Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #73
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
I used an open-end wrench. The head of the ratching box end was too big. The nut tightened up as easily as the other two on top.
Are you serious?! Wow... lucky guy! I ended up getting my girlfriend (with small hands) to get that nut on the bolt, and get the threading started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtNoogie View Post
A/C lines are gonna kill me in the end.
What'd I tell you, man? Getting in there now to fix the A/C lines is gonna be wicked hard.

But yeah, this has been like a trip down memory lane. I remember about the dipstick bracket... I managed to get a shorty 14mm (I think?) wrench under there and loosen it up so I could attach it. Bummer about bending the bracket... I'm glad it straightened out! And remember to put a little lubricating fluid on the O-rings when you pop the rail back on the injectors. My friendly neighbourhood Toyota tech told me to always use something when fiddling with the injectors, otherwise the rings might pinch and not seal properly.

Agreeing with camelll, it's definitely not as hard to undo and redo the 2nd time. For your A/C lines (and those two bolts) (AND the dipstick), it might be easier to take the 'charger back off, fix everything, and then put it back on. Seriously. I know it sucks! But those lines are really in the way!

And for the ECU, it's only held to the firewall by three 10mm nuts & bolts... getting it off is pretty easy. The two big connectors on top of it, the left one (the bigger) won't clear the cowling... so either you take off the whole cowling like camelll did, or pop the ECU off the firewall, undo the connectors, and put the ECU on a table while you do your splicing. Either way...

We all had our struggles putting this thing on. I didn't tighten my stud bolts on the 'charger as much as I wanted, and then ended up stripping a nut (so I'll never get it off). Keep going! Good luck!!

Oh, and thanks for the responses guys about your cars starting fine in the cold weather. It's been happening here even when it's only in the 40s. So maybe I did something wrong. I'll have to pop the hood and have my girlfriend start it while I try to see if everything is ok. Hmmmm!
Old 11-20-2008, 01:42 PM   #74
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I'm taking you out for a nice sushi dinner when you're done -- you can drive, or course.
No, YOU can drive. I'll be behind you in MY car as you tow it with my shiny new tow hook.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #75
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Quote:
I'll be behind you in MY car as you tow it with my shiny new tow hook
A yaris towing a yaris, that will be a hoot to see...the car explode from its insides out! :P
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #76
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
hmmm, this could be arranged
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #77
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
A yaris towing a yaris, that will be a hoot to see...the car explode from its insides out! :P
I would pick up the parts that dropped out of his car and try to re-sell them on here.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #78
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
hahah you and me both, but everyone is in Cali for some reason... got to bring this extravaganza down here
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:00 AM   #79
LtNoogie

Tonight we took it kinda easy. I still had the combination wrench stuck on a bolt from last night. My brother went to Harbor Freight to buy some really long locking pliers and a magnetic picker upper while I went to Pep Boys to buy a two-foot gripper. I also picked up one foot of vacuum hose.

We were able to free the tool and eventually get the screw completely out of the very tight space.

We are still having problems with the interference that the metal A/C lines are causing with the new belt. There's a compression fitting block which is so close to the belt that the belt will tear itself apart on it when the engine rocks front to rear.

We spent an hour pulling and pushing on the entire A/C line but could not get it to move very far from the belt path. At this time, I am willing to find an auto air conditioning shop to see if they can replace the metal lines with flexible lines and reroute them away from the pulleys and the belt. Tomorrow I'll see if my mechanic can recommend someone.

Since there was very little we could do there, I undid the bolt that held the L bracket between the manifold and the blower. This was done by feel because the L bracket is now underneath and out of site. The new hinged inspection mirror I bought at Pep Boys was useful here.

With the bolt removed, I was able to install the dipstick tube support bracket and then bolt that bracket to the one attached to the dipstick tube. Yeah!!! One minor victory.

It would have been much easier to have installed the dipstick tube support bracket when the manifold/blower was still on the bench.

