one coat, wait at least an hour in between coats. Do NOT wax in circles, wax in linear lines.
-rinse with water to depolarize the body.
-Water dry
-Dry with Ultimate Quik Detail and Absorber.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
nice ..very clean,,,,,
Thanks.

Oh, and it's lasted longer than I expected since GC wax isn't very durable. I waxed it (just one layer) before those night pics I posted. The last time before that was the video I posted (pics with the wax on), and it was still beading water easily. You can use the Ultimate Wash and Wax to strengthen the existing wax on the car. It itself does not add any wax.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:48 PM   #18
Kaotic Lazagna

Oh, and since I'm very meticulous with my car, a simple wash (nothing else) takes me 1-2 hours. Tack on another 1-1.5 hours if I'm waxing. A complete job like what I did on the video took 8 hours (I took lots of breaks because it was HOT and I kept on getting dehydrated, lol, so I would say 1-2 hours worth of idle down time).

I do everything by hand as well.