Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #73
PhotoDu.de

Drives: Yaris, duh
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
Otherwise, someday, someone will place you in a dangerous position after they cut you off, and you'll have nowhere to go except the oncoming traffic, or the ditch.
You can go the speed limit, or even a little slower, without cutting people off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
And if someone chooses to tailgate you, slowing down and brake checking cures that really really fast.
I have to agree with you on the slowing down, but please don't brake check people. It might cause an accident.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #74
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDu.de View Post
I have to agree with you on the slowing down, but please don't brake check people. It might cause an accident.
I agree. You cannot call yourself a safe & responsible driver if you 'brake check' people. In a way, it makes you a worse driver than the person tailgating you because you are intentionally trying to cause harm to them.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #75
KrazyDawg

Drives: 08 3dr LB AT
Quote:
Okay, you win for going the whole way, but could you up it to say 45 mpg, instead of leaving it at just 40?
Updated to 50 MPG and attached the spreadsheet. Only the price needs to be changed to adjust the values.

KrazyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #76
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
I agree. You cannot call yourself a safe & responsible driver if you 'brake check' people. In a way, it makes you a worse driver than the person tailgating you because you are intentionally trying to cause harm to them.
Not true. I wouldn't stop, that would be idiotic, I don't want to deal with an accident, but you can do it well enough to scare the crap out of the person behind you without slowing down to much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyDawg View Post
Updated to 50 MPG and attached the spreadsheet. Only the price needs to be changed to adjust the values.
You are awesome.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #77
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
Quote:
Not true. I wouldn't stop, that would be idiotic, I don't want to deal with an accident, but you can do it well enough to scare the crap out of the person behind you without slowing down to much.
You still risk causing the guy behind you to swerve into someone else because they think you are stopping or maybe the guy gets pissed and rams you or engages in some other physical contact. I've seen people at toll booths get out and start swinging over something stupid like being cut-off or whatnot. Just not worth doing....it really is irresponsible and reckless. Just take the high road and ignore the fools.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #78
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
You still risk causing the guy behind you to swerve into someone else because they think you are stopping or maybe the guy gets pissed and rams you or engages in some other physical contact. I've seen people at toll booths get out and start swinging over something stupid like being cut-off or whatnot. Just not worth doing....it really is irresponsible and reckless. Just take the high road and ignore the fools.
I cant control what other people do. I'd love someone to try and take me on, it is usually pretty funny stuff with them running away rather fast.

But people get the point really fast. It is irresponsible to tailgate, it is my job to defend myself from idiots.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #79
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
it is my job to defend myself from idiots.

The only way to truly do that is to not leave your house

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #80
Slitwrist Smile

Drives: 2008 yari sedan/2007 sc'd tC
Quote:
I cant control what other people do. I'd love someone to try and take me on, it is usually pretty funny stuff with them running away rather fast.

But people get the point really fast. It is irresponsible to tailgate, it is my job to defend myself from idiots.
Hey chuck norris, when are you going to do some new movies?
Slitwrist Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 AM   #81
PhotoDu.de

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
The only way to truly do that is to not leave your house
Make sure you don't turn on your TV or get into a "debate" about climate change with people on this forum.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #82
Snowy
Snowy

Drives: 2 door 5-speed hatchback
My experience

I wish it wasn't so, although I was not unhappy with my gas mileage until reading this thread. I've had the car a tad over 2 years and get just about exactly what the Yaris is rated for in gas mileage: consistently 28 to 30 around town and 32 to 35 on the highway. In fact I just got back from the gas station and my road trip yesterday took me 335 miles at just a little over 35 MPG on wide open freeways with no traffic.

ONE time I got 42 MPG on on leg of a road trip and have not yet been able to repeat that or even get close.

I'm certainly not disputing all of the people getting consistently higher mileage, I just wonder why I'm not one of them. I don't have cruise control and haven't checked to see if my tire pressure is on the high side of the range but I'll certainly try that starting tomorrow.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #83
PhotoDu.de

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I wish it wasn't so, although I was not unhappy with my gas mileage until reading this thread. I've had the car a tad over 2 years and get just about exactly what the Yaris is rated for in gas mileage: consistently 28 to 30 around town and 32 to 35 on the highway. In fact I just got back from the gas station and my road trip yesterday took me 335 miles at just a little over 35 MPG on wide open freeways with no traffic.

ONE time I got 42 MPG on on leg of a road trip and have not yet been able to repeat that or even get close.

I'm certainly not disputing all of the people getting consistently higher mileage, I just wonder why I'm not one of them. I don't have cruise control and haven't checked to see if my tire pressure is on the high side of the range but I'll certainly try that starting tomorrow.
A lot of it has to do with driving style.

Recently I went on a transcontinental road trip. When I was driving I got 5+ more mpg than my fiancee/friends. I think at one point I got 37mpg; the car is rated for 25 highway (2003 Mitsubishi Galant).
Old 09-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #84
landrym28
3,300+ at one point.. >:(

Drives: 2010 Hatchback RS
Send a message via MSN to landrym28
I don't know if this was mentioned, but the reason why Toyota doesn't want to say that you can do better than 29/36 is because they'd rather you buy a Prius over a Yaris, since the Yaris is a lower end, less profitable car. That's just my reasoning anyway..
Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #85
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrym28 View Post
I don't know if this was mentioned, but the reason why Toyota doesn't want to say that you can do better than 29/36 is because they'd rather you buy a Prius over a Yaris, since the Yaris is a lower end, less profitable car. That's just my reasoning anyway..
and it is false reasoning. Toyota can not advertise anything other than the government ratings.here is the government's page.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #86
Svspud
I've made a post!

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr Hatch 5 spd
Why is right, as you can see on the page, very plain and simple that is a regulated standard.

There are plenty of ways to increase milage and also decrease mileage. I drive a 2009 Hatch with a 5 spd and get 36 mpg city and 39 hwy driving normal. Driving like a jerk that goes to about 34-38 and driving using a light foot and a brain goes to 37-42. On the other hand my GF drives a 2010 Hatch with an auto and get a consistan 34 city 37 hwy. A lot of it depends on where you drive and how you drive. I know there are hypermiling techniques that can make everyone driving around you turn but thats no my style. On the other hand to thos of you getting 29-33 I am just curious where abouts you live? sea level? mountains? and no I am not starting or ending wars here just hopefully contributing to the posts!
Svspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:58 AM   #87
Callisto

Drives: '08 Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
uhhhhh. The epa figured out the 29/36. Not toyota. And the yaris can't safely get 40 mpg in most situations. It involves over inflated tires and other dangerous driving habits.
Flatly untrue. I run my tires at 35 PSI and drive like a sane person, usually accelerating slowly, but more quickly as the situation dictates. If I get less than 44MPG it is a bad tank. Sounds to me like you are trying to justify your own unsafe driving by projecting it out on others.
Callisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #88
elo179

Drives: Yaris 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
uhhhhh. The epa figured out the 29/36. Not toyota. And the yaris can't safely get 40 mpg in most situations. It involves over inflated tires and other dangerous driving habits.
I avg 38-41, and I dont do anthing special just drive. As a matter of fact I dont even do the proper maint i should. I dont rotate tires, 60k later and they are fine. I did an Air filter once about 30k miles ago. And I still avg about 38 to 40.

the worst millage I did was 120mile trip going 90+ i got like 29mpg, but that was only 1 time usally just drive 70-75
elo179 is offline   Reply With Quote