Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2016, 04:37 PM   #55
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
Not to mention Scion did not make the car look anything like the funky concept, which would have been super easy to make. And the interior was boring and drab. A cool interior is in the new 500s and the Smarts. Even the Toyota Aygo had a better interior than the IQ. Toyota made some critical errors with that car. I was seriously contemplating purchasing one. But for the above reasons anf no manual, I wasn't nearly as interested.
The concept was exactly that, a concept. Very rarely does a production car look anything like a hand-built concept. Aygo and Fiat definitely have a better looking interior but the Fiat had harder plastics than the iQ. The iQ is soft touch, more front mid engine, and the CVT actually isn't as bad as one would expect. Once you realize you can just stick it in "B" and the rpms just sit at 6000rpms through the entire 1/4 mile (if that's how you're measuring). Being short wheelbase at 78.8" it actually handles pretty well once you dump the 175 width tires. The differential and front sway of the car is also in front of the engine and the 1NRFE sits leaning back behind the front strut towers effectively making it front-Mid engine like some odd old Renaults. It also has 7.5 degrees of caster from the factory to boot. Other than a slow power plant (17.4 @ 80mph quarter mile). It's a pretty decent little car that's shorter than the original classic mini, albeit taller.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #56
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugenRep View Post
The concept was exactly that, a concept. Very rarely does a production car look anything like a hand-built concept. Aygo and Fiat definitely have a better looking interior but the Fiat had harder plastics than the iQ. The iQ is soft touch, more front mid engine, and the CVT actually isn't as bad as one would expect. Once you realize you can just stick it in "B" and the rpms just sit at 6000rpms through the entire 1/4 mile (if that's how you're measuring). Being short wheelbase at 78.8" it actually handles pretty well once you dump the 175 width tires. The differential and front sway of the car is also in front of the engine and the 1NRFE sits leaning back behind the front strut towers effectively making it front-Mid engine like some odd old Renaults. It also has 7.5 degrees of caster from the factory to boot. Other than a slow power plant (17.4 @ 80mph quarter mile). It's a pretty decent little car that's shorter than the original classic mini, albeit taller.
I get that BUT the concept IQ was not overly difficult with tons of different curves and huge tires, etc. It had a great design that could have easily been replicated and they offered boring, drab colors. That is why the Spark has sold so well. It offered neat colors and the first generation had a funky little look.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:35 PM   #57
BLKHILLSGUY

I just don't know why Subaru doesn't make the small hatchback Justy again. I always wanted one, but had a Ford Festiva instead. A small hatchback that has AWD is perfect.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:33 PM   #58
aspro

Drives: 2011 Yaris RS 5 door 5 spd
Quote:
I just don't know why Subaru doesn't make the small hatchback Justy again. I always wanted one, but had a Ford Festiva instead. A small hatchback that has AWD is perfect.
Yeah, just like the suzuki sx4. Awd in a small hatch is gold. Too bad the company went belly up. I was waiting for them to join the trend of factory boosted hot hatches but it never happened.

TRD sway bar, h&r coilovers, tanabe strut tower bar, konig feather, bfg sport comp 2, MI intake manifold, aem cai, dc header, trd catback, MI crank pulley, trd short shift kit, phillips hid kit, morimoto led fogs, parrot navi indash, alpine 6.5 speakers, alpine amp, alpine reverse camera, led interior lights, thule roof racks, netz badges...
aspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #59
BLKHILLSGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspro View Post
Yeah, just like the suzuki sx4. Awd in a small hatch is gold. Too bad the company went belly up. I was waiting for them to join the trend of factory boosted hot hatches but it never happened.
I agree. I think my next car is going to be a Subaru as Toyota doesn't offer anything small with AWD. The 17 Impreza is a HUGE step forward. Honda should be a little nervous.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:30 AM   #60
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
YES x 11 billion! I actually do know why they don't make one, at least yet, and that's because they don't need to.

That being said, the Impreza keeps growing and growing. The 2017 Impreza is growing again. At some point, the Impreza will likely be be as big as the Legacy and they'll slot something under it, much like Honda did with the ever-growing Civic (then we got the Fit).

I would buy a small AWD Subaru in a heartbeat. We love our '13 WRX.

FYI, I owned two Suzuki SX4s (a 2009 and 2010). I'd still have the '10 if Suzuki had stayed in the U.S., but was worried about repairs and warranty stuff, whether justified or not. It was a great little AWD rig. Did great in snow and sand, too. I kind of miss it from time to time.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #61
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
I really wish some short wheelbase FR would hit the shoes too. I've always had a soft spot for the Suzuki Cappuccino and would loved to have seen even a slightly bigger one in the US.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote