Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-29-2006, 02:02 AM   #19
JustAnotherAsian
now in HD

Drives: not yaris!
Send a message via AIM to JustAnotherAsian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde
autometer is just plain lame, i cant see why anyone want those ugly things in their car.
true, but i wouldn't mind the nexus lineup.

on the other hand, the electroluminecent (like the yaris' gauges) defi-link gauges seem better indeed- i can imagine a medium-sized tach on the center panel, and two other smaller ones on either side of it, or their defi-link 3-gauge din/iso mount (though it isn't electroluminecent- just conventional lighting ).
Old 08-29-2006, 02:06 AM   #20
dngz

Drives: black yaris sedan
therez this thing that you put under your windshield and it acts as an heads up display. forgot what its called but i saw it in modifiedmag
dngz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 05:37 AM   #21
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
btw
i'm waiting for my Blitz R-VIT i-Color. apparently, we can adjust a/f ratio with it as well. that function only works on late model toyota cars.
I think u also need to wire it into the ECU somehow, not just the diagnostic plug underneath.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:57 AM   #22
paultyler_82

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherAsian
true, but i wouldn't mind the nexus lineup.

on the other hand, the electroluminecent (like the yaris' gauges) defi-link gauges seem better indeed- i can imagine a medium-sized tach on the center panel, and two other smaller ones on either side of it, or their defi-link 3-gauge din/iso mount (though it isn't electroluminecent- just conventional lighting ).

Yaris gauges arent EL, the Liftbacks are Optitron, and the Sedans are conventional backlit, there's a big difference, EL is flat printed material that works in a matter similar to other types of fluorescents. Optitron is High contrast LED behind a smoked acrylic dispersion layer. Optitron is also many times more efficient and reliable than EL.
paultyler_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 05:03 AM   #23
JustAnotherAsian
now in HD

Drives: not yaris!
Send a message via AIM to JustAnotherAsian
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler_82
Yaris gauges arent EL, the Liftbacks are Optitron, and the Sedans are conventional backlit, there's a big difference, EL is flat printed material that works in a matter similar to other types of fluorescents. Optitron is High contrast LED behind a smoked acrylic dispersion layer. Optitron is also many times more efficient and reliable than EL.
sigh*

well, i meant optitron-like. you're right on the electroluminecent point- my optitron gauges (before they were called "optitron") on my lexus were incorrectly called electroluminecent (by lexus itself via booklets, manuals, and many magazines).

lexus had this crap for a long time under "electroluminecent gauges" (for both LED-behind-smoked-layer and true electroluminecent a la 2nd gen GS), i guess someone pointed the real use for the word "electroluminecent" (what you mentioned a la gen 9.0 corolla (bright green gauges) and those commonly seen bright-blue/green gauges).

but my point: optitron is more of a trademark than the actual term for those gauges. i don't know what to call those aftermarket gauges that are like the optitrons (backlit behind smoked layer). so i guess "optitron-like" is good for now and better than "electrolumecent".

sorry.

good thing someone's nitpicky here. lol.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:57 AM   #24
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherAsian
sigh*

well, i meant optitron-like. you're right on the electroluminecent point- my optitron gauges (before they were called "optitron") on my lexus were incorrectly called electroluminecent (by lexus itself via booklets, manuals, and many magazines).

lexus had this crap for a long time under "electroluminecent gauges" (for both LED-behind-smoked-layer and true electroluminecent a la 2nd gen GS), i guess someone pointed the real use for the word "electroluminecent" (what you mentioned a la gen 9.0 corolla (bright green gauges) and those commonly seen bright-blue/green gauges).

but my point: optitron is more of a trademark than the actual term for those gauges. i don't know what to call those aftermarket gauges that are like the optitrons (backlit behind smoked layer). so i guess "optitron-like" is good for now and better than "electrolumecent".

sorry.

good thing someone's nitpicky here. lol.

Yeah yeah, I know I am, didn't really mean to, my main point, although I seemed to have glazed it over, is that true EL isn't very reliable, I wouldn't go with EL, but anything "Optitron-Like" would be a good route, especially with white illumination and red needle, I think that would match the OE guages the best. I kind of miss the standard backlit style... just so many modification possibilities... like this for instance: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v5...gAnch=imgAnch7

Last edited by paultyler_82; 08-30-2006 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:29 AM   #25
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Was looking at the Blitz controller and was wondering how much they ran?? Then what sites that are in English please that carry them. I was wondering if it was worth the extra cash to get the Blitz versus the simple Scangauge II.

Quote:
btw
i'm waiting for my Blitz R-VIT i-Color. apparently, we can adjust a/f ratio with it as well. that function only works on late model toyota cars.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:17 AM   #26
Yaris Yaba

Drives: 07yaris5d
Here are some night shots of the gauges not the TRD ones but some aftermarket, i rekon it looks better.... this guy painted his streering wheel the same color as his center consol, i guess its a new DIY mod.

Yaris Yaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #27
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Hey what kind of guages are those? it looks like a pretty sweet setup!
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #28
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
That actually was starting to look like a car... instead of a kart haha.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #29
spacemanoeuvres
spase peepole

Drives: BLAZING BLUE Liftback 5 Speed
this setup was my first choice when researching an aftermarket tach.

unfortunately the cost is prohibitive, especially when you consider the reason(s) many of us purchased this car.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:07 AM   #30
Yaris Yaba

Drives: 07yaris5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy
Hey what kind of guages are those? it looks like a pretty sweet setup!
there probaly making replica TRD clusters now........ i can feel it. Dont know what the center gauge is but the left and right ones come from spider.

at ebay if intrested.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...trypage=search
Yaris Yaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:34 AM   #31
riceboy

Drives: icebox
I wouldn't mind buying a replica TRD housing, that way I can install my own guages.... please let us know if you hear anything about it...
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 12:39 PM   #32
ChinoCharles
Banned

The housing would be superb. Screw paying $1150 or whatever the hell someone was asking for the gauges.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:00 PM   #33
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Im going digital.. much cleaner IMO.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 01:40 PM   #34
ChinoCharles
Banned

I want to go HUD with a tach but I haven't found one that impressed me all that much yet. I'm also worried about the accuracy/speed of response.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #35
田中秀樹

Drives: SW20
yes these are expensive. no he's not trying to rip you off with the price. if he takes your money and you get jack crap then yeah that's ripped off.

brand new this set costs 141,750円, with the rate going on right now that is $1209.41.
田中秀樹 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:54 AM   #36
paultyler_82

Quote:
Originally Posted by 田中秀樹
yes these are expensive. no he's not trying to rip you off with the price. if he takes your money and you get jack crap then yeah that's ripped off.

brand new this set costs 141,750円, with the rate going on right now that is $1209.41.
I don't think they're trying to say the seller is ripping anyone off... but more or less that the price is a ripoff, which in this case is TRD's fault... but then, TRD has a history of selling overpriced hardware to Toyota enthusiasts.