The vacuum hoses go onto the intake tube easy, now that I have the right length.

The throttle body goes onto the intake tube.

The water hose support goes onto the throttle body.

The CAI attaches to the throttle body and a few more hoses connect to the CAI.

And voila, the roadside of the motor is back together. It looks pretty and ready to run if you ignore the fact that the belt still isn't on.

Here are a few views of the engine bay with the supercharger installed.

Isn't that purdy?

The supercharger sits so high that the stock engine cover will not fit anymore. We will have to cut the engine cover so that it will fit flat on top of the valve cover. There are only two studs where I can fasten it down with the original nuts.

Here is a before shot for comparison. There used to be four studs that held the engine cover down.

See how much clearance there is between the altenator pulley and the A/C lines when the alternator is in its stock position. Once you flip it upside down and move it lower, that's when you get into trouble. Make sure you move all your A/C lines right after you removed the alternator while you still have plenty of room to work. Loosen the screw on the clamp and the A/C line will slide around when you push or pull on it.

I don't know when we will do the electrical installation. I really need to take care of the A/C line interference first so I can install the belt.

It certainly looks the the supercharger pictures that others have posted but it's not running yet. Perhaps by Monday.

Last edited by LtNoogie; 11-21-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:19 AM   #80
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
forget the engine cover....the blower looks sexy, great job and have fun!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 03:23 AM   #81
LtNoogie

Thanks, Malaya. Someone said that the engine cover prevents the heat from the engine from discoloring your hood right overhead that spot.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:59 AM   #82
staypuft
aka SDMF

Drives: 07 LB Met Met
Send a message via AIM to staypuft
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
I am certain either the 07's or the sedan has more room in the engine bay.

This could be very important info LTNOOGIE: I don't know if this true or not but I was warned by yarisdarkness not to use the TRD CAI with the blitz as it has a bypass valve that can be sucked in! I did not know that you had the trd till the last set pics you just posted. Maybe garm can contact blitz to verify this information. Yarisdarkness is a authorized blitz dealer so I would think this info is very accurate.
i thought i read somewhere that 2 pc intakes are not recommended for this application. hey mike good thing we got the single piece fujita cai.

i'll take a pic of my a/c line near the compressor and see what went wrong.

follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/samuryan_x
staypuft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #83
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

As soon as I saw the CAI I also questoned it. I will also try to get an answer about that for you today.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 AM   #84
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
This could be very important info LTNOOGIE: I don't know if this true or not but I was warned by yarisdarkness not to use the TRD CAI with the blitz as it has a bypass valve that can be sucked in! I did not know that you had the trd till the last set pics you just posted. Maybe garm can contact blitz to verify this information. Yarisdarkness is a authorized blitz dealer so I would think this info is very accurate.
Wow, ok. I know that Garm checks this thread. I still have my stock airbox but I may have to switch to a one-piece CAI like you guys.

Anyone else with authoratative info on this?
Old 11-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #85
LtNoogie

Garm dropped by today to look at the S/C project. While I was explaining how I was having new A/C lines fabbed to clear the belt, he reached in and yanked the A/C line out of the way.

I should have had my Wheaties that day.

Number one: I've already admitted to being a moron in an earlier post.

Number two: We were trying to pull the line forward. He pulled it sideways.

I owe him a sushi lunch.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #86
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

aw shucks... :flex:
Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #87
LtNoogie

Garm, can you do the electrical for me?
Old 11-21-2008, 08:45 PM   #88
LtNoogie

My brother wants the night off so no updates tonight. Thanks for checking in.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:37 PM   #89
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I'm better at beating stuff up than finessing wires. Sorry!

No updates tonight? What am I supposed to do instead of watch this thread?

No No No !!
Old 11-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #90
LtNoogie

Did you guys find the belt to be too long or too short? We got the belt on and the tensioner went to the bottom of the slot. I'm going to get a shorter belt.