Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 PM   #37
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
So its a fluke? Right.....
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #38
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Yes, I believe it is either a fluke or a misrepresentation by those that told you it was the fault of the higher pressure in order to escape their own culpability for a substandard product.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #39
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post

The one that runs at higher pressure, every single time. This has held true over millions of road miles of testing, in every kind of environment and on every type of vehicle it has been tried on. You certainly have the freedom to believe regurgitated rhetoric but for my money I go where the actual testing has been done.
Who paid for this testing? Most tire test done are usually paid for by a certain tire company therefore their results they get might not be as accurate as they really are. Money rules all. Also while we are on this note, you have to be careful what you see and here on TV, the net or magazines. For example, I saw some ad on TV last night that said "Men are 4 times more likely to be struck by lightning than women." I bet there are a lot of people that saw that and said "Damn I'm glad I'm a women," or "Damn being a guy is hard." BUT you have to look more into the situation and understand why that is untrue. It should have said "Men get struck by lightning on average 4 times more than women."
Old 12-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #40
edisonfire

Drives: Yaris Hatchback `08
i had a set of Bridgestone Winterforce tires put on the Yaris for the winter. I checked the pressure and it's at about 35 psi. The max on the sidewall of the tire said 44 psi. I called the Bridgestone/Firestone tire dealer that installed the tires and asked them why so underinflated. They told me that the best thing to do woudl be to stay within what the car is rated for (whatever it says on the door label)

I think it's a load of crap, cuz I'm losing about 100 kms per tank ever since. Can I inflate to 44psi?
edisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #41
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Quote:
I think it's a load of crap, cuz I'm losing about 100 kms per tank ever since.
Maybe thats why i noticed a difference in mpg when i switched tires? I inflated to the what the car says on door label?

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:00 PM   #42
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
Listen center tread wear can easily be tested the same way I use to test my tires for roll on turns. On a dry day take a piece of sidewalk chalk and just make 4 or 5 1inch-2inchthick lines from the sidewall and across the tread. Drive your car for just a mile or less and check to see where the chalk has been worn off. I bet that at 60 PSI you will see substantial center tread wear and at 32 if you have taken a hard turn will find that some chalk has been worn off of the sidewall!!! Easy test that I owe Loren for helping me find to use on autocross
Old 12-19-2008, 01:44 AM   #43
50MPGDream

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 93 Camaro
over 22,000 miles logged on the stock tires at 50 PSI

and for the record, i once had a blowout in my camaro on a tire that was less than a week old with the PSI at 32... not all blowouts are related to PSI, and I think it's safe to say that it had nothing to do with the PSI but more to do with whatever was on the road that poked the hole in the tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4MPG View Post
If you want even more proof, especially on the traction side, visit any local dragstrip. You will see all of the "street" cars lowering tire pressure after they arrive, and almost any dragstrip worth its salt has a compressor so you can bring them back to road pressure before you leave. The drag radials on my mustang are particularly sensitive to tire pressure, going from 25 to 20 PSI resulted in nearly a .2 second faster 60' time. Even on my buddies T/A, with stock goodyear regular radials, he was regularly picking up .1 in the 60' with a 5-8 PSI drop from his street pressure.
My camaro's best 60' time (1.8xx) came on a set of drag radials at 20 PSI, but that relates to MPG in no way (I'm sure I was using more than a gallon per mile in those 60 feet)
Old 12-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #44
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonfire View Post
i had a set of Bridgestone Winterforce tires put on the Yaris for the winter. I checked the pressure and it's at about 35 psi. The max on the sidewall of the tire said 44 psi. I called the Bridgestone/Firestone tire dealer that installed the tires and asked them why so underinflated. They told me that the best thing to do woudl be to stay within what the car is rated for (whatever it says on the door label)

I think it's a load of crap, cuz I'm losing about 100 kms per tank ever since. Can I inflate to 44psi?
If I was in your boat I'd put them up to 44psi and slowly try going even higher. The only downside to doing this will be a harsher ride, but handling, traction, FE and tire wear will all improve.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:40 AM   #45
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Who paid for this testing? Most tire test done are usually paid for by a certain tire company therefore their results they get might not be as accurate as they really are. Money rules all. Also while we are on this note, you have to be careful what you see and here on TV, the net or magazines. For example, I saw some ad on TV last night that said "Men are 4 times more likely to be struck by lightning than women." I bet there are a lot of people that saw that and said "Damn I'm glad I'm a women," or "Damn being a guy is hard." BUT you have to look more into the situation and understand why that is untrue. It should have said "Men get struck by lightning on average 4 times more than women."
You've had bad experiences, but if I was you I'd look deeper into what could have caused your problems, because from my own experience and the experience of plenty of other people over a large number of miles, even going past max sidewall does not cause any problems in the situations like Bailout described.

