Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
thatbryanguy

Drives: Yaris 3dr hatch
AEM FIC fight for turbo!!!

I'm cross posting this here for the hope of reaching someone who knows for sure!!

Ok so here's the story...I got an AEM FIc and a boomslang harness last year. Installed and tuned naturally aspirated making about an extra 10hp/7ish torque in so low spots. On the last dyno pull my engine bogs out and dies with what has become a dreaded crank sensor malfunction code. Sent the FIC to AEM and other sources to determine it was the FICs fault. Internals were replaced and sent back to me with the same problem, sent off again spending another $100 for shipping the harness and FIC all over the US to make sure it's the FIC and it was (AEM denied it being the FIC this time) sent back to me and after AEM this time said they did nothing but tests to see if the FIC was putting out the right signals, it seems it works now. I have recently bought a zage turbo kit so I definitely want this to work now! Installed the harness and FiC and no more crank signal CEL!! Yay!...

BUT a new CEL has arrived. "MAF or VAF circuit A too high input" says my actron pocket scan thingy. If I erase this code, the engine immediately stalls out.
P0103 is the code. Hooking up my air hoses wrong? Or could this link to the FIC beig bad again? I'm clueless...
thatbryanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Did you load a base map into it when you got it back (and change the injector response time from the default to at least 800us)?

Where did you hook up the FIC's hose to?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
thatbryanguy

I didn't load a base map on it, I have no idea what that would do but if that would cause this then that's probably the answer. I'm almost positive the hoses aren't the problem...just didnt want to 100% rule the options out.running from that maf sensor Tee'd between that hose going to the intake manifold.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
thatbryanguy

Any chance loading a cal file on there would bring back that old CEL we were seeing Scott? They tested my cal file at AEM and said there wasn't a problem with that cal file.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbryanguy View Post
Any chance loading a cal file on there would bring back that old CEL we were seeing Scott? They tested my cal file at AEM and said there wasn't a problem with that cal file.
Good question. I can't remember if I tried your cal file or just loaded mine on it before connecting yours on my car. Can you email me your cal file?
Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
thatbryanguy

Yea I'll email it to you. I do remember sending it to you but I'm not sure I remember if you said you used it. I think I sent it to you to make sure everything was set right because I have no idea what I'm looking at hah.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbryanguy View Post
Yea I'll email it to you. I do remember sending it to you but I'm not sure I remember if you said you used it. I think I sent it to you to make sure everything was set right because I have no idea what I'm looking at hah.
You can actually start with the blank map that AEM includes and then just change the injector response time on the settings section to 810us. With that, on a stock car everything should run fine with not codes being thrown.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
thatbryanguy

I'll give that a shot in the A.M. I sure hope it's all good now. It's been a long journey and way too much money for just an FIC because of all the shipping back and forth all over the place haha.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
After the adventures that fnkgrv had with his FIC and some others like this I'm just not so certain about those things...

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
do you still have the jump leads that you can disconnect the fic with all wiring installed?
try that see if anything happens. if still a problem, its wiring or car sensor

save your map and create a new map with all values 0, see if you still have issues.
if so its the fic unit again. do you have a scan gauge with freeze frame? that will tell you exactly when the code popped. you can also cross reference and watch values change.

hope this helps a bit.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #11
thatbryanguy

Alright so CTScott suggested the problem may be with the '07 yaris ECU. Apparently there was a common issue with this ECU having an overly sensitive crank sensor input or something along those lines. So before buying an '08 ECU to hopefully fix this long running fight against getting the FIC to work in my Yaris, I installed everything in an '09 yaris. Fingers crossed that car ran fine with no codes thrown or anything! So if anyone else out there is trying to get the AEM FIC to work in an '07 yaris but having trouble, this may be a part of the solution. Getting ready to order an '08 ECU and will update if everything works out!
Old 04-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
D'Oh! I just bought a boomslang/fic...this thread fills me with confidence.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
thatbryanguy

Yea if you get this problem then there may be hope! It's another $50 hope, but it's hope none the less! I'll update as soon as my new ECU comes in (cost $60 after shipping) to confirm this as a solution!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
kou

Drives: 08 lb
Today I just installed the AEM fic in a 2008 yaris I set the response time to 810us and calibrated it, I am using the 1.07hex file that it came installed with I have no issues at any RPM (hope it stays that way). I am running NA at the moment preinstalled to get some factory data before I go boosted.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
thatbryanguy

Sweet that's good news to hear, yea my '08 ECU should be in sometime this week and hopefully this nightmare will be over and I can get on with installing my turbo!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
kou

Drives: 08 lb
AEM fic still working well today.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
great news
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
thatbryanguy

Update, got my 08 ECU in and the car runs good with that and I don't get the crankshaft position sensor CEL anymore when i plug the FIC in. BUT now my car dies out with 3 misfire codes. Random misfire, cyl 1, and cyl 3. What could this be caused by?