Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2009, 12:42 PM   #55
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Depends on the tires, different makes have different limits...
I've got my standard 15" (2008 2-door liftback) inflated to 38... Were at 26 when I got around to checking them (after buying it "new")... Expect to see some improvement in mpg at this level.
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #56
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
hay guys my 08 lb has 45000 miles on it i had the cat changed by toyota at least 10,000 miles ago and i still get the shitty smell when i stand on it for a block straight or more and if i roll the throttle to the floor without getting the auto trand to kick down this has done this from day one when i got purchased the car from the dealer . can someone re flash the ecu in the car to stop this problem i here its dumping to much fuel in it and the smell is the cat doing its job someone help me please this is getting old right along with the piss poor millage i get off and on also i burn chevron premium or shell and texeco fuels thanks oh i run momo 15" wheels with 195-55-15 tires with more air in them than i really like due to the harsh ride

Last edited by pennyracer; 02-28-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: left a few details out
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:30 PM   #57
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
are you normally running at any specific speed? and what gear are you normally in?
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #58
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
just to update. I have been getting 24-25 city mileage lately. This is REAL city driving. like half traffic half moving sometimes.

i have been slightly more gentle in between lights...i suffer from split personalities (one race car driver, and one conservationist)

I think my low (around 20) was due to snow, extremely cold temps, lots of short drives, excessive acceleration, and MAYBE the fact that its brand new, although this theory is questionable.

i now have 3500 miles and im torn between changing the oil ASAP or waiting til the recommended period. I know folks have thoughts on that, so i wont even ask. i may just do 4000..seems like a happy medium.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #59
pennyracer
boydstir

Drives: 08 yaris liftback
Send a message via AIM to pennyracer Send a message via Yahoo to pennyracer
i have a automatic trans and i dont drive it like i stolled it very often :)
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #60
rdenisonjr
REDyaris

Drives: 2008 Sedan
great gas mileage

Two weeks ago i picked up my 2008 Yaris sedan -- first tank 36.8, second tank 38.1, third tank 40.2 mpg. I drive gently and haven't tried any hypermiling techniques. I drive about 40 percent highway, 60 percent around town.
rdenisonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 AM   #61
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYaris View Post
just to update. I have been getting 24-25 city mileage lately. This is REAL city driving. like half traffic half moving sometimes.

i have been slightly more gentle in between lights...i suffer from split personalities (one race car driver, and one conservationist)

I think my low (around 20) was due to snow, extremely cold temps, lots of short drives, excessive acceleration, and MAYBE the fact that its brand new, although this theory is questionable.

i now have 3500 miles and im torn between changing the oil ASAP or waiting til the recommended period. I know folks have thoughts on that, so i wont even ask. i may just do 4000..seems like a happy medium.
that mpg sounds reasonable if your speeds are low like that most of the time... i.e. stuck in traffic, not getting into 3rd very often, rarely into 4th
Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 AM   #62
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i bet you its the calculator...give us ur conversion.....what unit are you using??
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 PM   #63
yaris prime
Yes- I fit in it.

Drives: 2007 Yaris liftback, MT
I just figured out my first tank.... 37.62 mpg. I guess I can't complain too much coming from about 20mpg.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 PM   #64
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
wow...20s is WAY off...i have 17s with way oversized tread...much wider and taller than factory tires...i do mostly city driving, and i drive like i stole it half the time...and i havent ever gone below mid 30's.

if you are actually getting 20mpg i would wager the check engine light is on or should be on, cause that lil bugger is running pig rich!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #65
otterhere

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3-door Meteorite
I'd be crying if I were getting 20; my 29 (city) to 36 (hwy) is bad enough when I read about others supposedly getting 42-50 without even trying. It's rather disappointing.

Have you solved the mystery yet???
otterhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #66
briman

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris, automatic
I've never got 39mpg. 35 at the very best.

