Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #37
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
So Toyota is NOT going to fix this airbag issue if you have a certain amount of mileage??
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #38
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
nook,
I hear ya about the government on steroids comment. It's amazing
what The State will do to maintain the status quo. I'm not optimistic
about the future.....
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #39
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
So Toyota is NOT going to fix this airbag issue if you have a certain amount of mileage??
As Mazilla mentioned in post #18, some recalls have been capped at 100k miles. The L.A. Times article included in a later post doesn't indicate (unless I missed it) one way or the other.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #40
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjazz View Post
nook,
I hear ya about the government on steroids comment. It's amazing
what The State will do to maintain the status quo. I'm not optimistic
about the future.....
It leaves me SMH that Texas is not immune to state and city workers who are supposed to be serving the public as efficiently as possible, but instead look for ways to keep 'feeding the beast' (financially) and justify their existence, or at least the extent of their existence. I could go on and on about how this is exponentially worse in California...but I won't. I don't want to raise my blood pressure . Federal civliian employees, as I understaned it, are a different animal...same or similarly codified in each state . The one exception , IMO, is the Military....including those who have served and now work in other parts of the government. IMO, they don't get enough respect, and some vets don't get classified properly (gee, I wonder why ) and are, IMO, thus cheated out of benefits.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #41
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I've never heard of the 100k cap. I had over 100k when the recall on the foam near the side airbags letter was sent to me. It would be stupid for Toyota to let people get hurt for driving over 100k in their cars as toyotas last so long.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #42
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
I've never heard of the 100k cap. I had over 100k when the recall on the foam near the side airbags letter was sent to me. It would be stupid for Toyota to let people get hurt for driving over 100k in their cars as toyotas last so long.
Good, I hope that is the case! Have you heard anything re when dealers will be ready to perform the recall repairs? (Or would they not announce this unless dealers were already ready ?).
Old 04-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #43
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/10/pf/a...oyota-recalls/
Old 04-10-2014, 01:46 AM   #44
frambach

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Would my local stealership give me the necessary parts & let me replace them?

I'd rather not have my car tied up with them. Not to mention, I'm comfortable doing my own work.
frambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:33 AM   #45
aussie muzza

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan YRS auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Good, I hope that is the case! Have you heard anything re when dealers will be ready to perform the recall repairs? (Or would they not announce this unless dealers were already ready ?).
The recall was publicized on Australian TV tonight. They did say that letters will be sent out to affected owners when the necessary work methods have been developed.
Muz
aussie muzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #46
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Recalls never have a mileage cap.

Warranty extensions, as we've recently had with the A-arm bolt, do have age/mileage caps.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #47
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killchain View Post
Thanks. Nice...Yaris is one of only three with the steering bracket issue .
Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #48
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muzza View Post
The recall was publicized on Australian TV tonight. They did say that letters will be sent out to affected owners when the necessary work methods have been developed.
Muz
Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #49
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Recalls never have a mileage cap.

Warranty extensions, as we've recently had with the A-arm bolt, do have age/mileage caps.
Important distinction, good to know.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:49 PM   #50
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by frambach View Post
Would my local stealership give me the necessary parts & let me replace them?

I'd rather not have my car tied up with them. Not to mention, I'm comfortable doing my own work.
Nope. No recall will ever just net you the parts to install where you want afaik. I did run into a case once with my teruel back in the day for transmission seals and there wasn't a local dealer within 100 miles so Toyota worked with a Toyota certified local mechanic to install.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:23 PM   #51
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Thanks. Nice...Yaris is one of only three with the steering bracket issue .
This was bothering me. I want to make sure I'm notified (or can get the info from the dealer) as soon as they are ready to do the repairs for this recall. Since I bought my Yaris in Rhode Island (while on a trip), I was worried that Toyota corporate might not have my current address. I decided to drive over to the nearest Toyota dealership and ask one of the guys at the service desk. My trip included a fun surprise. I was sitting at the traffic light closest to my house, waiting in the first position in the right turn lane for the left turn lane (with an arrow signal) directly opposite me to clear. I heard a growl, and the last car came through before the light turned red. I said to myself 'that has to be the newest Lamborghini'. He got in the right turn lane at the next light, and I got right behind him. I came to a stop and immediately began fumbling in my pocket for my one phone I knew I had with me. I had the phone turned off. Before I could boot to the camera, we both had turned and he sped away in the fast lane (the road we turned onto is two lanes in each direction). I keep my Fuji S8200 in the upper passenger glove compartment (buffeted by a stack of McDonalds napkins, so that it doesn't move around ), for surprises like this. However, I had checked the rechargeable batteries a day earlier (dead), and I hadn't yet recharged them. The car was a Lamborghini Aventador. He gunned the engine a couple of times while I was stopped behind him. Beautiful Music.

I continued to the Toyota dealership, and l learned something new (to me). The service writer told me I don't have to worry re being notified. He said Toyota will access CURRENT registration data for all affected vehicles and mail the notices accordingly. He said "Toyota can find anyone". It sounded as though the notices will not be mailed expeditiously.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #52
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Nook , we do the same thing with our camera in the glove box of the sedan . Lays in a blanket of napkins , thanks to B.K.. Rechargeable batteries don't last long , better with alkaline . I think there's a setting on the camera for alkaline or other types .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:43 AM   #53
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Nook , we do the same thing with our camera in the glove box of the sedan . Lays in a blanket of napkins , thanks to B.K.. Rechargeable batteries don't last long , better with alkaline . I think there's a setting on the camera for alkaline or other types .
LOL. Too funny. Great minds think alike . I had taken most things I carry with me out of my Yaris because I thought I was going to have to load my electric mower into the car to take it back to Lowe's. They would give me a new one (re inexpensive extended warranty....I decided to try an electric mower re safer to store in the garage...and my next door neighbor loves his electric mower). I decided to try starting the mower one last time before loading up and heading to Lowe's. It started . I still haven't put the stuff I took out back in my Yaris . This includes a spare set of alkaline batteries ..my bad. Although if the batteries were in the car, but not in the camera, that wouldn't have helped in this particular situation. You're right, the Fujji does have an adjustable setting for battery type. I'm attuned to having the camera secured and also easily accessible re incidents with two past devices. Having a Canon Power Shot S3 IS fly off the passenger seat re having to brake unexpectedly a few times...the last times it wouldn't turn on again and wasn't worth fixing. The other device was an old MacBook Pro...same thing....the one time it wasn't secured. Casuallty = the light died for the screen in the lid, I assume upon impact.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #54
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Would they have to remove part of the dash to get to the frayed wires of the air bag ? Such as the center display , etc..
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote