Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Drives: Yaris 2007
Fix or sell?

Hey guys! I've got involved in a car accident and need to decide whether to repair my Yaris or sell it. The problem is that I've been quoted $1700 to put it back to its original condition (only for quater panel since I've already payed for other repairs), which obviously is a lot of money for such a cheap car. So my dilemma is quite simple: fix it up and keep it until it dies or sell it right away so someone with tools and skills could fix it for much cheaper? Or just ignore the damage and keep driving since I don't really care about appearance (as long as it's clean).
The reason I would hate to sell my Yaris is that I take a good care of it and it serves me accordingly without any problems so far, even though there are 86000 miles on the odometer.
So, ladies and gentlemen, what would you do in my situation? Thanks for taking your time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0017-001.jpg (33.1 KB, 215 views)
Perpetuous_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
If everything is aligned, no frame damage, and still runs well - keep it and drive
it into the ground. The amount you save driving your current vehicle versus selling/
trading it in for another vehicle will benefit you in the end.

*but the rear axle does look a little crooked...
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I think you need to go somewhere else and get another estimate. I can't believe that is only $1700 worth of damage. I am guessing you were rear ended? Then for the outer sheet metal to buckle like that I would expect the frame was bent...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Foot

Drives: 2010 3dr yaris
IT appears that the rear wheel is going to hit the bummer as you drive and hit any bumps. 1700 dollars does seem cheap to repair this damage. If it drives and you do not care how it looks... Keep driving.
Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
If everything is aligned, no frame damage, and still runs well - keep it and drive
it into the ground. The amount you save driving your current vehicle versus selling/
trading it in for another vehicle will benefit you in the end.

*but the rear axle does look a little crooked...
Thanks for advice, Yarisugi! Everything is aligned and there is no frame damage, and you are right - I had to replace rear axle beam, shock and rim, so now it drives like new.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
I think you need to go somewhere else and get another estimate. I can't believe that is only $1700 worth of damage. I am guessing you were rear ended? Then for the outer sheet metal to buckle like that I would expect the frame was bent...
The estimate is only relevant to the body damage. I've already spent $1000 on other parts, so this is the only thing that needs repairs. You are probably right regarding the worth of damage, I was given another quote ($2700) for an insurance purpose in case they acknowledge that the accident was another driver's fault. So, to make things more clear: the first scenario is my out of pocket money and the second one is an insurance company's headache, but because the case is under investigation I take into consideration all possible scenarios.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot View Post
IT appears that the rear wheel is going to hit the bummer as you drive and hit any bumps. 1700 dollars does seem cheap to repair this damage. If it drives and you do not care how it looks... Keep driving.
Thanks, Foot! The rear wheel is already fixed
Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
why not drive it as is and take a weekend and try to beat it out/smooth it out the best you can. It would also give you a little experience in body work. if it isn't perfect, oh well.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
why not drive it as is and take a weekend and try to beat it out/smooth it out the best you can. It would also give you a little experience in body work. if it isn't perfect, oh well.
Oh, thanks for suggestion, BEEF! I would be glad to give it a try, but unfortunately I don't have a garage
Do you think it is possible to smooth it out and probably paint it over without replacing the entire quarter panel?
Old 04-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #10
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
You could drill some holes, hit it with a slide hammer, bondo over the thing and paint with duplicolor. it probably won't be perfect but most of us drive 20 foot cars (looks good from 20 feet away).

I have a cavalier that took a deer a few years ago. she is at 250,000 miles and still ticking (literally, has a tick).
Old 04-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Well if you factor if your alternative is to go out and buy a new car your going to pay several thousand in taxes soon as you buy it anyways, also its higher insurance higher registration fees etc, It really is more cost effective to repair your current vehicle and keep driving it its already been proven that the yaris can go several hundred thousand miles pretty problem free. Your car is already paid off i would assume so there is no longer a monthly cost. The average car payment is around 300 so lets say you fix your car and drive it only a year you would have saved 3600 in car payments if you drive it 2 years and sell it you saved 7200 not to mention possible 2 thousand in sales tax so its still a win win.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
You could drill some holes, hit it with a slide hammer, bondo over the thing and paint with duplicolor. it probably won't be perfect but most of us drive 20 foot cars (looks good from 20 feet away).

I have a cavalier that took a deer a few years ago. she is at 250,000 miles and still ticking (literally, has a tick).
Sounds pretty cool! If nothing works out for me, I'll definitely follow your advice. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
Perpetuous_Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Well if you factor if your alternative is to go out and buy a new car your going to pay several thousand in taxes soon as you buy it anyways, also its higher insurance higher registration fees etc, It really is more cost effective to repair your current vehicle and keep driving it its already been proven that the yaris can go several hundred thousand miles pretty problem free. Your car is already paid off i would assume so there is no longer a monthly cost. The average car payment is around 300 so lets say you fix your car and drive it only a year you would have saved 3600 in car payments if you drive it 2 years and sell it you saved 7200 not to mention possible 2 thousand in sales tax so its still a win win.
This is what bothers me! Making monthly payments is not in my best interest since I'm a student and don't really want to spend extra money on such toys. The car has been been paid off long time ago, and like many Yaris owners here, I'm used to not have any payments at all (beside routine maintenance expenses).
I agree with you, YarisSedan, even though the upfront costs are relatively high, it is more financially efficient to get the car fixed instead of throwing money on a new car. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
have it repaired for cheap then use it until it dies. your original idea is right, since you dont care about looks. so have it done for bodywork (very cheap) then paint it on your own.

the cheap bodywork will get rust after many years, by then you probably couldnt care less about your yaris. even better, someone might rear hit you in that area again, then you could have a real job done for it (if his insurance pays for it).

oh btw, the story's a little different if insurance finds youre not at fault. if so, i would suggest have it restored very carefully...then use it until it dies. :)
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #15
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Drive, baby, drive!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Usually any good body shop too after the work is done its polished and detailed the entire car so when you pick it up it will feel like a brand new car again.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Usually any good body shop too after the work is done its polished and detailed the entire car so when you pick it up it will feel like a brand new car again.
Yes thats true. The shop even got the marks/stains out of the plastic panels on the drivers door!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #18
B2FiNiTY

Drives: Prius C
since the car is paid off and drives well, keep it since you don't want to be spending money.

if you wanna take it to the next step, keep it like that, and fix it one day if you decide to sell the car or never fix it at all. you never know, maybe one day, someone will hit your car in the same spot.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote