Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #19
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Americans pay some of the lowest prices in the world for gas. We have the widest roads. Cars are among the lowest priced here. Americans like to carry lots of stuff, and go on road trips.
All that was true 30 years ago as well and our cars and trucks were significantly smaller then.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:53 PM   #20
NYC-SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
This is a neat little car: the Kia Venga. Available in Europe, but of course we can't get it here in the US.
I got to ride in one of these when I was in Europe last year. Nice car. Bigger on the inside than you would think from looking at it. (Same can be said for the Yaris). I would consider it if it made it to the States but we all know that's not going to happen.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:54 PM   #21
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Mitsubishi Mirage DEs' w/ 5 speed manual are going for less than $10,000 . $3,500 rebate . Tempting , but book value plummets .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:59 AM   #22
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
All that was true 30 years ago as well and our cars and trucks were significantly smaller then.
For the period of the '80s and '90's and into the earlier 2000's, perhaps. What about all the decades previous? Remember the land yachts that used to cover our roads? These cars were significantly bigger than today's full size cars. Back then, the only real successful small car was the VW Beetle.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #23
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Mitsubishi Mirage DEs' w/ 5 speed manual are going for less than $10,000 . $3,500 rebate . Tempting , but book value plummets .
The Mirage is so bad, it shouldn't even be sold in the US. It's 3rd world material. It's the worst car sold in the US. Not nearly worth it's low price. Mitsubishi is on it's way to dying. They can no longer compete. You could get a far better Nissan Versa for nearly the same price.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #24
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
The Mirage is so bad, it shouldn't even be sold in the US. It's 3rd world material. It's the worst car sold in the US. Not nearly worth it's low price. Mitsubishi is on it's way to dying. They can no longer compete. You could get a far better Nissan Versa for nearly the same price.
I'm not a fan of the styling, but Nissan must be doing something right, considering how many Versa's they sell monthly in the USA compared to other available subcompacts.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:36 PM   #25
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
I would really like Toyota to bring the Aygo to America. That little car is funky.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #26
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
The newest Aygo is rather "funky" looking... kind of a blending of Yaris, Nissan Leaf, and Kia Soul.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #27
NYC-SE

Quote:
The newest Aygo is rather "funky" looking... kind of a blending of Yaris, Nissan Leaf, and Kia Soul.
Yeah...I liked the previous generation better. (As far as looks go. I've never driven one.)
Old 03-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #28
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
While it might be Spartan, it's also selling well for Mitsubishi. And while Mitsu sales are pretty low compared to other automakers, I don't see them leaving the U.S.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:08 PM   #29
Kalispel

Quote:
Not a fan of the taillights, but everything else I could deal with if the car was black (or perhaps dark gray) - though that car is about a small I would ever go with a vehicle. I wish Toyota would have brought that here instead of the IQ.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #30
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
While it might be Spartan, it's also selling well for Mitsubishi. And while Mitsu sales are pretty low compared to other automakers, I don't see them leaving the U.S.
I don't get the hate for the Mirage. It is what is. It's similar to a Ford Festiva and Geo Metro from the 90s. Both of those cars were good cars. My first new car was a 91 Ford Festiva. All Mazda made and put together by an unknown company called Kia. Then shipped over to the US for sale. The car was bulletproof. I still see them and a few Metros on the road 25 yrs later. And brand new they were around $5k. That's pretty good that they are still kicking ass 25 yrs later. So I appreciate the Mirage for the simplicity that it offers. Nothing wrong with that at all.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #31
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I looked a the Mirage a couple of years ago. Yes it is what it is and thats a very poorly made car compared with the Yaris. Hey it might hold up OK. Im really leery of the CVT in it. LOVE the 1200cc engine!

My evaluation is a used Yaris would be a better bet than the Mirage. I paid $10,000 after tax for a Toyota certified used Yaris for my son two years ago with 50k on it. A little pricey but Toyota went thru it and replaced the battery, tires, wipers etc and guaranteed it for a year. Boy that car looked like new! Would have preferred a private sale but there wasnt time to wait for the right car.

There was the Subaru Justy along with the Metro and Festiva back in the day. All worthy vehicles. My gut says the Mirage is a cut below those though...
Old 03-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #32
Thirty-Nine

I agree that a used Yaris is likely a better deal than the Mirage. I can only imagine the depreciation on a new Mirage. That being said, a lot of buyers want a warranty, and the Mirage has a damn good one. 5 year/60,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty, 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, 7 year/100,000 mile anti-corrosion warranty. Out of a $12,000 car, that's damn good.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd thought about owning a Mirage. Great mileage, new car, low price, awesome warranty. There's a lot to like. Yes, it's basic, yes it's build quality isn't as good as the Yaris. Yes, the depreciation is terrible. But if you keep cars a long time, depreciation isn't an issue. No, it's not powerful, no it doesn't handle that great, but it's likely the handling can be remedied by the aftermarket.

If I were to buy a Mirage (which I likely won't; I likely won't buy anything to replace the Yaris unless it was totaled), I'd wait for the redesigned '17 model which looks a lot nicer.

2017-Mirage-GT.jpg

(Side note: I've had my Yaris for nearly nine years—the longest I've ever owned a car! Before that, my record was TWO YEARS!)
Old 03-17-2016, 05:24 PM   #33
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
I like that Aygo, I would drive it no problem. Thanks for posting the photos of it. back in the day, there were a bunch of neat small pick-up trucks. They have all gotten SO big, I wouldn't want one. Wish Toyota made a SMALL pick-up still.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #34
Kalispel

Quote:
I agree that a used Yaris is likely a better deal than the Mirage. I can only imagine the depreciation on a new Mirage. That being said, a lot of buyers want a warranty, and the Mirage has a damn good one. 5 year/60,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty, 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, 7 year/100,000 mile anti-corrosion warranty. Out of a $12,000 car, that's damn good.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd thought about owning a Mirage. Great mileage, new car, low price, awesome warranty. There's a lot to like. Yes, it's basic, yes it's build quality isn't as good as the Yaris. Yes, the depreciation is terrible. But if you keep cars a long time, depreciation isn't an issue. No, it's not powerful, no it doesn't handle that great, but it's likely the handling can be remedied by the aftermarket.

If I were to buy a Mirage (which I likely won't; I likely won't buy anything to replace the Yaris unless it was totaled), I'd wait for the redesigned '17 model which looks a lot nicer.

Attachment 56777

(Side note: I've had my Yaris for nearly nine years—the longest I've ever owned a car! Before that, my record was TWO YEARS!)
The 2017 pictured definitely has some Honda styling cues going on there in the front bumper area, though not as extreme. It's better looking than the Fit, that's for sure.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #35
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
The 2017 pictured definitely has some Honda styling cues going on there in the front bumper area, though not as extreme. It's better looking than the Fit, that's for sure.
I couldn't agree more.

It will be interesting to see what Toyota does for '17 with the Yaris hatch. Or perhaps the better question is will Toyota continue to offer the Yaris hatch or simply go with the iA?
Old 03-18-2016, 01:03 PM   #36
Kalispel

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.

It will be interesting to see what Toyota does for '17 with the Yaris hatch. Or perhaps the better question is will Toyota continue to offer the Yaris hatch or simply go with the iA?
True. The Corolla iM hatchback may become the new de-facto compact hatchback for Toytota, especially considering how poor sales are with the Yaris subcompact hatchback.