Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Electrical Gremlin

For some reason, every now and then, the radio cuts out when I brake or signal. Also the fuel/odometer gauge kind of flickers when the car is running.

Alternator output was around 13 volts, no noticeable out electrical issues. all though i'm pretty sure my exhaust is lose and keeps hitting the undercarriage on acceleration and deceleration.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Do you have an OEM or aftermarket radio and have you done any under-dash wiring work?

And, 13V is low for alternator output. It should be in the 13.5 to 14.1 volt range with the engine running.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

the only electrical things that are not EOM are the fog lights, grounding kit, and scan gauge.

Today on the way back from the doctor the car completely shut off electrically and stalled.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Old 04-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
the only electrical things that are not EOM are the fog lights, grounding kit, and scan gauge.

Today on the way back from the doctor the car completely shut off electrically and stalled.
OK. That really sounds like the alternator is bad or the battery has a bad cell and is pulling the alternator down.
Old 04-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

alternator out put reading from the OBDII/Scangauge was 13.7, and the battery isn't very old It is only about a year old, but I guess I will test it, and make sure the connections are good.

It hadn't done anything like this since i had a short in the column from the fog light kit.

I did take the Battery out Wednesday to get to that tranny mount and tighten it up, makes me think that It might be making a poor connection at the battery some how.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Reminds me of a problem my dad's duster used to have. stupid insane electrical issues used to happen to him, the best one was one time on the highway the car just flat out stalled, the person in the passenger side opened the door and it started right back up. Turned out to be two stripped wires were crossing.

Just check all the wiring, it is probably something that will be obvious with a visual inspection.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
alternator out put reading from the OBDII/Scangauge was 13.7, and the battery isn't very old It is only about a year old, but I guess I will test it, and make sure the connections are good.

It hadn't done anything like this since i had a short in the column from the fog light kit.

I did take the Battery out Wednesday to get to that tranny mount and tighten it up, makes me think that It might be making a poor connection at the battery some how.

13.6 is OK, so it very well may be the battery connection.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
the best one was one time on the highway the car just flat out stalled, the person in the passenger side opened the door and it started right back up.
One of those things (re anyone) that could only really have happened .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote