Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-30-2014, 04:31 AM   #1
jeremyth

Drives: 2002 Yaris Verso
Will the transmissions match?

Hi all! The automatic transmission of my 2002 Yaris Verso is failing. It drives forward with the overdrive disabled (can't remember if that means button is pressed or released), reverse doesn't work with or without overdrive disabled.
Toyota dealership mechanics here in Helsinki ruled out electrical or computer issues - it seems clear that it's more to do with major problems in the transmission.

So I have found today a "2001 Yaris Verso Luna 5D A", also automatic and right-side steering, that is for sale pretty cheap - far cheaper than a new transmission! I could get it for the transmission - though with 292,000 km, who knows how long it would last.

My question is: will the transmission from the 2001 Yaris Verso work in the 2002 I have? And what does 'Luna' mean?

Thank you, Yaris people! I have been quite happy with this car so far, though the 1.3L engine is kind of under-powered.
jeremyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
That's a tough question. Even if they have the "same" engine and transmission, there can be significant differences between them. The quick answer is "maybe?" The long answer is still "maybe", but has a lot of explanation.

Looking at toyodiy.com, they both have a U441E transmission, but it is available with the shifter on the steering column or the floor. That could mean strange differences in the shifter cable. You could also look around on ebay for pictures of gearboxes and try and identify any critical differences. The most important would be mounting points and starter position, followed by shift cable attachment. The only way to know for sure is to put them side by side and check.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The Toyota parts catalog shows the same part number for the transmission assembly as being applicable to both the 2001 and 2002 Yaris Verso. Luna is a feature package for the car. The Verso is listed as having been available in standard, Luna, and Sol grades.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #4
jeremyth

Drives: 2002 Yaris Verso
Automatic to manual transmission switch?

Thanks very much for your help so far - this forum thing really works!

I am also thinking to replace the automatic transmission with a manual one. I know that would be more complicated - but how much more? I feel confident I could replace the automatic with an automatic - but putting in a manual is surely much more challenging. It's right-side steering as well, which will probably make a difference. Anyone done this before?
jeremyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyth View Post
Thanks very much for your help so far - this forum thing really works!

I am also thinking to replace the automatic transmission with a manual one. I know that would be more complicated - but how much more? I feel confident I could replace the automatic with an automatic - but putting in a manual is surely much more challenging. It's right-side steering as well, which will probably make a difference. Anyone done this before?
I have done the opposite - Replacing a manual with an auto. You end up needing quite a few parts. My for sale thread for a 2nd gen conversion kit gives you an idea of what is required:
www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49003

Tags
luna, mechanical question, transmission, yaris verso