Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
Snake

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Snake
Coilovers

Looking for a set of coilovers, fully adjustable.
Who makes a set for the Yaris Liftback, is this something we can import from Europe?
I was thinking maybe they can be interchangeable with the SCION xA suspension, if anyone has any knowledge in this area would be greatly appreciated.
I was thinking Tein, H&R or KW suspension.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Anything for the xA should fit the Yaris. I'm eyeing the Tein adjustible coilovers.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Snake

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Snake
yeah I agree, I think tein is the way to go on this one
positive they will fit right, I dont feel like researching
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy

Drives: 2008 Mazda3 S Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
Anything for the xA should fit the Yaris. I'm eyeing the Tein adjustible coilovers.
Not necessarily true, the xA & the Yaris have different rear suspension types, they may not fit, just get the TRD Sportivo Kit for NCP91
Old 03-29-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_SpaRky
Not necessarily true, the xA & the Yaris have different rear suspension types
Care to back that up with some information?

EDIT: After a little research, it does look like the Yaris' rear suspension is slightly different than the xA, but it looks like it's mainly in the design of the torsion beam - it certainly isn't a different "type" of suspension. My hunch is that Toyota will still have identical spring/damper components for it since having a different system means higher cost, which is exactly what this sort of platform consolidation is designed to avoid. But yes, we'll have to wait and see it looks like.

Last edited by Idjiit; 03-29-2006 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy

They might fit, but if they do the Spring rates will be a bit high. I know that xA/xB/Echo springs should fit, but the shocks are mounted in a different location, thus raising the question if they fit or not.

TRD has 2 different part numbers for both cars, one for Vitz(Yaris) & one for i.s.t (xA)

http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_sportivo.html
Old 03-29-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
just get springs and shocks unless you are gonna track the car more than daily drive it. Oh and BTW do not get the coilover sleeves no matter what.
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 12:23 AM   #8
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
WHy on earth you americans keep trying / thinking about putting Scion suspension into your echos and Yaris's is beyond me. Apart from having a different body yet a similar chasis, the spring ratings differ, and weight distribution would differ too!

There's HEAPS of Coilovers available for the EP91 Yaris from Japan .... HKS, Cusco, and Tein all make different kinds of coilovers fro the Yaris. SEARCh and DO THE RESEARCH .... DONT BE LAZY. !!!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 05:59 AM   #9
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
x2

Buy the proper gear or nothing at all. It is different for a reason. If you want to buy something for the Scion, then buy a Scion in the first place. Doing a "swap" like this is as good as cutting your springs. TRD USA does sell springs I believe.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:36 AM   #10
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy
just get springs and shocks unless you are gonna track the car more than daily drive it. Oh and BTW do not get the coilover sleeves no matter what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33dY
WHy on earth you americans keep trying / thinking about putting Scion suspension into your echos and Yaris's is beyond me. Apart from having a different body yet a similar chasis, the spring ratings differ, and weight distribution would differ too!

There's HEAPS of Coilovers available for the EP91 Yaris from Japan .... HKS, Cusco, and Tein all make different kinds of coilovers fro the Yaris. SEARCh and DO THE RESEARCH .... DONT BE LAZY. !!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
x2

Buy the proper gear or nothing at all. It is different for a reason. If you want to buy something for the Scion, then buy a Scion in the first place. Doing a "swap" like this is as good as cutting your springs. TRD USA does sell springs I believe.
+1 for all three.

there is more to suspension than getting it to fit.

I currently have a Scion xB & the spring rates for the Tein S-Techs that I have would cause dangerous boucing & major understeer if they were put on a Echo or a Yaris (street use), because of the 500lbs+ weight difference.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:29 AM   #11
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
I currently have a Scion xB & the spring rates for the Tein S-Techs that I have would cause dangerous boucing & major understeer if they were put on a Echo or a Yaris (street use), because of the 500lbs+ weight difference.
Err... What 500lb weight difference? Here's the curb weights for each car...

Toyota Yaris Liftback - 2,293lbs
Toyota Echo Coupe - 2,055lbs
Toyota Echo Sedan - 2,035lbs
Scion xA - 2,340lbs
Scion xB - 2,415lbs

Or do you just have coilovers designed for having 500lbs of amps/speakers in your xB? ;)

The point is valid that ideally you should use what's designed for the vehicle, but so far no one has convinced me that the differences between the xA and the Yaris are sizable enough to make a difference - either in fitment or spring rates. Your Tein kit is interchangeable between the xA and xB (a 75lb difference) so I don't see why it would be inappropriate going between the Scions to the Yaris (a 122lb difference to the xB and 47lbs between the xA).

Yes, TRD offers different kits for the xA vs. the Yaris but that could just as easily be because of ride expectations, etc. Note that the drop on the xA kit isn't as low as it is on the Yaris kit.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 AM   #12
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy

I'm not sure where those numbers are coming from but the xB is 2700lbs+, or so I was told, unfortunately I don't have the Service Manual for it to know for sure.

The point that I am trying to get across is "Use suspension components designed for the car that they are going on, not one that is similar". There are alot of cars that are very similar, but have major differences, like weight & angles of components, these can effect the way that the car handles different conditions and can cause a failure of a part. But all-in-all it is your car.

back to the original question:

for a street car, just get the TRD Sportivo Kit for NCP91. it is stiff enough for a basic setup.

For a trackcar or a street/track car, Tein Basics will be your best bet, specs for the Basics

new!
VITZ
NCP91 RS,X FWD
1500 GSL70-H1AS2
¥90,000
¥94,500(incl TAX) Exclusive Spring
4.0k Exclusive Spring
3.1k Ft:-35mm
Rr:-35mm Ft:-57to-2mm
Rr:-49to-26mm * Includes H.A.S.

or Tein Super Comacts

http://www.tein.co.jp/scpe.html

Specs:

new!
VITZ
NCP91 RS,X FWD
1500 - W/O GSL70-G1AS2
¥112,000
¥117,600(incl TAX) Exclusive Spring
4.0k Exclusive Spring
3.1k Ft:-35mm
Rr:-35mm Ft:-57to-2mm
Rr:-49to-26mm * Kit w/o Upper Mount
* NOT compatible with EDFC
Old 03-30-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Quote:
I'm not sure where those numbers are coming from but the xB is 2700lbs+, or so I was told, unfortunately I don't have the Service Manual for it to know for sure.
http://www.scion.com and just about everywhere else the specs are listed.

Quote:
The point that I am trying to get across is "Use suspension components designed for the car that they are going on, not one that is similar". There are alot of cars that are very similar, but have major differences, like weight & angles of components, these can effect the way that the car handles different conditions and can cause a failure of a part. But all-in-all it is your car.
My attitude just acknowledges the facts of platform consolidation. These cars are built to have essentially interchangeable drivetrain and suspension components. It means you have lower design & manufacturing costs, less stock to keep up and lower training requirements. There may indeed be differences in practice, but it isn't foolish to guess that a kit like the Tein Basics will be interchangable between the xA and the Yaris.

Clearly most people would be wise to wait and see how things pan out in the real world, but for the more adventurous of us, it's a calculated risk.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:30 PM   #14
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Just because they both run 1NZFE, look about the same size does not mean it's the same. Even the same models but different country specs can mean the difference between fit and poor fit. E.g rubbing guards that u can't fix by rolling guards, rubber struts and even selecting which TRD suspension kit from Japan to choose from. These are things only Toyota/TRD will know.

Calculated risk is right but TRD USA would have made sure it did not foul any movement in the wheel movement before releasing it in the market.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #15
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

FWIW I inquired about the TRD suspension kit with the dealer, hoping to get it installed so I could roll it on to the financing - he called TRD and they said it won't be available until summer.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:56 PM   #16
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
TEIN has a coilover set (Type Wagon) for the Yaris, but it's not available for NA yet...

http://www.tein.co.jp/wadamp2t.html
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #17
Master
Hella Smart

Drives: Lexus IS300
any new info on the swappable suspensions on the xa and yaris?
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 11:14 PM   #18
Master
Hella Smart

Drives: Lexus IS300
i have positive confirmation that xb and xa suspension will NOT work on the yaris. the spring rates and shock rates are totally different. the spring rates are higher on the yaris than the the bb and ist. the shock travel is also longer on the yaris
Master is offline   Reply With Quote