Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2008, 11:43 AM   #19
GeneralDon7

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Yes thats the parking brake light, Does anyone know what would cause the ABS to come on sometimes, its really random, is this cause of that corroded connecor, and also does anyone know why the power steering light would come on, could it be low power steering fluid, cause it only comes on after i start steering. These lights have only started coming on after I just got my front two tires changed. Which I find quite fishy to begin with.
GeneralDon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:20 PM   #20
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammes View Post
Does anyone know what the exclamation point symbol means? I just got my 08 Yaris Sedan on October 14th and this morning that exclamation point light was on an did not go off like usual. I found the light symbol in my manual, but no explanation on what the light is suppose to indicate. I am taking it to my dealer on Friday but I am curious to know what it is suppose to be telling me. Any help is gladly appreciated.

buddy, you are in the Canadian forum :P Some US models have tire pressure monitors.... this could be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDon7 View Post
Yes thats the parking brake light, Does anyone know what would cause the ABS to come on sometimes, its really random, is this cause of that corroded connecor, and also does anyone know why the power steering light would come on, could it be low power steering fluid, cause it only comes on after i start steering. These lights have only started coming on after I just got my front two tires changed. Which I find quite fishy to begin with.

the yaris does not have any powersteering fluid. It's solely powered by an electric motor. If the light does come on... it could be your motor is overheating or malfunctioning.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #21
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
just took my car to my dealer, last winter (jan 2008), I had my left rear sensor replaced. Now this winter, my right side are done. As usual, parts are backorders, have to wait for 1-2 weeks just like last time. Luckily my ECP extended warranty is paying for it.

To whomever doing their sensor, push them to do it both side. IF it's the same hardness and they are installed at the same time, it's the matter of time that both get corroded around the same time.

Just like your left shoe would get same wear and tear than your right shoe! I don't understand why didn't Toyota simply replace both side from beginning.
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:10 PM   #22
IllusionX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDon7 View Post
was it this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
It is the one that looks like this:

Old 12-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #23
kozm

Drives: Yaris Sedan 07
Same thing happened to me two days ago - both (!) and (ABS) lights were on. My wife went to the dealership, and they will replace the bloody thing once it has arrived. Her English is a tad weak, so she did not exactly remembered what the bloody thing was - but it looks like the same one from this thread...

Sedan/2007/37 K
kozm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #24
IllusionX

BTW guys... my sedan has been undercoated by Toyota. my connections probably have been isolated from water and road salt. I also do yearly oil rust-proof, and they spray oil all over under the car.

onizuka, how about yours ?
Old 12-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #25
onizuka

still pending for parts arrival
Old 12-14-2008, 12:26 AM   #26
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by onizuka View Post
Last year I got the speed sensor problem fixed. Waited for parts for 2 weeks, and driven my car without ABS in snow for 2 weeks. And now a year later, the problem happens again after an afternoon of snowy driving.

I recall my dealer telling me how the speed sensor can easily be malfunction due to salt splash. Dammit, I hope it's on the other side, because I can't believe how the same parts fail twice in 2 years. I have to bring my car in on Monday.

My car is heading its 4th year, and I hope my warranty continues to cover this.
THANK GOD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE!!! (Sorry to hear abt u having the same issue too though, man)

Last Sunday this bloody issue happened AGAIN with my 2007 Yaris 5DR Manual Hatchback.

This is the SECOND time it has happened to me (YES, I'm annoyed! Sorry)

Happened earlier this year, last winter back in Feb 08.

Now, this winter, Dec 08, it had happened again (right after we got another massive dumping of snow)!

Luckily getting the replacement part in was no problem for my dealership. Took my car in (bc of the ABS and (!) warning lights showing), and after the apt they told me the issue (something abt the hub assembly ???? i dunno, was over my head...) and that i would have to come back the next day for the fix - getting the part the next day wasnt an issue up here.

I'm covered under warranty, but that expires this coming May 09. So since this has now happened TWICE in less than a year, I'm kinda concerned (and annoyed).

I asked out of curiosity what it would likely cost me to fix, just a general ballpark i said..... and was told around the $400! JESUS f*cking jehovah!

Anyways, so sum this up, I have a few questions to clear up.

If this goes on me again when I'm out of warranty, I dont wanna be shelling out money for something that is NON-ESSENTIAL to my car's operations (while im still making monthly pymts)

ie. If i dont need to fix it (if it wont cause further issues or complications for my car), i dont wanna fix it.

Can I just say "screw it" and save the $400+ and live w/o ABS and be fine? There'll be no detriment to my car, right? There's no danger of creating further problems for my Yaris in the future if i dont address this ABS failure?

As well, if the answer above is YES, and i chose to live w/o ABS (not huge big deal for me), is there a way they can flash (or whatever the term is) the car's computer so i dont have to live w/ the ABS and (!) lights being perpetually on!??

I would hate to have to deal with and see those lights on constantly if this was an issue i was gonna just ignore. Can turning them off (as it relates to this ABS failure issue) be done?

(obvi i would still want my (!) to be on when i have the parking brake up... i drive a manual. i am fond of that indicator. lol)

Thanks for the input ppl.

Glad to see im not the only Yaris owner w/ this bloody issue. UGH. Feel annoyed for us all though. this feels like an "annoying VW" issue as far as im concerned... :S

Jem
Old 12-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #27
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan View Post
Make sure they change the harness with the sensor, and if you can see if you can watch. It was badly corroded. when he placed the new one he put contact cleaner on it and once installed put white grease on it also i believe. Since then no problem but it winter like every two to three weeks i try to wash under the car and wheel area.
Interesting input. Thanks for your thoughts and advice here man.

