Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-11-2016, 04:30 AM   #1
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
5 things you shouldn't do to a manual Trans

Engineering Explained just released this video yesterday..
I really enjoy watching this guy. Super smart and easy to follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cbZlhduYJY
Old 02-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
And the five things are?
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
What about the most obvious one of don't shift gears without first disengaging the clutch.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
I'm actually surprized that a lot of people don't know about starting up steep hills and ramps using the handbrake.

I know about that technique, use it a lot of times, and i don't even drive manual stick.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
ilikerice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
And the five things are?
Doesn't look like the link is broken..
Old 02-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
Doesn't look like the link is broken..
I don't do clickbait. If you have something to say, say it. Don't post clickbait style titles with links to elsewhere. Five things you should never do to your manual transmission. #5 will surprise you!
Old 02-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Quote:
I don't do clickbait. If you have something to say, say it. Don't post clickbait style titles with links to elsewhere. Five things you should never do to your manual transmission. #5 will surprise you!
Oh my... When did people become such princesses? Click on the link or dont. Either way, no one cares about your clickbate dilemma.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #8
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
I'm actually surprized that a lot of people don't know about starting up steep hills and ramps using the handbrake.

I know about that technique, use it a lot of times, and i don't even drive manual stick.
It's part of the licence test here, It doesn't matter if your car has manual or Auto transmission, or even with "hill hold", you still have to do this as part of the test.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:25 PM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
Oh my... When did people become such princesses? Click on the link or dont. Either way, no one cares about your clickbate dilemma.

I'm sorry to take it further off topic and I respect you both, but I must note that the guy from "Tronto", the land of "I'm sorry", calling the guy from Dallas Texas a princess is priceless!
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #10
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
^Great save! This dysfunctional forum just got interesting again.

But on a serious note, I actually did have the bad habit of resting my hand on the shifter on the old Yaris, but fortunately no noticeable wear within the gearbox as a result. An armrest has helped plenty in the xD in more ways than one it seems.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #11
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
But on a serious note, I actually did have the bad habit of resting my hand on the shifter on the old Yaris
Even the manual for the O.G. air-cooled Beetle said not to do that.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #12
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Thanks for sharing this video. All very good reminders. I love YouTube.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I'm sorry to take it further off topic and I respect you both, but I must note that the guy from "Tronto", the land of "I'm sorry", calling the guy from Dallas Texas a princess is priceless!
Lol, i like how you started off with "I'm sorry" and then made fun of Toronto for being the land of I'm sorry. We don't say sorry in Toronto, we say you are welcome.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #14
ilikerice

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, where did you see "#5 will surprise you" at?

I even wrote a small into to the video before clicking on it and who posted it. You actually think I would spend time to type in all that just to get someone to click on something?
Old 02-14-2016, 12:27 PM   #15
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
Lol, i like how you started off with "I'm sorry" and then made fun of Toronto for being the land of I'm sorry. We don't say sorry in Toronto, we say you are welcome.
I know! Haha, I thought the exact same thing after posting lmao.

I work with a couple folks from Canada, one from Tronto, and they both say I'm sorry 15 times a conversation. I dig it;. I'm all about the politeness.

You welcome is good too.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:34 PM   #16
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
The original clutch in my 2000 Accord was still working fine at 200K when I sold it, even though I always left it in first gear and clutch depressed at every stoplight/etc over 15 years of driving. I guess that I had a really well-built clutch in that car.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote