Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
digitalrain

Drives: 2011 yaris rs
Protection packages for a new car

I'm trying to get a new 2011, keeping my fingers crossed it comes through. In the mean time while waiting, the dealership asked me if I want to protect my car with various car care packages. A friend says it's a rip off but you do want to get some of these things done. Just not at the dealership cuz they send it out and charge extra.

These are some of the packages: What is your opinion?

1: Undercoating rust perforation for under the car and behind body panels. Cost about 299$ at the dealership. protects against rust and also quietens the car from road noise...

2: Fabric protection(Lusterglaze) they have some kind of coating that makes stains easier to get out. Something like scotchguard perhaps? $299

3: UV/ paint protection(Lusterglaze) .protects against fading by UV damage from the sun. They say it's really important for red cars... $299

4: One more I can't remember now but also $299.

The total package can be done for $900

I've always had the protection package done but I was getting it at cost before. Any thoughts on what you've done and liked or perhaps regretted?

TIA
digitalrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
Only thing i would do is the undercoating.

The fabric protector is a 5 dollar can of Scotch Guard

The UV protection for the paint is just a bulk buy, easy on and off wax. Will come off the car within 3-4 months.
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Yup, the undercoating would be worthwhile. Especially if where you live, cars tend to rust. The rest, not so much.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
digitalrain

I'm good with going with the undercoating, it's mostly rain around these parts in the winter. Sometimes we get spells of around freezing level and have sand/salt on the roads. I don't see many cars with serious rust out issues but I like the fact that it also lends some sound deadening qualities.

I was hoping to Scotchguard it as well. I looked up Lusterglaze and it says the fabric protector is 80 bucks for a gallon jug. It's way pricier than I guessed it would be. Maybe I can go to a car seat repair place and see if they do the fabric protector if the spray can isn't up to a long lasting job.

The Lusterglaze for paint protecting is much cheaper Only around 20$, not sure if only one can is needed or if you need different steps in the final process.

I tried to spend some time in this forum to see what others have done before but there's not to much dedicated to this ...

Thanks for your viewpoints
Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
digitalrain

Just picked up my new Yaris RS. It's black sand pearl and I've just done a paint seal on it myself.

I would highly recommend Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant to anyone for the paint. Just clay bar it first then apply the sealant after. It's super easy to put on then wipe off. Very slippery finish to it. Shines nice too.

The detailer said this is better for a "pearl" finish than the Werkstat sealants. The pearl kills the depth of the shine with other products. I have to say that it does look great so far.

He also said he doesn't sell or do seat upholstery protecting. The stuff he has is too expesnsive and you can do it yourself basically with a can of Scotchguard, I'll try it out next weekend.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:36 PM   #6
pontingroy

Drives: good
Protection packages for a new car

A manufacturer's service contract does not indicate what to do as modern cars are subjected to very sophisticated paint treatments and drilling before leaving the factory. These treatments are the reason manufacturers are able to offer guarantees of up to ten years in the vehicle body.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
digitalrain

Had a chance to apply some Scotchguard to the seats/floor. Used a couple of cans. Gonna let it dry and cure then try pouring some water on it next weekend. Loving the Menzerna seal on the paint. Took a long highway drive then washed the sundried bugs off , came off very easy with the sealant on.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
digitalrain

Well got the 3rd leg of the protection packages. Undercoating done yesterday. I'm surprised not to hear of more Yarisworld people getting undercoating done, it seems to be talked a lot more by Fit owners. Been a few years since being in the passenger seat of the Fit but the road noise seems similar if I recall right.

One interesting thing is that the undercoating is "water based" not solvent based. The owner said he's the only one doing it locally, but he expects it to be the norm in 10 years.

I was amazed that the undercoating had absolutely no "tar" smell at all despite standing beside the guy as he undercoated my car. I remember doing undercoating for about a year and the fumes were significant.

Anyone out there had water based undercoating? Any issues with the wearability? The owner said the water based doesn't glop off like the solvent based undercoating...

