Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-15-2017, 01:29 AM   #1
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Buying an old high mileage Rav 4... Am I crazy?

The wife and I need a second car and are thinking of getting a beater. Thankfully we live in one of the few places in Canada that rust has forgotten about and old cars are cheap and plentiful.

Looking at a 2003 Rav 4 that has 450,000km on it. Owner claims to have all the service records and has had the car since they purchased it new.

I've read a bit about the ECM issues - seems like it can be a simple repair - and isn't a huge deal as long as it's caught before the ECM damages the transmission.

Am I crazy? Is this going to be way more expensive to repair than a car of a similar vintage? Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks Folks!
Old 02-15-2017, 02:13 AM   #2
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
At that age, at that kind of mileage, it would have to be priced close to free for me to take the risk. But that's just me...
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
thinking of getting a beater.
If the price and your expectations for what this vehicle will bring you are in line with a 'beater' designation, then go for it.

Treated right they can last forever http://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2010/...h-out-of-rav-4

Last edited by WeeYari; 02-15-2017 at 09:32 AM.
WeeYari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #4
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
bought a 2003 rav4 brand new. she was boat anchor reliable for 8 years and ~75K miles. sold it on ebay in 2011 for $7500 i think

on a road trip to sequoia/ kings canyon 2004

i always liked the little 2 door model like this

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Two things you need to consider for a purchase like this.

1. Cost, does it fit what you're willing to pay
2. You will have to do some work on it guranteed even if it passes safety today, things will need to be replaced (unless the current owner replaced so ist everything which they likely didn't). This will cost you a lot of time and some cash (if you wrench yourself) and it will cost you a lot in cash if you have a mechanic do your work. Guaranteed the 10mm bolts throughout the engine bay are rusted through even if the body is in fine condition. This makes short 2 hr jobs sometime 5+ hrs for yourelf or add cost to the original job for a mechanic to do.

As you can see #2 will have an effect on point #1. In the end this on ultimately a decision that can only be made by you.

I would bring ramps with you and drive the car up on them to inspect everything. Don't buy it if the current owner won't let you do it.

I've done that with my last 2 car purchases (both >10 years old) and I've either been able to get the car for much less due to easy for me to fix gasket leaks or I've gotten a car in great mechanical shape and both have been great reliable cars bought for a low price.

Keep in mind oil burning will be an issue in an engine w/ 450k km. You'll have to check oil levels every week and keep a hug of oil in the car.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
i always liked the little 2 door model like this

^ My favourite RAVs to date. Even better in ragtop iteration.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I always wanted a two-door RAV.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #8
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Two things you need to consider for a purchase like this.

1. Cost, does it fit what you're willing to pay
2. You will have to do some work on it guranteed even if it passes safety today, things will need to be replaced (unless the current owner replaced so ist everything which they likely didn't). This will cost you a lot of time and some cash (if you wrench yourself) and it will cost you a lot in cash if you have a mechanic do your work. Guaranteed the 10mm bolts throughout the engine bay are rusted through even if the body is in fine condition. This makes short 2 hr jobs sometime 5+ hrs for yourelf or add cost to the original job for a mechanic to do.

As you can see #2 will have an effect on point #1. In the end this on ultimately a decision that can only be made by you.

I would bring ramps with you and drive the car up on them to inspect everything. Don't buy it if the current owner won't let you do it.

I've done that with my last 2 car purchases (both >10 years old) and I've either been able to get the car for much less due to easy for me to fix gasket leaks or I've gotten a car in great mechanical shape and both have been great reliable cars bought for a low price.

Keep in mind oil burning will be an issue in an engine w/ 450k km. You'll have to check oil levels every week and keep a hug of oil in the car.
Best part of moving to BC from Ontario - no safety on used cars! And I'm on Vancouver Island so no rust. I'm pretty sure my Yaris has more rust than the Rav4!

Good points though!

If what the seller says is true I'm going to take a look this weekend hopefully.