I have an auto coup 08. City driving I'm in the mid 20's. Highway I'm at low 30s. I drive at about 75mph on the highway. I'm disappointed. Is this normal or should I take it in and complain?
briman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #67
silver_echo
ekodrvr

what is your speed in town? average?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:24 AM   #68
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:

During warm up the engine runs richer and a higher RPM. For the first two miles in warm weather you won't go above 20 MPG. Cold weather would make this worst. Add to that a lot of short trips where the engine never fully warms up and you get the kind of mileage you're getting. It takes three mile in SoCal to get the engine to operating temperature and then your MPG goes to the 30's. Hang in there!
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #69
yopauly

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Quote:

I actually did my first oil change around 2k. Kinda the old school way. I think when I rebuilt my motor for my 77 TA I changed the oil after 10hrs.

Also.....all I run is Mobil 1 Synthetic with the factory filters. Never before did I do this till I bought new.
yopauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #70
yopauly

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Forgot to add that the worst FE I have gotten is 26 while delivering pizzas and the best so far is 35.....I think.
yopauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #71
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yopauly View Post
I actually did my first oil change around 2k. Kinda the old school way. I think when I rebuilt my motor for my 77 TA I changed the oil after 10hrs.

Also.....all I run is Mobil 1 Synthetic with the factory filters. Never before did I do this till I bought new.
ok, well, your old school v8s should actually be changed in a few minutes after running. older engine tolerances arent as exact as the new engines, meaning that when the piston rings are grinding up against the rough cylinder wall edges, they are in the process of "seating". not only are they forming a seal, they are creating alot of very small metal shavings in the process.

with that being said, on alot of high performance engines i have helped build, we have fired them up, and changed the oil after running for 10 or so minutes, changed the oil, then, ran oil in it for a while during a hard run(if its in the car, take it out and run it through the RPM ranges) and then change it again.

using synthetic oil on ANY engine near the break in point is not a good idea, the molecules in most synthetics are so fine, that sometimes a proper ring seat is never achived because there isnt enough friction. as time goes on, more and more auto manufactures claim their engines do not need break in time, and that synthetics are ok from the start.

my personal recommendation for breaking a new car in...

run the factory oil in it for a day. drive the car through all the RPM ranges, even close to redline. dont push the car hard up hills or be abusive, but never granny it. run it through all the ranges at a steady pace, and never keep the RPM's the same for a extended period(if you are commuting, bounce between 3rd, 4th, and 5th if its a manual). change the oil with a high quality petrolium based motor oil of the vehicles recommended weight. run that oil for a few hundred miles and replace it with the same stuff.

if you plan to run synthetics, start running a blend no sooner than 5,000 miles. for the first few thousand miles, change the oil every 3k, sooner if you are doing city driving, lots of idleing, or start up-shut off driving.

after at least 10k, start with synthetics. you can start stretching the oil change intervals out if you have a high grade synthetic.

personally, i go:

100 miles or less(regular oil change)
300-500 miles(regular oil change)
3000 miles (regular oil change)
6000 miles (synthetic blend oil change)
every 3k a syn blend oil change(i do mostly city driving).

this is a VERY excessive and overly carefull break in process. you dont have to do it, you dont really need to do it. but, if you want to do things perfectly and you want to keep the car till it dies, its a few more bucks on oil changes, but its the obsessive way to do it.

p.s. forgot to mention. the side affect to piston rings not seating is oil consumption at later milage. most imports make it alot of miles before oil burning regardless of how they were maintained...im just obsessive compulsive on the proper break in stuff,lol.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:22 PM   #72
dccurrent

Drives: Yaris 5 door Liftback
Gentlemen, how are you able to determine exactly how much gasoline was used up to do a mileage test? I was never clear on how someone obtains exact numbers to the tenth like the type posted here in this thread and other places. How do you know you used 1.6 gallons, 4.3 gallons, etc.?
dccurrent is offline   Reply With Quote