Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #37
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by The little red pill View Post
Exactly! I average about 33-36 driving very easy and rarely use a/c, mostly highway driving at 60mph. I question the techniques of some of the people who go 75 mph+ with a/c going that claim 40+ mpg. I'm very specific about my recording technique and have been through Calculus II in college so I know my calculations. lol

Ambient temperature plays a HUGE factor in fuel economy, I've noticed the 1NZ-FE is particularly sensitive to incoming air temperature, when it comes to overall fuel-economy.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #38
Steveh27

Drives: 2010 3dr hatchback auto red
my first drive

My first check of mpg was on a 120 mile stretch of I94, going 74 mph using cruise control with the AC on. It was in the mid 80's outside. I write down the odometer reading when filling the tank. I got 39.6 mph. Tires had 32 psi.

In town I've gotten between 33.5-36 mpg.
Steveh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #39
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
my wife' yaris has a roughly 5 mile one way trip to work. lots of stop and go. Her tank gets filled around 270 miles. Her avg mpg is 26-28; she puts in 10 gallons give or take a few ounces. The yaris is a 2007 with around 18,000

My honda civic has a 26 mile one way trip to work. mix of stop and go and over 2 mile cruising areas.I fill up anywhere between 320-390 miles. I put between 11-12 gallons; I avg 30-33 mpg. my civic is 10 years old now with 115,000 miles

its more than driving habits when it comes to mpg.
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #40
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The EPA may have that number representing the Yaris but obviously Toyota Approves of it as thats the numbers it posts on its website,
My car with no mods and 35psi in the tires gets 44 to 45mpg when cruising on the highway at 70mph and if i go 55mph that figure goes up close to 50mpg,there may be many people who are looking for a car with that kind of economy as an alternative to a hybrid but if Toyota is advertising 29/36 rather than 38/50 those people may look elsewhere.
That's pretty good. If I average 70 MPH, I usually get 35-36 MPG and if I'm fortunate 37 MPG. I've been able to get 39 MPG only driving 55 MPH one way and 70 MPH on the way back hitting traffic. 60 MPH usually yields 37-38 MPG for me.

There's a lot of factors that affect the MPG such as terrain, weather, A/C, driving style, tire pressure, ethanol gas, etc. The old EPA standards used to have a professional driver drive at 50 MPH on a closed circuit course. The newer EPA standards (2008) are supposed to bring more realistic results of people driving above the speed limit using A/C, etc. Easy going driving will yield results like yours and many can beat the new EPA standards.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #41
D Unit

Drives: Mini Cooper S
How big of a factor is the transmission (manual vs. automatic)? I also have a 2008 Scion XB and average about 28 to 29 mpg (70 highway/30 city) in my automatic, but the manual tranny guys average anywhere from 2 to 4 miles better. Is it the similar situation in the Yaris world too?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #42
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Pretty much, but some automatics have gotten 40+mpg. I have an 07 auto modded, and a stock 09 manual. My modified auto gets about 36 on the highway, while the stock 09 manual gets 44.

Mods on mine are the RS front bumper, VIS vented carbon fibre hood, C-ONE replica carbon fibre spoiler, DC sports header, NST lite pulley set, AEM CAI, 17" drag dr-9 wheels with nitto neo gen tires, and a 1zz TB swap (they weigh 40lbs total each, vs. 33lbs for the stock 15" steely). *mods i've done that could affect MPG
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #43
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
wonder how much fuel saving tires could help bump up the gas mileage ? 2 > 4 ? Anyone actually put these on their YARIS with better m.p.g.s ?
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #44
KrazyDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
wonder how much fuel saving tires could help bump up the gas mileage ? 2 > 4 ? Anyone actually put these on their YARIS with better m.p.g.s ?
I plan on getting the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 (summer tires) when my tires need to be replaced. Look for rebates since they come out frequently at Costco or America's Tires. TireRack did testing on some LRR tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=121

I had Michelin HydroEdge tires on my 95 Civic. It's hard to say how much of an improvement there was since my commute changed a few months after the install from 60 miles (no traffic) to 130 miles (moderate to heavy traffic). I was also driving 70+ MPH. If you want to check out the gaslog it's available at http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/1277

Last edited by KrazyDawg; 07-21-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #45
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Oh, and for those that don't like people posting about their FE here's a tip-don't read FE threads!
Old 07-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #46
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
hahaha. Sorry to everyone in this thread, I searched ebay for panty untwisters to no avail.

