Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2016, 01:16 AM   #1
john21031

Drives: '10 Fit Sport MT and 2012 Fit
These morons did not debunk any myths about manual transmissions

http://www.cartalk.com/content/today...myths-debunked

Her father was right, and still is right. Manuals get better mileage and are a lot more reliable.

The article is so dumb - they say "some automatics get 7 speeds with infinite number of ratios"...
john21031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:46 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
People who think seven or eight or nine speeds do anything are suckers. All you need is three.
Old 03-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
My new car has a six speed auto. Much fun. Gets the same gas mileage as the six speed manual version. And only slightly worse than the Yaris it replaced.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
People who think seven or eight or nine speeds do anything are suckers. All you need is three.
Ever road a bicycle with a 3 speed hub compared to a 10 spd bike, same goes for cars.
Power can be used more effective and efficient.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #5
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by john21031 View Post
http://www.cartalk.com/content/today...myths-debunked

Her father was right, and still is right. Manuals get better mileage and are a lot more reliable.

The article is so dumb - they say "some automatics get 7 speeds with infinite number of ratios"...
It's called cvt, can have infinite amount of gears based on how the ecu is set up and as for sport mode, it's just a fake gear feel made by ecu...so it feels like there are gears.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:04 AM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Ever road a bicycle with a 3 speed hub compared to a 10 spd bike, same goes for cars.
Power can be used more effective and efficient.

Sure I've ridden across the US ON A 21 speed mountain bike.

On the hills you're in first on downhills you just coast at 40f in any gear you want.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Sure I've ridden across the US ON A 21 speed mountain bike.

On the hills you're in first on downhills you just coast at 40f in any gear you want.
so maybe would should just drive like you bike ..in one gear and in neutral down hills ...and speaking of bikes , I was sponsored by a bike company and bike shop when i used to race Mtn and Road bikes in my early yr's also used a fixie when i worked as a bike courier, now that was all legs lol
Gears and gearing can make or brake it when it comes to over all power management.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
the gearing is not the issue with CVTs and ATs actually, it's the power/efficiency loss during the transfer from Engine to Tranny.
ATs use fluids with gear teeth (efficiency loss on the fluid part) and CVTs use belts with no gear teeth (efficiency loss on the belt). Only Manual trannies use direct metal-metal and with gear teeth.

to paint the picture, exaggerate the results of a biker using a mountain bike with those 2-/4-stroke scooter-like trannies (CVT), he will lose a lot of efficiency with the power he puts out from his legs due to slippage of the belt.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote