Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Suggestions - Feedback - Questions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: What do you think?
I wholeheartedly agree; something needs to be done ASAP 16 66.67%
I somewhat agree, but this "open letter" could be improved upon (please specify how/why below) 5 20.83%
I don't agree at all / I don't care (please specify how/why if possible) 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:22 PM   #37
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
my .02(if anybody cares). i've been on here a couple years now and bought my second yaris partially because i discovered what a valuable resource this was after buying my first! as stated before, this forum is pretty tame compared to others i've encountered and that's why i still visit. i hear the horror stories from my friends on hondatech, etc. that make me appreciate this site so much! i would like to thank the mods we do have for keeping order(and still letting us have 'some' fun ). yeah, maybe we could use more for the spam, but i really don't notice all that much - and that's a testament to the hard work they do(IMHO)!

rep points are silly because(as again already stated) most of us 'regulars' already know who is full of knowledge and who is full of....it. heck, get rid of post counts for that matter. i actually like the 'off topic' area because sometimes you need a break from 'will it rub?' or 'know your oil' threads. it's sad to see valuable members leave, but that is life and sometimes people need a change of scenery. things get slow every now and then too, but there's exciting stuff around the corner also(see garms engine build, intake manifold updates, or just the extremes folks are going to mod our wonderful, little cars!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #38
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
hahaha. Yeah, although I find that some members are hostile when it comes to new folks asking questions, I have heard that Honda forums (excluding FF) is pretty bad. Heck, even FF gets mad at their members when they act like some other Honda forums. hahaha.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #39
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
-whistle whistle whistle VVVVVVVVVV

Old 08-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #40
advocate

Drives: car
As someone who is almost completely car illiterate, a wiki would be great to save me the embarrassment of asking things like "what does LSD stand for?" Rather than find out the hard way after 4 days of seeing the term used so many times that someone finally posted the un-acronym version.

This may not be the best example of a simple question easily answered from a wiki but it is 2AM and I have work soon so I'm pretty tired =) But my point remains! A wiki would be great to reference things like possible tire size / rim sizes that fit with the yaris as well as speaker sizes that work and stuff like that that will never change.

Overall my YW experience has been an amazing learning and eye-opening experience into the car world but there's definitely room for improvement.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #41
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Ummm ill be working on this very shortly when i get some time, but its going to be a Micro-Tuner forum for Fits, Aveos, Smarts, Yaris, Versa etc......
already exists
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #42
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
^ hahahahah, may be our signatures will be reminders.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:22 PM   #43
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
i'm too slow chino but thanks!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #44
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
You were right on having mods from different time zones. That would help with the spam thing.
See? I knew you weren't completely opposed to my points above. Can mods change their poll answers?

Quote:
A captcha for signup would also probably eliminate 90% of our spam.

Thomas should have had admin status from the get-go.
Agreed on both counts.

Quote:
As far as how this forum treats new members, I wholeheartedly disagree and I've grown a little disenchanted from all of the negativity regarding how people are treated on this board. This is the most docile, kind car forum I've ever seen, yet there seems to be some level of striving for a forumtopia among a small contingent of our members. I just don't get it. I really don't. I'm an active member of three car forums and visit another 2 or 3 and I can honestly say this one is a puppy in a lion's cage. Try as you may, you'll never legislate perfection, and to try to do so is overly tiring.
Well, some of us may well be overreacting in this respect. But you have to agree that negative members/topics/replies have become much more commonplace as of late. I can take a bit of this negative vibe. But I also think we should have some contingency steps at the ready if this problem gets out of hand in the future.

Quote:
I always meet YW improvement threads with a good dose of meh.
Oh, I've kinda noticed my friend...
Still, I do appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Quote:
And about the wiki... it would serve the forum no proper purpose to set a wiki up because referring people to an off-the-forum wiki detracts from the search engine rankings of the pages of the forum itself. If I don't know these forums exist and I Google something and land on a wiki, theres a good chance I'll never find them. That is all bad.
Actually this can be easily solved by providing a link to the relevant YW forum thread inside the wiki article. SEO would actually be strengthened, since you have a link to a relevant (though not the same) topic. For a good example of this, check out mp3car.com. They have all sorts of stuff (wikis, forums, blog, store, etc) and they make it all look like just one big site. Google rankings are extremely high for them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i refrained from voting since, its kind of a waste of time , no disrespect to you TK, but if i remember correctly in the last 6 months we had at least 5 other Poll threads with improvement ideas and it did nothing, we still get spammed, people still bitch at each other and might as well take off the search and FAQ section as no one is using them.
Actually, I think you would've wasted less time by just voting, but I may be wrong.
Thanks for your input nonetheless, Pavel. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
I personally believe a wiki section will improve the ability of new members (and a good "finite" collaboration area for seasoned members) to find and improve/build/revise upon proven concepts, homemade mods, etc. I personally hate sorting through (as others have said) 5 pages of bullshit to pick out the 10 helpful posts to get something done.
Thanks for your input, Alex!

Quote:
I do, however, believe that this also should be moderated by select members, perhaps a "post and get approval by poll" before being added type system, that way it wont be clogged by useless posts, being the point for such a wiki in the first place.
To address the issue about not being directly linked to the forum, templates can be edited, links and graphics can be added, it can be made very clear that that piece (wiki) is only a very small part of a much larger community effort.
I completely agree with the above. There are many ways to have wikis and forums co-exist without deterring from each other's importance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
TK-421 (hehehe, by the way, funny name) you wrote a really nice letter. I don't know about the rep level either but for the initiative, and the letter itself. Well done!
Thank you, mater! Took me a little while to get everything out without it sounding offensive. I'm glad it came out OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
my .02(if anybody cares). i've been on here a couple years now and bought my second yaris partially because i discovered what a valuable resource this was after buying my first!
The above should serve as a testament of how YW has truly served as a great resource for lots of ppl around the world.

Quote:
rep points are silly because(as again already stated) most of us 'regulars' already know who is full of knowledge and who is full of....it. heck, get rid of post counts for that matter.
If it were up to me, I'd place the post counts inside each member's profile area (where one leaves personal messages and stuff), and I would certainly remove them from their usual place.

As far as the "rep points" idea, I am not completely married to it. Please post some ideas on the subject if you have them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate View Post
As someone who is almost completely car illiterate, a wiki would be great to save me the embarrassment of asking things like "what does LSD stand for?" Rather than find out the hard way after 4 days of seeing the term used so many times that someone finally posted the un-acronym version.
Thanks for your comments, advocate!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #45
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
All I can say is that I have made some new, and might I add good friends on this forum. That being said we are in need of help and I would gladly donate any of my circuits or gears if it would help.(If you catch my meaning) I miss YW of days gone by. I'd love to see it brought back to it former glory. This forum weighed heavily in me even buying my YARiSin the first place. I know that I have not been as active as I once was in part do to real life holding me back, but also due to some of the concern mentioned in this thread. I'm rambling but I'm back for good (I never really left) and I will do what I can to help.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #46
aeipee13
DKDC

Drives: Yarlet
I don't post often do to reasons TK-421 has voiced. I try to post valuable information as much as possible and have been flamed by people with 1236987346987 posts because they use the forums for discussions that can be handle via IM or PM.

Why not start a new forum. I know that's a tall order with all the info that has been accumulated on here but it seems like the only solution at this point. Look, VitzBoy and YarisBueller have not even responded publicly. If new forum is started with new Admin everything from banners working (tire rack discount comes to mind) and a wiki can be built up by people that care.

I was on this forum for almost year before I got my yaris. This forum was a big reason why I got a Yaris. Everything I have purchased to upgrade or repair my yaris was found on Yarisworld.

Maybe I could earn that third star on a new forum that rates by content and not post count. I'm not voting either because I don't think admin gives a shit.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #47
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
http://microimageonline.com/forums

Involved admins, nice people, structured moderation and rules, no post counts, very inclusive... we've learned the lessons. Come on over.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #48
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Need more mods, and mods that should act like mods.

Last edited by PETERPOOP; 09-02-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #49
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The Mods do a great job here with the tools they have to work with.
I just think they deserve more tools if they have to manage the forums.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.

Last edited by cali yaris; 09-03-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #50
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
What da hell?!?!? what did i miss?
Closed Thread