Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #55
Mikeb Yaris

Drives: 08 Sedan Base Auto/PWR BLK
Here's an interesting (I think) observation...

Driving becomes second nature and driving habits truly ARE habits! In two days of my bet with the wife, I have caught myself using DFCO, accelerating very slowly and popping the AT into N at trafic lights. I am having to make a conscious EFFORT to drive "normal"!
Mikeb Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #56
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Drives: '08 LB MT
I had to do the same. The good thing, is that you get used to it quickly! After only a couple of weeks of driving better, 65mph seems so FAST!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #57
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
I try to slow down.

But i fail.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:11 PM   #58
TheUnGroomed

Drives: 08 Meteorite LB
Send a message via AIM to TheUnGroomed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb Yaris View Post
Here's an interesting (I think) observation...

Driving becomes second nature and driving habits truly ARE habits! In two days of my bet with the wife, I have caught myself using DFCO, accelerating very slowly and popping the AT into N at trafic lights. I am having to make a conscious EFFORT to drive "normal"!
Are you saying that you have caught yourself saving gas, and you have to put effort into not saving gas?
TheUnGroomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #59
Mikeb Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnGroomed View Post
Are you saying that you have caught yourself saving gas, and you have to put effort into not saving gas?
Bizarre, isn't it?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #60
duck

Drives: 2007 Silver Sedan
how much gas is saved when turning off car immediately after parking as opposed to waiting to take seatbelt off, roll up windows, etc?

I ask because I left my old car running at a drag strip with the keys locked inside once... for maximum performance, I used race fuel and kept my gas tank practically empty. It idled for a couple of hours before I got back into it and was still able to get me to the nearest gas station many miles away.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #61
Mikeb Yaris

I imagine someone with a scangauge can tell us the gph useage idling?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #62
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
how much gas is saved when turning off car immediately after parking as opposed to waiting to take seatbelt off, roll up windows, etc?

I ask because I left my old car running at a drag strip with the keys locked inside once... for maximum performance, I used race fuel and kept my gas tank practically empty. It idled for a couple of hours before I got back into it and was still able to get me to the nearest gas station many miles away.
I have a Kiwi so I will see if it tells how much gas is being used while idling...I would guess that over time, it saves a bit of gas here and there. Probably not the bulk of your consumption, but hypermilers seem to do everything possible to use the least amount of gas.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #63
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Yea it's probably not *worth* doing, but it feels good to know that however small the amount is, I'm using the absolute LEAST amount of gas possible. It just doesn't make sense anyways, why let your car run while you do things that you could do with it off?
Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 PM   #64
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
The A/C does effect MPG on 4 cylinder engines,the Myth Busters tested this on 2 V8 trucks if I remeber right.They proved that windows down up until 55mph was better then the A/C on below 55mph.Above 55mph,A/C was better then windows down above 55mph.Now that was on a V8 engine,I would say on our engine windows down would be best until about 75mph,then I would crack the windows and still not turn on the A/C.
And I thought our heater was just heat coming from the engine bay,no coils or anything.

Last edited by eco; 10-21-2008 at 09:38 PM.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:48 AM   #65
natethegreat38
Party like a Barack star

What I don't really understand is what some hypermilers do: turn off their engine as they approach red lights, stop signs, etc... I know this still saves gas but the engine starting stresses the engine and the starter, so I don't know why you would want unnecessary and additional stress on the engine/starter :?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 AM   #66
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Nate,

On modern, small engine, fuel injected vehicles such as the Yaris the wear and tear and fuel usage of a warm start is equivalent to just 7 seconds of idling. This means that if you will spend more than 7 seconds coasting into and then sitting at a light (or just sitting at a light if you have the AT) it is easier on the vehicle to be turned off and then restarted.

Mike b,

The Yaris consumes 0.2 GPH at an unencumbered idle. While that may not sound like much if you think about how much time you spend idling over the course of a full tank it becomes a significant factor in your overall mileage.

eco,

Several folks on this site with ScanGauges have done extensive testing in the past and we all found the same thing: In the Yaris it is always more efficient to have the windows down than to use a/c, regardless of speed. Unfortunately that thread was lost in the hack.

As for the heater the Yaris does have coils for producing heat on a cold start. Once the coolant temperature reaches a threshold the coils deactivate. Using the heater does affect mileage, by the way, although much less so than using a/c. It steals heat from the coolant and this causes the ECU to run a richer fuel map in an effort to produce more waste heat to reheat it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #67
YarisDude

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
No Brakes

Drive like you have no brakes. This forces you to take it easy and employ long coasts...with engine off (of course).

For Bailout, I like the bike rack. Quick query, on an old lost thread you discussed the special chains you snap on for snowy conditions. Who makes them and where did you purchase? Thanks!

Ken
YarisDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #68
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Using the heater does affect mileage, by the way, although much less so than using a/c. It steals heat from the coolant and this causes the ECU to run a richer fuel map in an effort to produce more waste heat to reheat it.
Let's see, by this twisted logic, losing heat from the radiator also increases fuel usage because it causes "the ECU to run a richer fuel map in an effort to produce more waste heat to reheat it." NOT!!!

Turning on the heater only causes the thermostat to close a little to compensate for the temperature loss that would otherwise occur through the radiator. Any modern (or old) engine produces so much waste heat that there is absolutely no need to make an effort to create more.
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:21 AM   #69
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
Dude, I am so ready for this battle to begin...

I also really want to know what effect running the heater has.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #70
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog99 View Post
Let's see, by this twisted logic, losing heat from the radiator also increases fuel usage because it causes "the ECU to run a richer fuel map in an effort to produce more waste heat to reheat it."
Correct. This is why you see northern truckers and other vehicles block their grille in the cold months. Hypermilers follow suit, many of which block their grilles in the Winter (myself included).

As an example, on a February morning I can climb the mountain I traverse every day with at least one passenger and snowboard stuff and other weight involved, and by the the time we've reached 7,500 feet of elevation the coolant temperature has dropped into the mid 170's F. Without warning my already shitty climbing mileage will dip another 10-20% and by the time we're reaching the summit at 8,900 feet the coolant temperature is back up in the mid 180's and my mileage returns to the expected amount.

Blocking the grille helps the car warm up quicker and helps it to maintain an optimal coolant temperature. With one in place I no longer see those big dips in mileage in the coldest part of the day as my coolant temp stays in the mid 180's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisDude View Post
For Bailout, I like the bike rack. Quick query, on an old lost thread you discussed the special chains you snap on for snowy conditions. Who makes them and where did you purchase? Thanks!
Hi Ken,

They are called Spikes Spiders (the "Compact" version) and I got them directly from the manufacturer at http://www.spikes-spiders.com/ . I just added the mounting brackets back onto my front wheels last weekend as we've already had our first snow of the season.

Thank you for the compliment on the bike rack. Just wait... in a few weeks I'll have pictures of the snow sports adapter attached to it and an antenna farm of snowboards and skis sticking up out of it.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #71
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Drive like you have no brakes? That is why I get good mileage, because most of my previous cars had inadequate brakes, so anticipating stops, not slowing down for corners, etc, became... habit.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #72
dvlnblkdrs
Shush!

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris
Send a message via AIM to dvlnblkdrs Send a message via Yahoo to dvlnblkdrs
but bailout, wouldnt that same issue effect those of us living in warm climates much less if any at all? the coldest it really gets here is like 60 degrees...

dvlnblkdrs is offline   Reply With Quote