The overspray came off easy as well , just a wet cloth and moderate pressure took off the light film.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
The uv coating is just a cheap wax. Had a friend who worked at a dealer and he said it was just a sham. The price they charged varied from customer. Pretty much however much they think they could get you to pay. Only thing that might be worthwhile is the undercoating
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #10
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
I've likewise heard that the UV coating is just a wax job. Don't fall for it.

As for the undercoating, I wonder, is there a warranty of how long it'll last? Because these cars have a five year warranty against rust anyway. If the undercoating is only going to last a few years, then it wouldn't be worth getting. That's what I think, anyway. Such a thing might be worth it once the car hits the five year mark, though.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
digitalrain

The UV or paint protection should be more than "cheap wax". It needs to be a polymer sealant for me. Some thing that bonds to the surface. I used NXT 2.0 and was very unsatisfied for a few years. Spent 30$ on it and was looking for a better lasting product for the longest time. Try Menzerna Power Lock polymer sealant(no I don't work for them or own thew company lol). It is just amazing the difference from a cheap wax.

The funny thing is that I found the source of where the local car dealerships send their new cars for the protection packages. They told me a the dealership that they would give me a deal normally 299$ for each of the
1 paint protection
2 upholstery protection
3 rust proofing
4 undercoating

I could get it for the low price of $900. Essentially one of the parts for free.
I said no I would go directly to the place or do it myself. So they went down to $750 and then finally $700 before I told them they have to go down substantially to get me to sign on.

I could have gotten the price of $350 if I did all 4 packages directly with the detailer. I'll probably go and pay it next time. I ended up spending $220 doing the paint(myself) upholstery(myself) and undercoating(detailer). The detailer says the stuff he uses for seat protection is way stronger than the spray on Scotchguard and I believe him. Better to talk to the guy who does the dealership detailing directly and watch them if they let you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
The uv coating is just a cheap wax. Had a friend who worked at a dealer and he said it was just a sham. The price they charged varied from customer. Pretty much however much they think they could get you to pay. Only thing that might be worthwhile is the undercoating
Old 09-14-2011, 12:04 AM   #12
digitalrain

I should have gotten it in writing but the owner said if you ever have a problem with the undercoating bring it back we'll re do it. He wasn't concerned because they just charge the manufacturer of the undercoating. Yeah I wonder about down the road I wonder what others experiences on YW are? My winter conditions are very mild with only occasional sand or salt laid down on the roads. I got the undercoating primarily for sound deadening.

PS if I had young kids I would get the detailers seat protection for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I've likewise heard that the UV coating is just a wax job. Don't fall for it.

As for the undercoating, I wonder, is there a warranty of how long it'll last? Because these cars have a five year warranty against rust anyway. If the undercoating is only going to last a few years, then it wouldn't be worth getting. That's what I think, anyway. Such a thing might be worth it once the car hits the five year mark, though.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #13
Hamster

Once you get this done, you'll can report back to us about how much of an impact the undercoating makes for sound deadening. If it makes a very noticeable difference, I might consider looking into having it done.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #14
digitalrain

Hamster I'll let you know when I get a chance to take a long trip the end of this month. One thing I can say for sure. It doesn't make any noticeable difference in only city driving to my ears. Hope it's better on the freeways...

Quote:
Once you get this done, you'll can report back to us about how much of an impact the undercoating makes for sound deadening. If it makes a very noticeable difference, I might consider looking into having it done.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
Hamster

Darn, too bad it doesn't seem to make a difference on city streets. There are some pretty bumpy side streets around where I live!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
digitalrain

There was another guy that said it did help with quieting down his ride. I think he said there was rocks or gravel on his raods. If I see his post again I'll write down the user name for you.

Quote:
Darn, too bad it doesn't seem to make a difference on city streets. There are some pretty bumpy side streets around where I live!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #17
Hamster

Thanks! It'd be great to see what other's have experienced in terms of sound deadening.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 PM   #18
digitalrain

Found him Hamster. Try PM ing henrylee from this thread. He seems satisfied with the undercoating I think his is solvent based, maybe from a spray can.

http://yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36380