Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #19
bad
Winterizing

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I researched for months...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTVitz View Post
Check fuelly.com, about the only cars that beat the Yaris is the Prius and just barely the Smart Fourtwo. Most of the 40MPG cars are not actually achieving it and their owners are asking each other why they don't get the posted MPG on their forums.

The Yaris is very current with available technology for a 1.5 liter. Coil over ignition, variable valve timing, electronic throttle. I can't imagine what Toyota could have come up with for the 2012 yaris? Other than the 1.2 which will be coming in the IQ and the 1.8 that is in the corolla there are not any other gas choices. Diesel is nice, but costs quite a bit more per gallon and the engine is more expesive to build.
He makes the best points. I will add that if you look at forums of other cars like the fit you will find that more expensive problems happen. -- If it weren't for yarisworld.com I would probably still be trying to figure out what car to buy. The Yaris apparently only usually has an alternator or water pump go bad. And on this forum you'll be able to figure them out for cheap.
AND the yaris has a low low initial cost compared to most vehicles. AND the yaris had a chain instead of a belt which is good because if the belt breaks on an Aveo your engine is really messed up. You could use this forum to do what ever you wanted to a base model yaris for sure. This website kicks ass.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Change for the sake of change (and something to see in Motor Trend) is not the best way to do things. Automakers have proven that they sometimes have a hard time making simple things work. Cramming cars full of high tech is a recipe for long term durability issues.

Overall, Toyota still seems to build a reliable car. The biggest gripe I have with the latest batch of Toyotas is styling. Several models got uglier in the redesign. I don't care for the flat noses and high hoods that the seem to be sticking on everything.

Second biggest gripe is the feeling of cheapness that is the result of cost cutting. The plastic clutch pedal is a fine example. It just doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that it will last 20 years and go a million miles. See through paint/half-ass painted parts in the wheelwells and through the lower grill opening piss me off too.

I have been a Toyota owner since 1991, but the love of everything Toyota is not as strong as it once was.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
^
Yeah, There is much more profit in more expensive cars.

IMO, Toyota marketing has always had much to be desired as they always seem to completly ignore one model(s) or another.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
"Toyota is not as strong as it once was."

I hear this statement on forums on pretty much any make. And, in part, I agree. For instance my prelude is build more thoroughly when it comes to little things than current hondas. Those rattle all over the place. (but, don't burn oil like preludes:)). The level of redundancy when it comes to clips and fasteners is definitely greater and everything lines up well even though the car is old.

In regards to Yaris, though, I find that this is the right kind of cheapness if you will. Yes, plastics are basic, but everything fits well and works well. I'd rather see than pseudo-stylish interiors with uneven gaps and loose parts. That just annoys me.

Overall I find that current models are more build to sell than work well and last long.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #23
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
All cars become out of date soon after you buy them . My 2010 just had it's 2 year birthday without costing me anything except for routine maintenance . It was up to date when I bought it with air bags, stability control, etc. When I buy a car I buy it to drive until it's worth $50 for scrap . With just a few mild hypermileing techniques (following cars don't even realize I'm doing anything) I am consistently averaging 42 to 43 mpg (summer) . The only technology that was old, the timing chain, is a benefit . I hear on this site that the brake pads/shoes are long lasting too. This will probably be the last car I own.

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:44 PM   #24
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Seconded, Rick...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #25
Hi mpg

Drives: 2010 3dr Yaris
I traded in a Jetta Sportwagen tdi for my Yaris. I like it for it's simplicity. Good mileage, cheap maint. cost, and I love the timing chain, instead of a belt. I would love to get the diesel version. I had the chance to drive a diesel Landcruiser in Canada and it was amazing. Toyota has a freat reputation with their diesels.
Hi mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #26
racerb

Drives: 2010 Yaris HB Blazin' Blue
I'm looking to buy a Yaris because it reminds me of a VW Beetle or Opel Cadet from the '60s, just a good simple and practical car. As some of the others have said, new technoligy is great but not always needed. My wife recently took delivery of a 2011 F-150 (her company vehicle) with the Ecoboost V-6, which Ford claims to get 22 mpg. Well the best mileage we've acheived with this thing has been 18.8 on a round trip to Savannah Georgia about 600 miles total. On most trips my 2001 Tundra V-8 gets an average of 20 mpg on the interstate and normally 15-17 towing my open car trailer.

I'll take the Yaris any day, good mileage, great reliabilty, and it's a Toyota above all!!

racerb
'98 Rav4L
'01 Tundra SR5

Last edited by racerb; 11-22-2011 at 09:18 PM.
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:19 PM   #27
roadrunner
Yaris Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Silver Liftback
Economical Car It Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
The Yaris is economical car. I bought it for the fact that it would get me from point A to point B as cheaply as possible over the next 15 years. More modifications means a higher price tag. Toyota has done a poor job in selling the Yaris. The dealers try to steer you into more expensive cars while on the lot. If there was a bigger demand Toyota might put more effort into the US market.
I agree with you on all points. Depreciation is also good on the Yaris. In the past 55,000 miles, my 2007, 5 speed, hatchback has needed tires, two wiper blades, one front light bulb, and some oil changes that I did. Amazing car, and inexpensive too. I am very pleased in what this small car has cost me.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #28
TLyttle

Oh no!! My 07 sedan had another failure! First it was a faulty fuel gauge, I no longer trust it. Then the other day the airbag came on, the dealership diagnosed it as a "spiral cable failure", and ordered the part. Cost? "No cost sir, we will repair it under warranty." On a 4 year old car??? Wow.

Keep on chirping about "outdated" or "uninspiring", I am one of the reasons that the Yaris keeps its resale value; it is my car, and will be for a long, long time.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:06 AM   #29
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
I'm looking to buy a Yaris because it reminds me of a VW Beetle or Opel Cadet from the '60s, just a good simple and practical car. As some of the others have said, new technoligy is great but not always needed. My wife recently took delivery of a 2011 F-150 (her company vehicle) with the Ecoboost V-6, which Ford claims to get 22 mpg. Well the best mileage we've acheived with this thing has been 18.8 on a round trip to Savannah Georgia about 600 miles total. On most trips my 2001 Tundra V-8 gets an average of 20 mpg on the interstate and normally 15-17 towing my open car trailer.

I'll take the Yaris any day, good mileage, great reliabilty, and it's a Toyota above all!!

racerb
Amen Brother!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #30
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Oh no!! My 07 sedan had another failure! First it was a faulty fuel gauge, I no longer trust it. Then the other day the airbag came on, the dealership diagnosed it as a "spiral cable failure", and ordered the part. Cost? "No cost sir, we will repair it under warranty." On a 4 year old car??? Wow.

Keep on chirping about "outdated" or "uninspiring", I am one of the reasons that the Yaris keeps its resale value; it is my car, and will be for a long, long time.
Amen Brother!

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #31
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
FYI, I've been told that safety features like seatbelts, the airbag wiring and such HAVE to be functional for the life of the car unless its due to a wreck or abuse. We had a like 98-99 camry wagon for awhile, which had the motorized seatbelts that you didnt have to undo, it would move out of the way. Well in the mid 2005-6 area the motor went bad.Toyota covered it because its a basic safety system and has to be functional per goverment mandate......no charge!
Old 12-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #32
Nanook

Drives: 2011 3dr hatch
I'm not sure if the engine would warrant a 6spd. It may not be strong enough to hold a higher gear. What I would like to see though is an AWD version brought to America.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #33
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
What I would like to see though is an AWD version brought to America.
Before Yaris and before ECHO there was...

Tercel AWD!

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/4064413
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #34
Captain Slow
My Face Is Ridiculous

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3dr LB
diesel? ugh.

I'll take my peppy little gasoline engine that still gets 30mpgs in the city. compared to 99% of the other cars made in the last decade that is an incredible number ;)
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #35
rick996

Drives: 2010 5 door hatch w/5 sp man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yar Is Word View Post
Before Yaris and before ECHO there was...

Tercel AWD!

http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/4064413
And before Yaris and before ECHO there was...

The Justy!

rick996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #36
TLyttle

Justy?? Hawww... Wasn't the Tercel before that? We still see them around here, godknowshowmany miles on them, still running just fine. Bodies ain't what they used to be, just like my mom's Corona: without the corrosion, I think most Toyotas would still be on the road...