Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #163
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
I don't know much about fuel injectors but ours are plastic things that just push into the fuel rail and are held in place by the o-ring. As Doc has said, you need to lube these with WD-40 before seating them into the fuel rail. I did not do this and I thought that the injectors went in fine. Apparently not.
Don't use WD40, use vaseline. Also inspect the o rings very carefully. If you cut one you will need a new one, and the car will never run right. The o rings are made of a different material so they arent broken down by contact with gasoline.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:58 PM   #164
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Don't use WD40, use vaseline. Also inspect the o rings very carefully. If you cut one you will need a new one, and the car will never run right. The o rings are made of a different material so they arent broken down by contact with gasoline.
Uh oh... really? Maybe this is why I'm having trouble starting my car after it's been sitting for a day. I've figured out that I'm having my fuel pressure bleed off. If I turn the key to "ON" and wait about 5 seconds before cranking, it starts up fine... but if not, it just cranks for a couple seconds, sputters and dies. Then starts fine after that. Hmmmmmm... maybe I need to re-examine my O-rings and replace them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
... Doc Zaius used a 8 rib belt and got 2 for the price of one but I don't remember the part number.
I didn't... I thought of that after I bought the 6-rib belt and cut it up. I think it's part #4080660.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #165
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I used the 8-rib because that's all they had and I thought that Doc had used the 8-rib. Ahh, the blind leading the clueless.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:00 PM   #166
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Nope... I came up with the genius idea, but a little too late!
Old 11-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #167
LtNoogie

I found the problem! It was a rubber injector vibration insulator that had popped out and fell on the floor when we removed the fuel rail. My brother had found it on the floor when we pushed the car back but he did not know what it was.

This rubber insulator pushes against the injector and keeps it seated in the fuel rail. With the insulator out, injector #2 had nothing holding it in tightly against the fuel rail

I followed the shop manual and removed the valve cover to totally remove the fuel rail and work the injectors. Cool pictures to follow tonight.

I'm going to put everything back together but need to wait for my brother to get here before I fire her up again.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:00 PM   #168
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
So close!! Great work!

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:09 AM   #169
LtNoogie

Ladies and Gentlemen...WE'VE GOT BOOST!

| |

Old 11-27-2008, 01:20 AM   #170
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
woohooo!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #171
LtNoogie

Last time, we saw that fuel injector #2 had popped out of the fuel rail and gas was squirting onto the engine. Today, I undid some tie straps and proceeded to loosen the two bolts that hold the fuel rail to the head.

This allows the fuel rail to pivot up a little and I can pull injectors #1 and #2 completely out of the rail. The other two injectors are too hard to pull out right now because of the angle of the rail.

There is no good reason why the injector should have popped out of the fuel rail so I looked into the holes where the injectors plug into the head. I noticed that cylinder #1 has a black rubber something in the hole and cylinder #2 has shiny metal.

Apparently when we pulled the fuel rail the very first time, one of the rubber fuel injector vibration insulators had popped loose and had gotten lost. This is terrible because I'd have to go to Toyota to get a replacement and there's a 100% probability that they would have to order it.

Then, I look on our work bench and I see a black rubber thingy that looks alot like what should have been in the fuel injection port. Luckily for me, when it fell out days ago, it fell onto the floor underneath the car. When my brother pushed the car near the garage door, he found the thing and put it on the bench, not knowing what the heck it was!

In order to get the other injectors out, I decided to follow the instructions in the shop manual. This is the Yaris shop manual that Violin had posted in 2006 to the DYI forum. That set of manuals is priceless and I suggest that everybody download the pdf files to your computers.

The manual says that in order to work on the fuel injectors, you have to remove the valve cover so the ignition coils come off, the valve cover comes off and I'm staring at the two cams, the timing chain and other cool engine components. This only took 20 minutes.

Now, it's really easy to lift the fuel rail up and I can get to the other two fuel injectors. I put o-ring lube on each injector o-ring and the injectors go back into the fuel rail.

The fuel rail slips back into its original position and I make sure the inectors are pushed into the rubber insulators in the head.

I install everything in the reverse order that they were disassembled and the engine is back in one piece again.

My brother comes to the shop and we go through the startup procedure again but this time the car is idling very smoothly. No CEL. I need to get a wideband A/F gauge badly because it smells like its running rich but it could be because it's still cold.

Lastly, we take it out on the street in this industrial park and test it and I can definitely feel it when the blower kicks in. There's an urgency to get somewhere that I have not felt in this car before.

We'll drive it carefully over this Thanksgiving weekend and I'll keep checking for loose nuts and bolts and I'll check the belt.

Other than that, this project is essentially over. I'll post some driving impressions after I get some more time on it.

Th th th th that's all folks!

Last edited by LtNoogie; 11-28-2008 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:19 AM   #172
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
Quote:
...I fire her up again.
please stop saying this!

can't wait to see it in person and maybe ride on it!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:33 AM   #173
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
wow....Noogie, you are a CHAMPION.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #174
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Well done. Just need to get it on a dyno when you have it 100% finished.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #175
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
please stop saying this!

can't wait to see it in person and maybe ride on it!
Are you local to the San Fernando Valley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
wow....Noogie, you are a CHAMPION.
Thanks to you and your finessing the A/C line! I need to know if you have a jpg or gif of the MicroImage logo. Would you mind if I have it etched on the engine cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAD DOG* View Post
Well done. Just need to get it on a dyno when you have it 100% finished.
I have to take the mental step of going WOT. I want to enjoy a couple of weeks of driving while I continue to tighten nuts and bolts. But, dyno day will come for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Congrats on the install again. That is some major surgery to get the rail off, I don't know if I would have went that far. Was there a gasket on the valve cover? I am assuming there was, but did you reuse it or put another one on?

I am curious if you are still running the TRD intake?
Taking the valve cover off was a piece of cake becaus there is nothing in the way. There is a rubber gasket ring that fits into a groove in the valve cover. I should have gotten a new gasket and may do so in the near future.

I am still using the TRD intake but will switch to the AEM intake when Garm and I can hook up. I also will order some gauges from him... wideband A/F, vacuum/boost, ???.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:27 PM   #176
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
Quote:
Are you local to the San Fernando Valley?
yup local, i'm there almost every week! still have families there in the valley, but i live in torrance, ca now!

you might want to check this thing out on december 11!

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11168
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #177
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
2 LtNoogie:

This thread is awesome!!!!!

Thank you

Also kudos to everyone else who helped create this thread
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #178
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

whoa. Four years, it's a record!

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #179
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
^ Wanted this thread readily accessible when I need it ))

Four years old but still awesome .. also in my case makes a difference between attempting an install and not even trying to do so due to poor mechanical skills.

Btw, do you by chance happen to remember any better thread on Blitz installation?
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #180
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I'll do some searches. Not better, Long's was really good -- but just by other members doing installs.