I don't doubt that you're telling the truth about your own personal experience, but you can't ignore the data gathered by a large membership at CleanMPG for example where no one has had any issues caused from inflating tires to max sidewall or even a little above and the thing is NO ONE paid for this testing. This testing is all done by normal people like you and I and Bailout who have nothing to gain by lying about results. They're only trying to help people be less wasteful of resources and save money with safe practices which are only questioned by the industries which directly benefit from you wasting these same resources.

It's great to have a strong opinion on things, but you can't close the door to so many other peoples experiences or "testing". I'm glad I didn't. I've learned a great deal from Bailout and others like him in the different online communities. To the point where the performance I am getting out of our car is not believed by people who are still pre-believers like I once was.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #46
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisonfire View Post

You dont think that maybe your mpg went down its WINTER??
Old 12-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #47
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
You've had bad experiences, but if I was you I'd look deeper into what could have caused your problems, because from my own experience and the experience of plenty of other people over a large number of miles, even going past max sidewall does not cause any problems in the situations like Bailout described.

I don't doubt that you're telling the truth about your own personal experience, but you can't ignore the data gathered by a large membership at CleanMPG for example where no one has had any issues caused from inflating tires to max sidewall or even a little above and the thing is NO ONE paid for this testing. This testing is all done by normal people like you and I and Bailout who have nothing to gain by lying about results. They're only trying to help people be less wasteful of resources and save money with safe practices which are only questioned by the industries which directly benefit from you wasting these same resources.

It's great to have a strong opinion on things, but you can't close the door to so many other peoples experiences or "testing". I'm glad I didn't. I've learned a great deal from Bailout and others like him in the different online communities. To the point where the performance I am getting out of our car is not believed by people who are still pre-believers like I once was.
Well Im happy with getting 44 mpg with no hypermilling techs!
Old 12-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #48
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
well i put 100 psi into my 205/40/17's... it hasn't popped yet...(just so you know this was a joke)

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #49
JetfireK

Drives: 2008 3 Dr Liftback
When the salesman delivered my Yaris to my home he showed me these Green Tire "Caps"(where you put air in the tire ) He said the tires had nitrogen in them! That they would hold the pressure better than air? So far, So good! And I think someone special ordered this car and then rejected it...Thank goodness for unanswered prayers.

I had ordered a "sport" 3 door liftback from a salesman in New Orleans! I waited three months for my Sport Yaris to come in. THEN I LEARNED....Japan does not ship the Sport to America (they could now? but not then-three months ago).

I then ordered my Yaris from Slidell LA and told he salesman to find me the closest car to the Sport; to which he did.
It came with all the airbags/cd player/mp3 ready/Automatic/tinted windows/15" wheels and sporty rims.
I added the GPS/Backup Camera/Viper Alarm/Scan Guage/ lots of trim and if I could find out how to make the GARAGE I once had no this site I would take pictures...I love the color..Meteorite Matellic..I sold my new Lexus to buy this darling car...and the only thing I miss is the cornering lights my Lexus had...Nothing else....

If you know how I can make my Yaris Garage again I sure would appeciate your telling me..
JetfireK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:26 PM   #50
voodoo22

Quote:
Whatever that means.

I'm always trying to do my best to not waste and cannot understand why someone would brag about underachieving well. I highly doubt you can achieve over 44 mpg on tanks without engaging in common sense, disciplined driving which "others" would label as "hypermiling".
Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 PM   #51
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Quote:
Ummm, yea, please tell me what you do -- I want to do it, too!

I, "hypermile," and I am only getting a paltry 36MPG. Did you rub cheetah blood on your engine block while doing the hokey pokey or soemthing?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #52
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
Ummm, yea, please tell me what you do -- I want to do it, too!

I, "hypermile," and I am only getting a paltry 36MPG. Did you rub cheetah blood on your engine block while doing the hokey pokey or soemthing?
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #53
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
generally i run 5-10 psi under max depending on the tire...keep in mind, the more the pressure the less the contact patch of the tire. while that smaller contact patch means less resistance and therefore better milage, it also hurts your traction if you inflate too far...and thats not so good.

just watch your shift points and keep your foot out of it, these cars can get 40+ mpg in stock form with ease if you take it easy.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:00 AM   #54
b_hickman11

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
Whatever that means.

I'm always trying to do my best to not waste and cannot understand why someone would brag about underachieving well. I highly doubt you can achieve over 44 mpg on tanks without engaging in common sense, disciplined driving which "others" would label as "hypermiling".

So putting 50 psi in a tire is "disciplined driving?"