Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-17-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Scion's rebranding to Toyota - iA becomes Yaris iA in the US

So the Yaris sedan is back as the iA (Mazda 2 sedan). Weird since a number of markets actually has a unique Yaris sedan but Toyota didn't want to bring it over.

The FR-S becomes the Toyota 86 as it is called in other markets.

The Scion iM becomes the Toyota Corolla iM. This vehicle already has been serving as the Corolla hatchback (or Auris) in other markets.

The new C-HR crossover will be added soon.

The long running tC is being discontinued.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 01:43 AM   #2
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Only thing I'm interested in is maybe the C-HR if it has AWD as an option.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #3
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKHILLSGUY View Post
Only thing I'm interested in is maybe the C-HR if it has AWD as an option.
I hear that it will, but will only be available with a CVT.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
MugenRep
iQ innovator & researcher

Drives: 2012 iQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I hear that it will, but will only be available with a CVT.
Initially I wasn't a big fan of autos or CVTs, but searching around on Minkara and the Euro forums brought up a good point.

No turbo lag with CVTs when shifted into their "B" or engine brake area. Their revs sit at redline under what boost is at that level and doesn't drop, doesn't change, etc. I agree that CVTs are weak though, finicky and expensive to replace but the owner experiences I read and what have you with the CVT in the AURIS 1.2 turbo seems to make sense in theory. You can trudge around in ECO mode with no boost, shift into "B" and instantly be at full boost (albeit low boost or BOOM). Imo, had I never researched it, I'd had through it was a horrible idea to begin with, but I think the theory I've researched makes sense. Just need to add a CVT cooler to the equation and you're good to go with temp at least.
MugenRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
What's up with the HUGE cartoon wheels on the C-HR, lol.

Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:50 PM   #6
Kal-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
What's up with the HUGE cartoon wheels...
That's the concept. Concepts always have huge wheels because it looks better.

Production...

Old 03-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #7
BLKHILLSGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
That's the concept. Concepts always have huge wheels because it looks better.

Production...

I think it looks sharp. If this comes out with AWD I think it could cut into some Subaru sales. Not that it really matters a ton, as Toyota is the largest stakeholder of Subaru at like 17 percent. But I would take this over a Subaru if it had AWD. Kudos to Toyota for taking a chance on the design. Most Toyota's are extremely boring. I'm not a huge CVT fan, but the Subaru Crosstek I looked at prior to my 15 Yaris SE purchase was a manual which I didn't care for, or a CVT.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
^^^ Too many curves. Too many angles. Too many creases. I really hate the new Toyota/Lexus designs.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:53 PM   #9
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Getting the Mazda 2 Sedan in OZ. They look perty good tho. Big trunk! Although I love Hatches more.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:22 AM   #10
Kalispel

Quote:
I think it looks sharp. If this comes out with AWD I think it could cut into some Subaru sales. Not that it really matters a ton, as Toyota is the largest stakeholder of Subaru at like 17 percent. But I would take this over a Subaru if it had AWD. Kudos to Toyota for taking a chance on the design. Most Toyota's are extremely boring. I'm not a huge CVT fan, but the Subaru Crosstek I looked at prior to my 15 Yaris SE purchase was a manual which I didn't care for, or a CVT.
For some reason it looks like something from the Thundercats cartoon.

Not bad looking at all (with the normal-sized wheels), but it is a bit over-the-top in my opinion. I'm sure that it will be a big seller for Toyota. It certainly blows away the Honda HR-V or Mazda CX-3,and other similar-class competition.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:37 AM   #11
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^^^ Too many curves. Too many angles. Too many creases. I really hate the new Toyota/Lexus designs.
I completely agree. So glad I bought a 2014 SE before Toyota went to the jumbo fish mouth school of design with the 2015's. (No offense to 2015+ owners.)
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #12
Kal-El

For its intended buyers, I think the C-HR works in terms of design (I really hope they change the name, sounds like a Honda). It's pretty radical but it comes together better than numerous Nissan examples such as the Juke in which this competes with. This is for young people probably with no kids looking for an alternative to a compact sedan or hatch. The crossover class in general are starting to replace traditional vehicles like sedans for many people. People want the car like ride but sit higher and have some extra cargo capacity plus AWD.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #13
Kalispel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
I completely agree. So glad I bought a 2014 SE before Toyota went to the jumbo fish mouth school of design with the 2015's. (No offense to 2015+ owners.)
The 2015/2016 Yaris SE looks more like an snarky chipmunk or something to me (which is cute), while the iA definitely has the ugly jumbo fish mouth (not so cute, lol).

The current Camry doesn't pull the look off as well as the Yaris does either, in my opinion - and looks more like a fish up front also. The 2015/2016 Yaris SE is the only Toyota that I would buy currently, from an aesthetics-only standpoint.

I also like the 2012-2014 Yaris SE design, overall, just like the 2015/2016. They each have their respective strengths.

Last edited by Kalispel; 03-19-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:08 AM   #14
BLKHILLSGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
The 2015/2016 Yaris SE looks more like an snarky chipmunk or something to me (which is cute), while the iA definitely has the ugly jumbo fish mouth (not so cute, lol).

The current Camry doesn't pull the look off as well as the Yaris does either, in my opinion - and looks more like a fish up front also. The 2015/2016 Yaris SE is the only Toyota that I would buy currently, from an aesthetics-only standpoint.

I also like the 2012-2014 Yaris SE design, overall, just like the 2015/2016. They each have their respective strengths.
I think the current 15 and 16 Yaris is the best looking Yaris to date. Very much European styled. Designed in France. And besides that the new interior is a hundred times better than the previous Yaris autos with all of that hard plastic. I owned an 11 and everything about the 15 is improved in the cabin, including great seats. To each his own. But I've always liked European designed small cars, which the current Yaris is.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #15
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think the current 15 and 16 Yaris is the best looking Yaris to date. Very much European styled. Designed in France. And besides that the new interior is a hundred times better than the previous Yaris autos with all of that hard plastic. I owned an 11 and everything about the 15 is improved in the cabin, including great seats. To each his own. But I've always liked European designed small cars, which the current Yaris is.
The Vitz (Echo/Yaris hatchback) has been designed in Toyota's European design studio (ED2) since inception in 1998. So, whether you are driving a 1st or 4th generation hatchback, it is a European designed car.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:35 AM   #16
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
There is a commercial for the Scion iA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Or2Tanfrtk
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #17
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I agree on many of the designs.

I think this has the potential to be kinda cool in the way a Juke is cool ... assuming you think a Juke is cool. I like them, my wife thinks they're the ugliest car on the road.

The powertrain is going to be meh at best.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
kimona
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I agree on many of the designs.

I think this has the potential to be kinda cool in the way a Juke is cool ... assuming you think a Juke is cool. I like them, my wife thinks they're the ugliest car on the road.

The powertrain is going to be meh at best.
I agree the Juke is "kinda cool" and certainly unique... in a weird sort of way. Thankfully, Nissan didn't apply the Juke design to the entire Nissan line-up!

Well, many manufactures seem to jump on the latest trends bandwagon in an attempt to create a new and unique vehicle design... only to have it look like everything else on the road.

We finally got past all those ugly A-shaped C-pillars and moved forward (or backwards actually) to slimmer C-pillars and better visibility. But, now we have just about every manufacturer incorporating massive grille work, huge fog light surrounds, flying roof-lines, square-cornered lights, machined-face wheels with black accents, and sheet metal with an over abundance of curves and angles none of which make any sense.