I'll keep this in mind, but i dont think ill be able to make enough fuss myself to get them to let me watch, unfortunately. wish i could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
This is kinda concerning to read. Three people have had this same problem? Is there anything that can be done to prevent this problem from happening? Would that rust-proof undercoating help?
VERY concerning to read. Reminds of old VW bullshit w/ their electrical systems that frustrated the fuck out of their owners!

Quote:
actually, this happens to me for the second time now
seems to come back when winter starts to pound snow and when temperature is dropping
definitely a defect from Toyota. Only had my car for 3 years with 71k
Twice over here now. First Feb 08. Now again in Dec 08. Just for reference points, I dive an 2007 Yaris Hatchback. Bought it back in May 06.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse1000 View Post
it sucks, but as long as I know that the ABS doesn't work when the light is on, I'm okay, becasue I don't expect it to kick in....my car is long past warranty, so there's no way I'm paying money to fix it....I like driving without ABS in the winter anyway
Once my car goes out of warranty this coming May 09, if this ABS issue crap happens again next winter, ill just leave it too. Im not shelling out $400-500 to get the f'n ABS working again on my vehicle, not while im still making monthly payments anyways. I dont feel the need to have working ABS that badly. Once my car is paid off and im not shelling out money each month for it, ya, ill prolly pay then to fix it.

Quote:
this should be something of safety concern and perhaps a recall should be made
when most of us upgrade to ABS package, we expect it to last and come to use
jesse, I can see that your car is 2007, how can you past your warranty this quick?
Agreed. Lets get a bloody recall on this issue so they can fix it (free of charge) and get it permanently dealt with properly.

Quote:
just took my car to my dealer, last winter (jan 2008), I had my left rear sensor replaced. Now this winter, my right side are done. As usual, parts are backorders, have to wait for 1-2 weeks just like last time. Luckily my ECP extended warranty is paying for it.

To whomever doing their sensor, push them to do it both side. IF it's the same hardness and they are installed at the same time, it's the matter of time that both get corroded around the same time.
I didnt ask and they didnt tell me specifically which sensor went.

And all i know from last time, per my notes which i reviewed, was that "Need an ABS speed sensor for back breaks."

So it had to do w/ my back sensors, but dont know if it was both L and R or just one or the other.

Huh.

Anyways, GREAT THREAD, so glad to have found it!

Jem
Old 12-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #28
onizuka

Thank you for your input.

I wonder if we could start a survey/petition for a recall. If enough people getting the same problem, they should not hide this and make it an official recall.

JEM: your service invoice should indicate which side of sensor they replaced. Have a close look on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
Interesting input. Thanks for your thoughts and advice here man.

I'll keep this in mind, but i dont think ill be able to make enough fuss myself to get them to let me watch, unfortunately. wish i could.

VERY concerning to read. Reminds of old VW bullshit w/ their electrical systems that frustrated the fuck out of their owners!

Twice over here now. First Feb 08. Now again in Dec 08. Just for reference points, I dive an 2007 Yaris Hatchback. Bought it back in May 06.

Once my car goes out of warranty this coming May 09, if this ABS issue crap happens again next winter, ill just leave it too. Im not shelling out $400-500 to get the f'n ABS working again on my vehicle, not while im still making monthly payments anyways. I dont feel the need to have working ABS that badly. Once my car is paid off and im not shelling out money each month for it, ya, ill prolly pay then to fix it.

Agreed. Lets get a bloody recall on this issue so they can fix it (free of charge) and get it permanently dealt with properly.

I didnt ask and they didnt tell me specifically which sensor went.

And all i know from last time, per my notes which i reviewed, was that "Need an ABS speed sensor for back breaks."

So it had to do w/ my back sensors, but dont know if it was both L and R or just one or the other.

Huh.

Anyways, GREAT THREAD, so glad to have found it!

Jem
Old 12-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #29
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
JEM: your service invoice should indicate which side of sensor they replaced. Have a close look on that.
Ill hafta look to see if i can find the invoice still (that could be a challenge, lol).

should have it around somewhere. i keep them of course. just have no idea where it ended up almost a year ago.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #30
jgag123

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris sedan
Quote:

I wonder if we could start a survey/petition for a recall. If enough people getting the same problem, they should not hide this and make it an official recall.

I agree, it should be big time recall, or we have to replace does stupid sensors every winter.
jgag123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:00 PM   #31
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Is anyone with a sedan having this problem?

I haven't had this problem on our sedan yet, and so far, it looks like everyone having issues owns hatches.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #32
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Is anyone with a sedan having this problem?

I haven't had this problem on our sedan yet, and so far, it looks like everyone having issues owns hatches.
Post #24 is a sedan.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #33
IllusionX

i would like to know if, of all those who had the problem, had the car rust proofed, or had undercoat done.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #34
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
i would like to know if, of all those who had the problem, had the car rust proofed, or had undercoat done.
Agreed. I was going to have mine coated anyway, since I've had issues in the past with stuff rusting/seizing in other (*cough*GM*cough*) cars. This problem seems to give me a whole new level of motivation... If there's any preventative action that can be taken to stop this failure, everyone should be aware of it.

Edit.
Though that doesn't remove Toyota's responsibility to fix what sounds like a design/manufacturing flaw.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:47 AM   #35
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Post #24 is a sedan.
Thanks WeeYari
Old 12-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #36
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Though that doesn't remove Toyota's responsibility to fix what sounds like a design/manufacturing flaw.
Exactly, you shouldn't have to pay extra for a service to cover up a flaw in their product.