Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 AM   #55
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin5000 View Post
Diesels and hybrids are good. Manufacturers are finding that people WILL pay a premium for efficient cars.
Which car would cost LESS to buy and drive for 100,000 miles, a Prius or a Yaris?

Well, lets see!

Yaris = $15,000

Prius = $25,000

Oh my my my you just spent $10,000 more if you bought a Pruis!

Now for 100,000 miles at $3 a gallon assuming your Prius gets 40 miles per gallon you are going to spend $7500 for gas.

At 30 mpg for the Yaris you will spend $10,000.

Well gee golly willikers you spent $10,000 more and SAVED $2500 by buying a Prius instead of a Yaris!

That cost you $7500!

What you did was take the money you would have given to Exxon and gave it instead to Toyota! And, you're so considerate of others, you gave Toyota a $7500 BONUS besides!
How NICE of you!

And all because you want to drive a more fuel efficient car!

Last edited by bronsin; 12-27-2011 at 05:45 AM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #56
Still Learning

Drives: 07 Yaris 3Dr HB
That doesn't even take into consideration all the batteries that you have to eventually replace in the Prius.
Still Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #57
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Not so far, by what I hear. Our local dealer says that the have yet to hear of a battery replacement anywhere in North America. Also, the price has gone down significantly since the pack was introduced.

Just what I hear...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #58
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
You ain't old enough, Big Dave. No one here knows about the Cummins-powered racers at Indy in the 30s! They did well, without all the razzmatazz of, say, the later Novi. A lesson wasted on people who could buy Gasoline for 15c a gallon....
I think I was referring to the diesels that GM tried to sell back in the 80s. They were junk....as are most GM products.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:59 PM   #59
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
You need help if you think the Yaris is outdated.

Quality NEVER gets old.

Diesel=Hybrid=Jerkoff.

Diesel option costs nearly what the hybrid option does. (compared to buying a Yaris)

Diesel fuel is currently 25% MORE than gasoline. Explain how paying a premium for a diesel engine PLUS 25% more for fuel is going to cost LESS.

I await your answer and if you are right I will be the firt to admit it.
The Yaris is getting old. The engine is old, there are other cars that are starting to get 40 mpg, and Yaris is essentially the same car as it was back in 2006. In today's world of car's being completely redesigned every 3 to 4 years, having basically the same car in 2012 as 2006 leads you to think it is outdated. I don't know if the term quality is what I think of when I think of the Yaris. Do a google search on quality car and Yaris doens't come up. Reliable, yes....quality...no. Its cheap, has the basics, and and will last over 300K miles so longevity and quality don't meet at the Toyota dealer under the line of Yaris cars.

As for the diesel, I think if enough are produced, the cost will not be 25% more. I personally would like to have one as it would give you better mileage. Now I don't know the cost of diesel fuel in your area, but here in Indy, diesel fuel is only 7& more expensive.

Multiple the savings by 300k miles and I believe you will come out ahead in the long run.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:08 AM   #60
bronsin

Quote:
Not so far, by what I hear. Our local dealer says that the have yet to hear of a battery replacement anywhere in North America. Also, the price has gone down significantly since the pack was introduced.

Just what I hear...
That is substantially correct. The batteries dont fail, last a long time, and replacements are on ebay for half what the dealer wants.

Having said that the car is a total ripoff. Bottom line it makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:26 AM   #61
bronsin

The ECHO got 40 mpg + back in 2000. How nice the so call "new and improved" models from other companies are "starting" to get 40 mpg.

I would argue the Yaris is a step in the wrong direction from the ECHO. It is heavier. Remember the 1985 Honda Civic? The one that got ~50 mpg highway?
What are the "new and improved" ones getting, huh? 35 mpg hiway?

And I do not believe for one second those claims of Ford and others with larger engines than the ECHO/Yaris that they get an honest 40 mpg. No sir!

The 1.5 liter engine in the ECHO/Yaris is the best small engine made today by a large margin. Nothing else comes close. MPG wise and powerwise (106 hp)

Although the "engine of the future" is even smaller IMO.

Before you buy one of these "cutting edge cars of the future" with a hybrid or diesel engine that will "pay off after 300,000 miles" (are you kidding me?!)
all I ask is you DO THE MATH beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
The Yaris is getting old. The engine is old, there are other cars that are starting to get 40 mpg, and Yaris is essentially the same car as it was back in 2006. In today's world of car's being completely redesigned every 3 to 4 years, having basically the same car in 2012 as 2006 leads you to think it is outdated. I don't know if the term quality is what I think of when I think of the Yaris. Do a google search on quality car and Yaris doens't come up. Reliable, yes....quality...no. Its cheap, has the basics, and and will last over 300K miles so longevity and quality don't meet at the Toyota dealer under the line of Yaris cars.

As for the diesel, I think if enough are produced, the cost will not be 25% more. I personally would like to have one as it would give you better mileage. Now I don't know the cost of diesel fuel in your area, but here in Indy, diesel fuel is only 7& more expensive.