I hold by my statement. Read redlittlepill and wsla's posts. You are all padding your numbers, or doing something unsafe. At least bailout admits he does dumb stuff like 60 psi and shutting the engine off going down hill.

The average driver won't drive enough city, won't drive enough long trips, and won't accelerate slow enough to ever see 40 mpg. Congrats if you do(and you aren't lying like 99% of people who feel the need to post their mpg on the internet).
I'm actually kinda suprised you hang here if were a bunch of liars! Not sure why you got that jaded, but it is what it is. I keep my tires at 38psi and I do admit My driving habits have mellowed since I got the Yaris, but only in the respect that I'm aware of avoiding quick starts off the line and I dont do 80+ on the highway on my way home. I stick closer to 70-75 and I use the AC alot. Use cruise alot too, but that mostly cause of brainfade while listening to music. I routinely get 38 to 39mpg with it like it is...stock except the tire pressure, my spoiler I bought on ebay and the rear swaybar from microimage (I want to be honest about it ya know....)
On the tire pressure thing, I don't believe in going over the max sidewall pressure in any situation. Realize that the mfg rating is a compromise between handling and comfort. The softer tire rides better , but rolls over when handling. The higher pressure handles good but rides real stiff and is harder on the suspension. You may or may not know that the softer (32psi) actually runs hotter and more prone to blow outs than a higher pressure due to increased rolling resistance. An under inflated tire is as much if not more un-safe than than a slightly over inflated tire due to that. I run 38 because for me, going higher just gets too rough. As it is, people still comment on how good it rides for a small car! I have gotten over 40 twice on a 99% highway trip at 70-75 with ac, so it is possible without trying very hard. I wonder if, since you are in New Mexico, that your altitude is much higher and that's why yours is lower? I'm at like 700 ft above. but the humidity here sucks big time!!! I don't care if it is better on mileage,I'd give up 3-4 mpg to have the Colorado humidity back.
Oh yeah, mine is a 2010 sedan w/automatic
Old 07-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #47
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
I'm actually kinda suprised you hang here if were a bunch of liars! Not sure why you got that jaded, but it is what it is. I keep my tires at 38psi and I do admit My driving habits have mellowed since I got the Yaris, but only in the respect that I'm aware of avoiding quick starts off the line and I dont do 80+ on the highway on my way home. I stick closer to 70-75 and I use the AC alot. Use cruise alot too, but that mostly cause of brainfade while listening to music. I routinely get 38 to 39mpg with it like it is...stock except the tire pressure, my spoiler I bought on ebay and the rear swaybar from microimage (I want to be honest about it ya know....)
On the tire pressure thing, I don't believe in going over the max sidewall pressure in any situation. Realize that the mfg rating is a compromise between handling and comfort. The softer tire rides better , but rolls over when handling. The higher pressure handles good but rides real stiff and is harder on the suspension. You may or may not know that the softer (32psi) actually runs hotter and more prone to blow outs than a higher pressure due to increased rolling resistance. An under inflated tire is as much if not more un-safe than than a slightly over inflated tire due to that. I run 38 because for me, going higher just gets too rough. As it is, people still comment on how good it rides for a small car! I have gotten over 40 twice on a 99% highway trip at 70-75 with ac, so it is possible without trying very hard. I wonder if, since you are in New Mexico, that your altitude is much higher and that's why yours is lower? I'm at like 700 ft above. but the humidity here sucks big time!!! I don't care if it is better on mileage,I'd give up 3-4 mpg to have the Colorado humidity back.
Oh yeah, mine is a 2010 sedan w/automatic
Everything you've said is believable, and you're not breaking 40 even with conservative driving(unless as you say its a 99% hwy trip). Are we seeing a pattern yet?

Safe/Sane the yaris won't break 40 mpg in MOST conditions. Breaking laws and driving unsafely, its easy to get most 4 cylinder light cars above 40 mpg.

And I never said I don't like reading the FE/fantasy threads. I enjoy it thoroughly.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #48
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Unit View Post
How big of a factor is the transmission (manual vs. automatic)? I also have a 2008 Scion XB and average about 28 to 29 mpg (70 highway/30 city) in my automatic, but the manual tranny guys average anywhere from 2 to 4 miles better. Is it the similar situation in the Yaris world too?
Yep-the auto is harder on FE. It's just not as efficient a means of transferringpower. The real killer in my case (especially in the winter) is the fact fourth gear is locked out until the engine gets warmed up which when extremely cold can take miles. Since most of my trips tend to be 10 miles or so, it makes quite an impact. An engine block heater helps some in this regard.

Still love the auto though!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 AM   #49
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
I actually managed to crack 41mpg with my automatic. Ran about 60mph for 98% of a trip to Ottawa, with only very minor (under five minutes) stops, once for gas, another for food, then parked once overnight and returned home the next day.

This was in the full-tilt heat of the summer (a scorching 30 degrees celcius at a minimum all day long). I ran with my front windows down, and the rears cracked open a bit. To note: I carry lots of "extra" junk in my car, blow-out first aid kit, rescue and recovery tools, survival equipment, work briefcase and suitcase, car-washing stuff, etc. Basically, I'm always towing around an extra couple hundred pounds of gear.

My A/C generally only gets used when I have passengers in the vehicle. I also don't do any serious hypermiling, minus shutting down the engine at a train-crossing in use, DFCO'ing downhill, running my tires at 42PSI in the front, 40PSI in the rear, and maintaining a steady speed below 65mph (and obeying posted limits in-town).

I seem to average 36mpg with modest driving nowadays, and an average of 38mpg when I take it on a trip with 95%+ highway rolling.

Those MPG's, of course, began after I thought I had heard the engine shear itself to death...

And yep, ain't ever giving up my slushbox. The manual box is hoots of fun, until you get caught in a traffic-jam.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:07 AM   #50
shinlee

Drives: 07 liftback
i do mostly city driving now, and I get 36 in the city, with ac, in a 5speed, and I drive as firemachine69 put it, like an ass hat some days....

when it was listed at 36/40 backin 07, i would only go slightly over that mark some times, but at 29/36... that's ridiculous
Old 07-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #51
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
"but when I went to the Toyota site, it's listed only at 29/36."
A quote from another forum when i suggested the Yaris for the op's search for an economical car thats not a hybrid
I'm sure every one here knows the Yaris is easily capable of +40mpg with easy driving style, how come Toyota hasnt figured it out?.
In fact its almost as if Toyota doesnt like the Yaris as i see no advertising for the Yaris lineup
They do have some Yaris advertisements, but Yaris isn't a big moneymaker. They make more off the Corolla so you probably see more Corolla ads. I think the Yaris is more for a European and Asia market and they sell it here because its a model that has some limited appeal. Most families won't consider it, just people like us, who for some strange reason, love it.

The Yaris, with some very simple changes, i.e., smaller engine and diesel engine, could get 40+ MPG on the EPA tests.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #52
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
Exactly. I'm running Falken 502's @ 40 PSI all around without hypermiling, and right now I'm averaging 36/38 MPG. Anyone who's claiming MPG readings close to 30 is full of shit. Sorry
I get 33 mpg. =[
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #53
KrazyDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
They do have some Yaris advertisements, but Yaris isn't a big moneymaker. They make more off the Corolla so you probably see more Corolla ads. I think the Yaris is more for a European and Asia market and they sell it here because its a model that has some limited appeal. Most families won't consider it, just people like us, who for some strange reason, love it.

The Yaris, with some very simple changes, i.e., smaller engine and diesel engine, could get 40+ MPG on the EPA tests.
I got the Yaris hatchback not only for the gas mileage but for the smaller size to park in major cities like San Francisco. There are still only some parking spots that are small enough for a Smart Car when parking in residential areas.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #54
michaelhay

Drives: 2010 5-door hatchback
Question "a Little Care"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41magmag41 View Post
I routinly get 38 to 41 with my sedan with an automatic and a/c on the interstate running 75 or so. The yaris is capable of excellent mileage with a little care.
MagMag, Cool, I'd like to get the same!
I get about 35MPg with 70% Freeway going 70mph / 30% City with no AC.
What do you mean by "a little care"... I thought I was careful but I may need a little more care

Thanks
michaelhay is offline   Reply With Quote