Multiple the savings by 300k miles and I believe you will come out ahead in the long run.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #62
TLyttle

Yeah, my buddy's Echo still gets better mileage than my Yaris, but it IS smaller. We could never been able to make it do as much as the Yaris, strictly because of its lack of room. Other than that, my main objection to the newer cars is the added BS that one must buy on a standard model. I don't NEED the alarms and other electronics; I just want a car that will move me from A to B with as little trouble as possible, using as little fuel as possible. 40mpg is not new to me; I was getting that from my cars in the 60s.

I do, however, enjoy the lack of corrosion built into today's cars, and the longevity they are showing. Somehow, I just know that it will be the damn electronics that will kill my Yaris...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #63
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
You guys may know it already, but I just read today that the 2012 is available in 3 door and 5 door only, no sedan this year, that sucks. When I have to get rid of this one, no more yaris for me.......waaaaa
Old 01-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #64
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Quote:
Yeah, my buddy's Echo still gets better mileage than my Yaris, but it IS smaller. We could never been able to make it do as much as the Yaris, strictly because of its lack of room. Other than that, my main objection to the newer cars is the added BS that one must buy on a standard model. I don't NEED the alarms and other electronics; I just want a car that will move me from A to B with as little trouble as possible, using as little fuel as possible. 40mpg is not new to me; I was getting that from my cars in the 60s.

I do, however, enjoy the lack of corrosion built into today's cars, and the longevity they are showing. Somehow, I just know that it will be the damn electronics that will kill my Yaris...
Makes me remember cars that came with manual chokes and manual floor vents for ventilation. How long would today's cars last if they had these old systems?

Old 01-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #65
bronsin

[QUOTE=TLyttle;621242] 40mpg is not new to me; I was getting that from my cars in the 60s.

QUOTE]

Granted mileage was better in the 80s than it is today.

I know Honda Civics in 1985 got nearly 50 mpg highway. And my brothers 1983 Renault Alliance got 53 mpg when we were on a trip from Morgantown WV to Houston.

But what car(s) was it that got 40 mpg in the 60s?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #66
TLyttle

Morris Minor for one. Mine got 59mpg Imp, but I helped it a bit. Minis got even better mileage, and a few other orphans got better than that on poorer fuel. I must admit that I go back to the 50s as well as the 60s, but in those days I couldn't afford gas guzzlers even at 35c/gal.

And I didn't mind adjusting my floor vents and manual chokes and starter buttons (they're back, fergodsakes!), it was just part of driving a car. We also had no-draft vents that worked very well indeed! I don't need my Minor back, but it wouldn't be any surprise or drawback.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #67
bronsin

My father adored his Moris Minor. There were not a lot of them in Brooklyn and that was long before foreighn cars became in any sense of the word acceptable so it was something of a cross to bear.

Especially driving across the GW Bridge in any kind of wind.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #68
charles nelson

Drives: red Liftback
Compact cars more efficient than sub-compacts

I just read a new 2012 report that states that the new compact cars are more gas efficient than sub-compact. Partly because the compacts have slightly longer chassis which allow a better airflow than the short stubby sub-compacts.
With the 55-mpg rules coming on in a few years a lot of aerodynamic studies have been done. Most subcompacts also have nearly vertical rear ends to maximize rear seat-rear storage space. Engineers have not been able to smooth the airflow as much as the longer compacts' rear sheet metal.
Both GM and Toyota are finding that their newly designed compacts are getting 40-50 mpg while their sub-compacts are struggling to reach 40 mpg.
charles nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:16 AM   #69
Damo

Drives: 2011 Yaris 3-Door Hatch white
Luckily I didnt buy my Yaris being overly concerned with mileage.

For me it was all about the 14 cup holders :)
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:34 AM   #70
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Here, in Sydney. Yaris are every where the 2nd generation is multiplying on the road.

Most are 3 doors hatch backs.I noticed that this year so many people are buying Yaris
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #71
docB

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Why isn't a prius diesel/battery car available? How come a Chevy volt doesn't have a tiny tubine? It would be great to run any type of full just to recharge the battery to power the thing to extended range. I think it would be awesome to loose all the airbags in exchange for all the stupid people who don't believe that driving requires one's undivided attention. I had an '89 Justy w/ the 3 hole engine and a CVT. Got over 49 mpg on a trip with it. It had a carb. The fuel we burn could give us better milage, too. Get rid of the alcohol. Look at F1 and the custom blends of full they got to make mileage and power at the end of the turbo era...
doc
docB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #72
TLyttle

In my experience, turbines are THIRSTY! Chrysler found that out 50 years ago, Rover before them. Here in the model builders world, miniature turbines are the rage, and their fuel loads are outrageous! I run small diesels, and the fuel tanks are really small; models running 90mph for miles on 1oz of fuel.

US safety laws have made sure that we must buy heavy vehicles so that we survive running into bridge abutments at 55mph; answer is not to run into bridge abutments at 55 mph. The extra weight costs us fuel, period.